Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
31-08-2007, 09:45 PM   #11

Re: Baby tree fern

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
[/b]

Oh you would laugh, Mags, I run around in the Jungle Room in the Winter with a mist sprayer like mad....... everything gets mist sprayed, even the things that don't especially need high humidity.....!!
...there you are then, just add it to your list and it'll be fine!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
31-08-2007, 10:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moli
Thats a nice size. love Tree ferns, I bought a so called baby last year, it wass too big for my Greenhouse, so was over wintered in a friends bigger one, its still there!!and has got huge!
Good grief, Moli, how tall was it? It must be magnificent. This one's maximum height is 3 feet......supposedly. Years ago I bought a dwarf crepe myrtle that wasn't...by the time it was over 6 feet tall I wrote to the nursery; they apologized and sent me another free...which is like the first, over 10 feet now...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
01-09-2007, 03:52 PM   #13

Good luck with it. They do well outdoors here, just need a bit of straw or something to protect the crown from frost.

Catsey Veteran

01-09-2007, 03:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinahsmum
Good luck with it. They do well outdoors here, just need a bit of straw or something to protect the crown from frost.
That's amazing, Kazz said the same thing. I would have thought your Winters would have been far too cold, except maybe for the places on the coast that get the benefit of the warm Atlantic current (forget the name of it). How cold does it actually get there?

Catsey Veteran

01-09-2007, 04:13 PM   #15

The Gulf Stream! Actually I think it keeps the whole country warmer than other places on the same latitude.

I think you will be interested to read about Inverewe - I think it will be further north than Moli (though stand to be corrected) but is on the west coast of Scotland. You would be amazed at what grows there! It is a fabulous place. http://www.aboutscotland.com/land/inverewe.html
Hurrah for the Gulf Stream

I'm in the deep south Eileen. Last winter we had very few frosts at all; the winter before it was quite cold and we had periods of several days where the temperature never got above 0C/32F day or night. It seldom goes far below freezing here though. Here's a link that tells me the average mean winter temperature range is between 5 and 9C (42 - 50F). Lucky aren't we? It will be different further north in Britain. http://www.greatdaysout.org/dorset-holiday.php

Catsey Veteran

01-09-2007, 04:24 PM   #16

Thanks, DM, that was an interesting link, as yours always are! I envy you the weather!! Here's a link to ours here: you can see why the tree fern would not last outdoors...http://www.weather.com/weather/wxcli...01?from=search

Catsey Veteran

01-09-2007, 04:34 PM   #17

Yes - for all that we complain about our weather, it is reassuring that we don't get the regular extremes of heat and cold that other places do.