PDA

View Full Version : F.I.P - please read - need help

smudgley
08-09-2005, 10:25 AM
HI guys - just got back from the vets & they think Domino has got feline infectious peritonitis? Anyone have any experience of this? I have left her there & they are going to do some tests - but it will be euthanasia if she is positive. I am obviously worried for her - but also for all the other cats and kittens in my care.

Abbi
08-09-2005, 10:48 AM
so sorry to hear that Smudgley :O( thinking of you.

Fran
08-09-2005, 10:49 AM
Hi Smudgley, I am sorry to hear this :( A few years ago I had to have a cat put to sleep with FIP, he was a young rescue cat that I had adopted and they didn't realise that he was infected at the time of adoption but I hadn't had him long when he started showing symptoms. I had several other cats at the time and was obviously worried for them all but all were fine. None of them were extremely old or young cats though, I think the very young - under a year old and the elderly cats are most at risk. I do hope it turns out to be something other than FIP.....thinking of you

smudgley
08-09-2005, 11:29 AM
thanks Abs & Pk. :-)
That is reassuring to hear, I've read about it on the internet - but it's better hearing from people who have experienced it - Poor little girl - she's got 5 kittens too. I think it will be FIP - but who knows - will have to wait till vets call.

Abbi
08-09-2005, 11:31 AM
when will you get the results Smudge?

Kazz
08-09-2005, 02:06 PM
Hi Good question there when do you get the results back?

I have had no experience of it but a new neighbour rescued a cat and then it was discovered to have it the cat was PTS and the neighbour came round to tell me becuase the vet said the same as PK has said "young and elderly" are liable to be infected, andas my two were abbout 16 then she came to "warn me" which was very nice as they had just moved in themselves.

Is there a test for the kittens is she does prove positive and how
old as the kits now?

Take care Karen

Jeanette
08-09-2005, 05:17 PM
Oh no, I'm so sorry Smudge :(

Moli
08-09-2005, 06:26 PM
Have you heard anything Smudgley?

Kazz
08-09-2005, 06:30 PM
I was just thinking that,Moli

smudgley
08-09-2005, 09:24 PM
Thanks everyone for your concern.
Well it looks like she's ok & it's not FIP.
not sure what is wrong with her - but they think she is just in poor condition & loosing protein in her body - due to the kittens pulling her down. Although she only has 5 kittens - she was found with them when they were 3 weeks old & she had been scavenging - so probably had very poor nutrition during her pregnancy & when the kittens were tiny.
they were busy today & left her til last - due to contamination from bodily fluids if it were positive - so they had only just finished her when I went to collect her & Sooty. They are keeping her overnight.
She has been spayed today (they wanted to have a look inside her & I said she needed spaying anyway- so I left her & they were going to open her up & check for FIP & spay her if it wasn't that) I need to feed her up & monitor her. She is having high protein premium quality kitten food - so can't really give her any better food & she is allowed to eat what she wants so can't really give her any more than she will eat. Will have to just hope she gets her condition back.

Kazz
08-09-2005, 09:36 PM
Poor baby. It must have been hard for her.

There is one thing in the world I would not like to come back as and thats an unwanted unloved stray cat.
And one thing I would love to come back as is a much loved and wanted cat.

Pleased she's okay though.

smudgley
08-09-2005, 09:41 PM
Thanks Kazz. It's awful isn't it when you think about it, she doesn't ask for much. She has fed & cared for those babies like any good mother would - she protected them when she was caught by wrapping herself around them as she didn't want us to hurt them. She is loving, she purrs a lot, she is clean in her tray. All she wants is a bit of love, bless her. - But someone chose not to neuter her & someone chose to turn their back on her :cry:
We'll make her better & it's pilchards on the menu for Domino tomorrow. 8)

Fran
08-09-2005, 09:49 PM
Awww I'm so glad it isn't FIP Smudgley!!! good luck in feeding her up, lets hope she picks up soon :-)

Kazz
08-09-2005, 09:57 PM
Exactly she did not much required much other than an owner with a heart :(

Jac
09-09-2005, 02:25 AM
I'm so glad things are not so black as they seemed at first.
TLC goes a long way, good luck. I know she will get the best now. Please keep us posted with her progress.

Abbi
09-09-2005, 09:17 AM
Great news that its not FIP, hope she will be on the mend from now.

Jac
09-09-2005, 12:33 PM
What good news!!!! Glad things are ok

Moli
09-09-2005, 12:41 PM
Glad to hear things are okay....