Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
11-04-2007, 02:11 PM   #11

Re: Cat carriers for planes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hreow
Welcome!!
Plan well in advance. Your kitten has to be old enough for the injections and then it's a six month wait until you may travel... Also get in touch with the airline you're flying with to check if they have any special demands.
I think it depends where you are going now whether you have to wait the six months. Some countries you can take your pets under the pet passport scheme I think although I am not an expert on these matters by any means

Cats owned: Birman
11-04-2007, 09:29 PM   #12

Thank you all! I'm so excited about this kitten that everyone and the kitchen sink knows, I'm like a woman possessed The kitten's now 8 weeks old, although I could bet she's at least two years old because that's how long it seems I've waited.

Thank you, Fran, for recommending the carrier! It looks very good and seems to fit the criteria for cargo carriers. These days all pets have to travel to the UK in that special pet area in the hold of the plane, you can't take them into the cabin with you. It's a right bummer, but it seems that Defra and at least BA have very strict rules on this. Other European countries / airlines are much more relaxed - but then that goes with a lot of things these days!

I'll certainly update you with pictures once I go visit the kittens in a few weeks' time. Thanks for the warm welcome!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
12-04-2007, 12:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran
I think it depends where you are going now whether you have to wait the six months. Some countries you can take your pets under the pet passport scheme I think although I am not an expert on these matters by any means
That's with the pet passport. You need a vaccination for... rabies is it?... and you need to have it six months before you travel. Or at least that was the state of things when I asked a year ago. After the first time it is probably a case of just maintaining the vaccinations at regular intervals, though.

Found this:
http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/pets/procedures/owners.htm
"5.2 An animal may not enter or re-enter the UK until six calendar months have elapsed from the date the blood sample was drawn and from which a satisfactory test result was achieved. An animal requires only one satisfactory blood test and a six month wait provided the subsequent rabies booster vaccinations are given by the required date."