Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Closed Thread

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggy
06-03-2008, 12:09 PM   #51

Re: Another dog attack hits the news

How about we start posting some positive stories on this thread because it seems to me its turning into a bit of a witch hunt,hey fran? Several valued members of this forum who are responsible Staffy owners have been sickened by this.These people understand their dogs breed,have never had any cause to worried about their dogs behaviour because they are just that "responsible owners".
I have to agree with Az about the Bull Terrier Type as there are many backyard breeders breeding these types. The UK KC sums them us as Extremely reliable, highly intelligent and affectionate, especially with children.

I think that it would have been much fairer Fran if you would have acknowledged that there are responsible Staffy owners with well behaved staffys on the forum.

http://community.livejournal.com/stop_bsl/130606.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...st/7200006.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cumbria/6922746.stm

http://www.cleverstaffords.co.uk/clever4.htm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7239464.stm

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
06-03-2008, 12:22 PM   #52

Good to see some possitve stories about the breed for a change. Shame the positvie stories aren't as sensationalised by the media as the negative are. I feel very sorry for all the responsible staffy owners that have to bear the brunt of this breed hate campaign.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7239464.stm

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
06-03-2008, 12:35 PM   #53

Elaine, I read this report several weeks ago on the BBC website and I was heartened by its content. I did think about DM, Karen and Moli whilst reading it. I can't comment as I don't have any experience of SBTs at all - good or bad, but then I have a general wariness of all dogs and always have had.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
06-03-2008, 12:44 PM   #54

Erin, I'm afraid that I don't know that there are responsible staffy owners on here, that own friendly staffies. People on here are after all 'cyber' people, they could tell us anything about themselves and who are we to argue as we don't know them?? I speak from 'real' experiences of the breed which in my case have not been good experiences and I'm sickend that day after day, children, other dogs and pets are being injured and attacked by not only staffies but certain other breeds too. Whilst I agree all breeds have the potential to injure, seemingly certain breeds do so a great deal more than others. How would you feel if it was your child injured by one of these dogs? I know how it feels as I know someone who's child has been attacked by one and I've witnessed an attack in our local park where two young boys playing footie were set upon by a staffie off it's lead. I'm aftraid that if petitions ever came into ban the breed I would sign them. Obviously everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I appreciate that just as I am entitled to mine

Admin Team

Cats owned: Bengal
Az is Male
06-03-2008, 01:58 PM   #55

Fran - how do you know they were _actual_ staffs? As I said in my first post, just because they look like staffs doesn't mean they are.

And why are KC registered Staffordshire Terriers the ONLY breed that the KC recommend with children?

You need to realise that the 'bad' dogs are not proper staffs, they are something else, breed differently and brought up differently.

The nicest dogs I have ever come across are KC registered staffs! They would literally lick you all day long - worst guard dogs you could ever get because they are so friendly.

The worst dogs I have come across round here are border collies and that chocolate lab! Nasty things they are! (of course I am _just_ on about the ones here - I'm sure well bred and well brought up ones would be entirely different).

What we need is to stop breeding, esp BYBs! If people don't show their dogs, have wins behind them, they shouldn't be breeding imo.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
06-03-2008, 02:06 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran
Erin, I'm afraid that I don't know that there are responsible staffy owners on here, that own friendly staffies. People on here are after all 'cyber' people, they could tell us anything about themselves and who are we to argue as we don't know them?? I speak from 'real' experiences of the breed which in my case have not been good experiences and I'm sickend that day after day, children, other dogs and pets are being injured and attacked by not only staffies but certain other breeds too. Whilst I agree all breeds have the potential to injure, seemingly certain breeds do so a great deal more than others. How would you feel if it was your child injured by one of these dogs? I know how it feels as I know someone who's child has been attacked by one and I've witnessed an attack in our local park where two young boys playing footie were set upon by a staffie off it's lead. I'm aftraid that if petitions ever came into ban the breed I would sign them. Obviously everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I appreciate that just as I am entitled to mine
Can't believe you said that fran!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggy
06-03-2008, 02:32 PM   #57

I too am shocked at that comment
After all the help and support you have recieved off us "cyber" people when you have needed it and thats the thanks we get,you have just gone way to far Fran!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
06-03-2008, 03:10 PM   #58

I completely disagree with that statement, Fran - sorry.

I understand that people online are, to some extent, anonymous, however on Catsey there is a really strong family feel and a bond between many of the regular members.

I really feel quite insulted by that statement as it does, by implication, say that I am misleading people about who I am, what I do and what I believe. I would never do that in a place that I have spent 2 1/2 years in and with people I feel very comfortable with.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
06-03-2008, 03:19 PM   #59

I am having a hard time believing what you have just posted PK, we have known each other for over 3 years okl, never met, but I would never ever think of you other than a responsible dog owner, and find it extremely hurtful you posting you do not know if I am a responsible staffie owner....I have owned the breed for over 20 years and feel I have real experience of the breed!!!!
I am stopping now before I say something I shouldn't...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
06-03-2008, 05:13 PM   #60

This has gotten completely out of hand, people! Lets stop, take a deep breath, agree to disagree and drop the subject ! Enough has been said and it is getting hurtful now !!!!!!!!

Closed Thread