Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
10-05-2005, 10:20 AM   #1

Queens calling - another question for Sam

How does the calling cycle work eg how often do they call and do they call all year round? Maud is the only cat that I haven't had speyed so I have no experience of this really She has only called a few times since she was a kitten. When can I expect her to come back into call after having Claude?

Ohh and I was wondering, how with so many cats, do you cope with all your queens calling? It's noisy in our house with just Maud calling

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll & Moggy
10-05-2005, 11:19 AM   #2

Re: Queens calling - another question for Sam

i maybe able to help here a little. cats are like dogs and every 1 of them are diffrent. some as they get older can call every 2 to 3 weeks and others every few months. i have a friend that has a 5 year old ragdoll that only calls twice a year but since i have had Sky she has called twice already (she missed when she went to the stud so will be going back this weekend her breeder says that she has already had to many calls that if she dont have a litter soon it would be better to have her speyed)

Catsey Veteran

10-05-2005, 01:37 PM   #3

How does too many calls necessitate speying, Bobbie, how many is too many? Are cats prone to pyometra like dogs are if they are not speyed?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll & Moggy
10-05-2005, 02:13 PM   #4

yes PK i think its cos they are prone to Pyometra or something simila. each time they are in call they are open to all infections.
and the longer you leave it before mating the calls will get closer to gethere until you have a cat in call nearly 24/7

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Is owned by Persians
10-05-2005, 03:23 PM   #5

In all the years of having cats i have never had pyometra.Other problems but not that.
.I have one here who cant be spayed because her heart cant cope with operation and shes in call once every 6 weeks.Each cat is different.I have another who comes in call every 16 days.If a cat was coming on call so oftern 24/7 i would personally go to vets as her hormones could be out of sink.
I have cats here un spayed and have never had pyometra but thet can develope things as they get older.Cats are far less prone to problems then breeding dogs.

If a cat has gone to stud a few times and not taken it could be the 2 are not compatable or her hormones need to be looked at. if they definatly mate then its more likely to be Clamidia which is a simple jab but left to long will never produce kittens.

Catsey Veteran

10-05-2005, 05:13 PM   #6

So what is usual after having kittens Sam, will Maud come into call relatively soon or could she be a while?

Almost a Veteran Member

10-05-2005, 06:16 PM   #7

varies PK .i have some that come in season while still feeding the kittens.,some dont come in season for months.It all depends on the cat.There is no hard and fast rule,were talking mother nature and shes a rule unto herself

Catsey Veteran

10-05-2005, 10:25 PM   #8

How do you mange to keep all your girls in Sam? and how do you cope with the noise when they are all calling?

Almost a Veteran Member

10-05-2005, 11:01 PM   #9

because my persians dont ever go out side to roam they dont make a bolt for the door,but they know there way to the studs pen.You get used to them calling and most of mine come in call together so its all over pretty soon

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
10-05-2005, 11:06 PM   #10

You must get through a lot of cotton wool for your ears Sam