Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
20-07-2006, 11:51 AM   #11

Re: I was a good girl today

Very well done Jac! I haven't had root canal treatment myself but can imagine it being not very pleasant.........

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 cats
20-07-2006, 11:52 AM   #12

Well ladies I got over my fear (to an extent) of going to the dentist after 28 years of not going! Fortunately my teeth and survived reasonably well but the amount of plaque on them required a pneumatic drill I am totally needle phobic once the injection is in they can do anything. I was offered hypnotherapy for my phobia but was too scared to go in case they thought they had cured me and made me have a needle

Global Moderator

20-07-2006, 12:12 PM   #13

It must be awful to be that scared of going to the dentist Rosie

My mum would never go to the dentist, she was absolutely terrified of them. She was very ill once and had to go into hospital for an operation. They did all the usual checks, pre med etc and discovered one of her teeth was loose. They had to postpone her important op so that she could have her tooth out first. This is the truth......she was more scared of having her tooth out than having her major op!!!

Sadly Missed

Cats owned: Moggie
20-07-2006, 03:14 PM   #14

Oh dear, How awful for all of you, I think this is where I have the advantage over you all, having had a Dad who was a Dentist - and a Godfather who was a Doctor. My dentist - a lady - has for ages been nagging me to have some teeth crowned, to no avail, I work on the idea if it ain't broke don't fix it, but I do go every six months for a check up and always have done, that makes it much more unlikely that I ever need anything major doing.

Just by way of an aside - if any of you have small children needing to go to the dentist do what I did with my younger boy - his teeth were a mess from all the antibiotics etc he had had as a baby and he needed to have two front ones out, Well its so long ago that Batman was all the rage and he wanted the Corgi Batmobile. I promised him he could have it if he was a very brave boy - we went the 'children's afternoon' all the other kids came out crying mummies all sympathetic - my kid comes out "Where is it Mum?" sees it on the table in front of me, out of the box, on to the floor, no tears, happy child making appropriate batmobile noises, and we were the first to be allowed to go home. And I had learnt that little trick from my Dad who always had a little toy for his small patients. Logoes

Global Moderator

20-07-2006, 03:54 PM   #15

That reminds me of another story Logoes........

When my daughter was about 10, she had quite a big cyst come up on the inside of her lower eyelid. The doctor sent us straight to the Eye Hospital for it to be removed.
They were waiting for us when we arrived and we were ushered into a room where Sue had to have an injection underneath her eyelid. Then came the time for the scalpel to cut it out. I was holding her hand tight and they were telling her to be very still....which she was until the knife got closer to her eye, when she sat up! This happened several times and I thought there was no way she was going to let them get near her eye so I told her if she kept still, we would go to the shops after and she could choose the biggest Garfield she wanted! It worked a treat....she didn't budge and they removed the cyst!! Afterwards she went round town with her eyepatch on......and chose her Garfield!! Happy ending!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
20-07-2006, 06:17 PM   #16

Well done Jac - very brave today!

I hate dentists too so can understand your reluctance to have treatment.