PDA

View Full Version : Queens calling - another question for Sam

Fran
10-05-2005, 10:20 AM
How does the calling cycle work eg how often do they call and do they call all year round? Maud is the only cat that I haven't had speyed so I have no experience of this really She has only called a few times since she was a kitten. When can I expect her to come back into call after having Claude?

Ohh and I was wondering, how with so many cats, do you cope with all your queens calling? It's noisy in our house with just Maud calling :roll:

bobbie3917
10-05-2005, 11:19 AM
i maybe able to help here a little. cats are like dogs and every 1 of them are diffrent. some as they get older can call every 2 to 3 weeks :shock: and others every few months. i have a friend that has a 5 year old ragdoll that only calls twice a year but since i have had Sky she has called twice already :shock: (she missed when she went to the stud so will be going back this weekend her breeder says that she has already had to many calls that if she dont have a litter soon it would be better to have her speyed)

Fran
10-05-2005, 01:37 PM
How does too many calls necessitate speying, Bobbie, how many is too many? Are cats prone to pyometra like dogs are if they are not speyed?

bobbie3917
10-05-2005, 02:13 PM
yes PK i think its cos they are prone to Pyometra or something simila. each time they are in call they are open to all infections.
and the longer you leave it before mating the calls will get closer to gethere until you have a cat in call nearly 24/7

shonedek
10-05-2005, 03:23 PM
In all the years of having cats i have never had pyometra.Other problems but not that.
.I have one here who cant be spayed because her heart cant cope with operation and shes in call once every 6 weeks.Each cat is different.I have another who comes in call every 16 days.If a cat was coming on call so oftern 24/7 i would personally go to vets as her hormones could be out of sink.
I have cats here un spayed and have never had pyometra but thet can develope things as they get older.Cats are far less prone to problems then breeding dogs.

If a cat has gone to stud a few times and not taken it could be the 2 are not compatable or her hormones need to be looked at. if they definatly mate then its more likely to be Clamidia which is a simple jab but left to long will never produce kittens.

Fran
10-05-2005, 05:13 PM
So what is usual after having kittens Sam, will Maud come into call relatively soon or could she be a while?

shonedek
10-05-2005, 06:16 PM
varies PK .i have some that come in season while still feeding the kittens.,some dont come in season for months.It all depends on the cat.There is no hard and fast rule,were talking mother nature and shes a rule unto herself

Fran
10-05-2005, 10:25 PM
How do you mange to keep all your girls in Sam? and how do you cope with the noise when they are all calling?

shonedek
10-05-2005, 11:01 PM
because my persians dont ever go out side to roam they dont make a bolt for the door,but they know there way to the studs pen.You get used to them calling and most of mine come in call together so its all over pretty soon

Mags
10-05-2005, 11:06 PM
You must get through a lot of cotton wool for your ears Sam :-D

shonedek
10-05-2005, 11:23 PM
ye were trying to grow a cotton wool tree without much success

bobbie3917
11-05-2005, 01:19 AM
Sky can be a little so and so with the door. she is not in call right now but when she was we had to make 100% that she was behind a closed door before the frount door was opend. and with having 2 young girls that are in and out a lot that was hard work but the girls are starting to know that they can not come and go every 5 mins so in the long run it will be better for us :)

Mags
11-05-2005, 08:43 AM
Sounds like you have to be well alert there Nat!

bobbie3917
11-05-2005, 12:08 PM
just a little Mags :lol: