Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: torbie/white & 2 siamese xs
13-10-2010, 07:04 PM   #11

Re: Next doors Cat

Aww poor kitties. They are lucky you are so helpful toward them.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
13-10-2010, 10:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
What annoys me most about this situation is that Shelley found them a place in a shelter - rare as gold dust, but the stupid neighbour would not stir herself to phone up. Those cats could have been rehomed by now.

Poor Shelley and her OH and poor cats. You seem to have been left to take over some responsibility for them (flea and worm) almost by default.

It's not the cats' fault, nor yours but you are all suffering. Are your neighbours right in the head?
Oh yes Angie, she's right in the head alright, just doesn't give a damn about the cats. Other than the way she treats them she's actualy quite a good neighbour. We were all friends but it does spoil the friendship.
It is unforgivable to turn down the shelter place and relegate them to a miserable life outdoors in winter. She keeps them apparently so her adult son doesn't get upset.
To be honest it makes my blood boil.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
13-10-2010, 10:23 PM   #13

Does the adult son live there? Have you had the opportunity to discuss it with him? Maybe he's not as thick-headed as his Mum .....

Catsey Veteran

13-10-2010, 10:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
Does the adult son live there? Have you had the opportunity to discuss it with him? Maybe he's not as thick-headed as his Mum .....
We have mentioned how cruel it is for them to be outdoors and he says he's let them in but mum wont.
At the moment one cat is in her box outdoors in our porch and the other is on our bed, just been getting lots of felty knots out of her fur. We will put her out later but i think she'l come back in once Malaika goes to bed.
I will have to treat them though as i'm bothered about my own pets as well as these two.

Catsey Veteran

13-10-2010, 10:31 PM   #15

Yes, you definitely don't want a flea infestation! Is she at least feeding them?

Catsey Veteran

13-10-2010, 11:12 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
Yes, you definitely don't want a flea infestation! Is she at least feeding them?
Most days Eileen

Catsey Veteran

13-10-2010, 11:36 PM   #17

"most days" ....... sigh

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 Moggies
14-10-2010, 11:29 AM   #18

I'm not surprised that your neighbours cats are trying to make a home with you & I wonder if they have or are trying with other neighbours? Have you talked to anyone else in the neighbourhood?

What about telling your neighbour that her cats are gradually moving in with you & other neighbours & if she's not prepared to let them in her house, does she have any objection if you & other neighbours take them in & keep them? Then, maybe, if you manage to find places in shelters/rescues again, the owner will think they've just move out!!

Catsey Veteran

14-10-2010, 03:30 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbar
I'm not surprised that your neighbours cats are trying to make a home with you & I wonder if they have or are trying with other neighbours? Have you talked to anyone else in the neighbourhood?

What about telling your neighbour that her cats are gradually moving in with you & other neighbours & if she's not prepared to let them in her house, does she have any objection if you & other neighbours take them in & keep them? Then, maybe, if you manage to find places in shelters/rescues again, the owner will think they've just move out!!
Don't think the Cats go anywhere else. She does know they come into our house as we have told her many times and she has seen them in when she has called on us. Before we got the Dog we made it clear that the cats wouldn't be able to come in. She tells us not to let them in not because she cares for the cats but so that we won't be bothered by them.
She simply wont or can't understand were we are coming from.
Your suggestion of us taking them in properly and then rehoming is a good one, except then i dont think we could go through with it. I am resistant to taking over ownership because of vet expenses.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
14-10-2010, 07:55 PM   #20

Its a really tough one. I can never understand peoples attitude to cats, I guess the problem comes from the propaganda that cats are independant. Most people seem to think this means they can fend for themselves.
I can't blame the cats for turning to you but it does put you in a difficult postion. I guess if you have a shed or something you can make home and take over the routine treatment that is at least ensuring them some comfort.
Sorry can't be of much help but legally your hands are tied if the owner won't comply.