Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: one
31-08-2008, 10:11 PM   #11

Re: Few questions about a new cat....

ok any tips on introducing them???
ive read some sites...

im thinking plan of action is to open the door (tmorow) supervised with the dogs in tha hall and the cat in the living toom separated by a child gate?

n leave them like that for a few hours before bringing each one in one at a time to introduce on lead?

that sound ok?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
31-08-2008, 10:15 PM   #12

that sounds good to me. Perhaps if you could rub a towel or something over your dog and leave it beside the cat to get used the the scent, and maybe vice versa.

31-08-2008, 10:17 PM   #13

thats a relly good idea thanks

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
31-08-2008, 10:24 PM   #14

Good luck, Sam! I've never had dogs so have no idea about introducing them....let us know how it goes!

31-08-2008, 10:27 PM   #15

will do

will be easier i guess when she goes out in the day (around 6 months?) then they have their own space completly

she has her own room upstairs next to mine - thats her room lol - problem is i forgot about my hamsters which ive now moved.... i cant leave them together - so once shes litter trained she can share my room with myself and one of my dogs. (carpet - her rooms laminate)!

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: None
03-09-2008, 09:19 AM   #16

Congratulations on your new kitten Welcome to the wonderful world of being owned by a cat

Sounds like you've done lots of reading up and are well prepared for whatever may follow. I just have one wee comment to make on feeding your wee one, in reply to your first post:

- Cats like to eat throughout the day, and a constant source of food is good. Also, if you can, avoid feeding her only dry food (this can eventually lead to kidney problems). We have always, with all our cats indoor and outdoor, given them two meals a day of wet food: once in the morning and once in the evening. They usually only ever eat half in one sitting but come back around lunch time / 10pm for more. So I wouldn't clean it up if I were you. All our outdoor cats never had biscuits, as they can go hunting and find their own food, but our indoor cats do have dry food sitting out as I'm out all day at work and they (unusually) do eat all their wet food quite quickly.

Hopefully she'll settle in with your dogs ok, great to hear that she's been brought up with some already.

Looking forward to seeing photos!

03-09-2008, 10:11 AM   #17

update on the kitten:::

sadly she had to go back to the breeder as i had a bad reaction to her.... gutted would be an understatement.....

lucily she has a home for life wiht the breeder so im glad for her..

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: None
03-09-2008, 10:26 AM   #18

sorry to hear that Sam *hugs* It is strange that people who aren't allergic to other animals can be allergic to cats. I'm sure she will be happy with the breeder, and you still have your pups for company

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
03-09-2008, 12:12 PM   #19

That's really sad Sam - I am very sorry for you.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 cats
03-09-2008, 02:38 PM   #20

Give the cat somewhere to hide i.e. carrier basket. Keep the dog on the lead until they both have settled down and can be in each other's company without getting over-excited. I have a lurcher (not known for being great with cats!) but it took just under two hours to get them settled but they had plenty opportunity to size each other up without coming into direct contact and then under strict supervision.