Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Ragdoll, BSH & Maine Coons
19-03-2007, 10:34 PM   #11

Re: Breeding of cats

Speaking again as a breeder and a novice one at that i have to agree with some points being made on here.
I do agree that kitten farming is not the way to go although i do maybe think that prrrr wasnt meaning it in quite that way, i think maybe more misworded could be the case
The monetary thing is very true and you are lucky to break even as they say let alone make money. For me its the enjoyment of having my cats and feeling i can give someone else the joy of what my cats bring to me for themselves if that makes sense.
As for cats in rescue's again this is a sad but true fact but i dont think it should be purely the fault of breeders (not causing arguements here ). As a breeder you can afford to be choosy who has your kittens no matter what. Or in my opinion you can. If i didnt like the person for some reason or felt that they didnt click with the cats when they visited then i wouldnt allow them to have one of my kittens full stop. Same as if they come and the cats climb on them and their first response is to brush off the hair to me thats another bad sign as the cats will shed in their house, on furniture, on your best black jacket lol. This is part and parcel of anything with fur. Even people malt and lose hair for goodness sake.
But i do have to STRESS again breeding is not something to be taken lightly and needs careful consideration.
Another thing that has to be taken into consideration too is that there are some bad breeders out there that are in it purely for the money etc and that bad feeling or reputation should not be tarred against us decent breeders that have our cats health and well being first and foremost in whatever we do.
Sorry about that lol (gets down off soapbox )

Sarah
x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
19-03-2007, 10:44 PM   #12

Sarah, you've expressed that beautifully! Thank you for saying what I couldn't quite put into words!

Almost a Veteran Member

19-03-2007, 10:45 PM   #13

and here's me pooping myself in case i'd worded something wrong or offended someone DM lol

Sarah
x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
20-03-2007, 11:12 PM   #14

Hahahaha!!! Well done Sarah - exactly what i was trying to say!!!! lol

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
21-03-2007, 12:24 AM   #15

Hi Sarah.
What constitutes a good breeder in your opinion? See what concerns me is the majority of these breeders have a host of young female cats with perhaps one stud or maybe 2, rarely are these Cats kept once they have finished their usefullness, this to me is disgusting and just typifies everything I hate about so called responsible breeders! How do you see it?

Catsey Veteran

21-03-2007, 02:40 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderdawn
Hi Sarah.
What constitutes a good breeder in your opinion? See what concerns me is the majority of these breeders have a host of young female cats with perhaps one stud or maybe 2, rarely are these Cats kept once they have finished their usefullness, this to me is disgusting and just typifies everything I hate about so called responsible breeders! How do you see it?
I actually agree with you Dawn!!!!!

That kind of behaviour I do also disagree with and think it's unethical.

I also don't really agree with people who breed from pens in their gardens, rather than in the house.

Personally, I will never keep my own stud cat and my girls will all be kept as the lovely pets that they are once they have retired until the end of their days.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
21-03-2007, 03:54 PM   #17

OMG!!! We do agree Charlie.
Dawn.

Catsey Veteran

21-03-2007, 04:01 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderdawn
OMG!!! We do agree Charlie.
Dawn.
LOL - I'm pleased!!!!!

Almost a Veteran Member

21-03-2007, 11:44 PM   #19

Hi Dawn
I think a good breeder should be one who puts their cats welfare and health first and foremost before anything else. They should consider carefully who and where their kittens will be rehomed to and where possible keep in touch with new owners although as you can appreciate that isnt always possible. Not having loads and loads of litter to the extent you dont know who's who and which father is to which litter. Although overlapping of dates on due queens sometimes cannot be helped due to excessive calling occuring.
I have pens in my garden but they are purely for the cats to get access to the fresh air and having the knowledge that they are safe and away from any danger. I would never bring my kittens up outside they would always be indoors joining in with the hustle and bustle of everyday life. Anyone who says they are in it for the money obviously hasnt bred before because as Charlie says somewhere else on a thread there is no money to be made. Yes ok we sell our kittens but at the end of the day they needed kittening pens in which to have their kittens safely, they need heat mats to keep the kittens warm, vet bills to ensure they are healthy or given any meds they need, food and litter obviously and then there is the purchase of the mother cat herself which in my breeds they dont come cheap.
As for the rehoming a queen after breeding i do and dont agree. If the queen has been bred from a few times which ideally should only be four litters in a lifetime i think less if problems occur then I feel IMO its nice if you can spey them and let them go to a family home where they will be lavished with love and attention in a one to one situation. They will never have that in a breeder home no matter how hard you try. Dont get me wrong i am not saying breeding cats are not loved and dont get attention far from it but they would benefit more in a pet household. I think its a nice way of saying thankyou to the queen for all the lovely kittens she produced and the hard labour and slog she had raising them to be able to give her some good years of love and happiness but again thats only my opinion.

Sarah

Catsey Veteran

22-03-2007, 02:58 PM   #20

I do disagree with your last paragraph Sarah, but I guess it depends on how many cats you have in your home to start with.

Personally, when Lily has finished breeding I will have her neutered and keep her as my lifelong pet and buddy. I think that is more of a thank you than rehoming her. She is not a commodity that can just be passed on when I no longer have any use for her.

I do plan to keep one of her female raggie kittens (when she has them!) to carry on the line, and i would do the same with her once her breeding time was over.

That's just my opinion though and, as we have all agreed, we are all entitled to our own opinions.