Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: tabby
31-10-2006, 01:46 PM   #21

Re: Diversity in gardens

The attraction of dirty water to cats remains a mystery, Kazz. Experiments have been done, offering them bowls of 'natural' standing water and fresh. They showed no marked preference for pond water.

I reckon it's a matter of dignity and overblown ego: they just like the idea of finding their own water.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
31-10-2006, 08:49 PM   #22

Sandy, your garden is absolutely stunning! In the picture with the rose and clematis, what's that dark purple plant to the left? Doesn't look likre bapista, nor delphinium.., What a restful garden; you must spend a lot of time there. As to cats, all of mine over the years have lapped from the tiny lily pond I have; never seemed to hurt them...and my Siamese once caught and ate a small frog!!! Naughty boy!

Catsey Junior

31-10-2006, 09:58 PM   #23

Dandysmom, the dark flowers on the left side is another Clematis, I'm Clematis and rose mad!

So glad you like the garden. I do spend a great deal of time there, but I'm a fidgety gardener, always fiddling with something, lol!

The pond area is my favourite spot. The cat's too.

Typical of a Siamese to be so idiosyncratic! Most cats have an instinct to leave frogs alone, since some of them are poisonous. A visiting cat caught one of my frogs this summer and the frog SCREAMED so loudly that the cat dropped it in astonishment and it escaped. I had no idea that frogs could scream, thought I was going round the bend, but I checked it out and it's true.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
31-10-2006, 10:12 PM   #24

I'm always learning things here, didn't know frogs could scream either! The one Su-ling caught had just recently been a tadpole, very small frog, and eaten before I could stop it! Any particular type of roses you especially like? I don't care particularly for modern hybrids, beautiful but too fussy! I like the heirloom roses, species, and David Austin English roses. Have a Souvenier de Malmaison in bloom now; we haven't had frost et here in Washington.

Catsey Junior

01-11-2006, 07:47 AM   #25

Love the David Austin Roses, but my gorgeous Abraham Darby climber was killed in the bad winter we had 3 years ago, so I haven't bought any more, since all the other roses survived.

I'm keen on the Fruitesorbe climber in the picture, also have 2 Zepherine Drouhin climbers, wonderful perfume. Then I have about a dozen other shrub roses, all floribundas, no hybrid tea roses. Very keen on my latest addition, a German rose called Aprikola. I'll dig out of few pics if you're interested. I also have a monster called Smartie, looks and grows like a wild rose but has delicate very pale apricot/pink single-petalled flowers and flowers all summer.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
01-11-2006, 01:00 PM   #26

Now I'm with you on the Zepherine Drouhin the perfume is proper old rose isn't it and no thorns - a must in my book I love roses but not keen on the thorns. Although I will plant them on the boundaries of the garden where I'm not liable to have to walk against them.
I love honeysuckle and jasmine in with my roses.

Yes please pictures,

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 10 cats (stray stayed) 3 sleeping x
01-11-2006, 03:31 PM   #27

Sandy, your garden looks beautiful x

Catsey Junior

01-11-2006, 05:27 PM   #28

Aprikola

Lavender Dream

New Dawn

Sorbefruite

Rose Smartie

A visiting rogue called Murk!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
01-11-2006, 07:41 PM   #29

What lovely flowers; Sandy your garden is truly superb!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
01-11-2006, 08:58 PM   #30

Absolutely green with envy. What a stunning garden Sandy.