Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
08-09-2005, 10:25 AM   #1

F.I.P - please read - need help

HI guys - just got back from the vets & they think Domino has got feline infectious peritonitis? Anyone have any experience of this? I have left her there & they are going to do some tests - but it will be euthanasia if she is positive. I am obviously worried for her - but also for all the other cats and kittens in my care.

Catsey Veteran

08-09-2005, 10:48 AM   #2

Re: F.I.P - please read - need help

so sorry to hear that Smudgley :O( thinking of you.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
08-09-2005, 10:49 AM   #3

Hi Smudgley, I am sorry to hear this A few years ago I had to have a cat put to sleep with FIP, he was a young rescue cat that I had adopted and they didn't realise that he was infected at the time of adoption but I hadn't had him long when he started showing symptoms. I had several other cats at the time and was obviously worried for them all but all were fine. None of them were extremely old or young cats though, I think the very young - under a year old and the elderly cats are most at risk. I do hope it turns out to be something other than FIP.....thinking of you

Catsey Veteran

08-09-2005, 11:29 AM   #4

thanks Abs & Pk.
That is reassuring to hear, I've read about it on the internet - but it's better hearing from people who have experienced it - Poor little girl - she's got 5 kittens too. I think it will be FIP - but who knows - will have to wait till vets call.

Catsey Veteran

08-09-2005, 11:31 AM   #5

when will you get the results Smudge?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
08-09-2005, 02:06 PM   #6

Hi Good question there when do you get the results back?

I have had no experience of it but a new neighbour rescued a cat and then it was discovered to have it the cat was PTS and the neighbour came round to tell me becuase the vet said the same as PK has said "young and elderly" are liable to be infected, andas my two were abbout 16 then she came to "warn me" which was very nice as they had just moved in themselves.

Is there a test for the kittens is she does prove positive and how
old as the kits now?

Take care Karen

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggie
08-09-2005, 05:17 PM   #7

Oh no, I'm so sorry Smudge

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
08-09-2005, 06:26 PM   #8

Have you heard anything Smudgley?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
08-09-2005, 06:30 PM   #9

I was just thinking that,Moli

Catsey Veteran

08-09-2005, 09:24 PM   #10

Thanks everyone for your concern.
Well it looks like she's ok & it's not FIP.
not sure what is wrong with her - but they think she is just in poor condition & loosing protein in her body - due to the kittens pulling her down. Although she only has 5 kittens - she was found with them when they were 3 weeks old & she had been scavenging - so probably had very poor nutrition during her pregnancy & when the kittens were tiny.
they were busy today & left her til last - due to contamination from bodily fluids if it were positive - so they had only just finished her when I went to collect her & Sooty. They are keeping her overnight.
She has been spayed today (they wanted to have a look inside her & I said she needed spaying anyway- so I left her & they were going to open her up & check for FIP & spay her if it wasn't that) I need to feed her up & monitor her. She is having high protein premium quality kitten food - so can't really give her any better food & she is allowed to eat what she wants so can't really give her any more than she will eat. Will have to just hope she gets her condition back.