PDA

View Full Version : CRF - anyone?

Kazz
07-04-2005, 12:20 AM
CRF Chronic renal faliure

Please does anyone have any experience of it. Ever had a cat with it - or do you have a cat with it? Please let me know Thanks.

Fran
07-04-2005, 08:16 AM
Kazz, not sure if it was chronic renal failure, but I had to have one of my cats pts last year with reanl failure, he was only fourteen. His only symptom initially was severe weight loss, then he became very depressed and drank an excessive amount of water, vomited a lot and I mean a lot. His breath was very smelly. The vet tried various treatments over a couple of months. Some he would initailly respond to but after a couple of weeks he was as bad again. In the end the vet was still willing to try but I had seen he had suffered enough and I could not bear seeing him like he was so asked the vet to put him out of his misery. The whole family still miss him terribly. His passing has left a big void in our lives. I do know that some renal failures are somewhat treatable with diet and drugs, but I think it depends what type it is and what the cause is. Sorry if this is not what you were wanting to hear :(

Mags
07-04-2005, 09:06 AM
Sorry I can't help you with any information Kazz.

PK, that must have been a very worrying and sad experience with your cat. :(

Kazz
07-04-2005, 06:08 PM
HMMM Thanks for the information.

CRF was the diagnosis I got Christmas 2003 for Oscar. I popped onto a site an it seemed his cretain levels and other levels were the signs of severe CRF.

Now obviously I don't want Oscar to be bad - God forbid and am over the moon he is well.

But before that Christmas week he lost weight - drank excessive ammounts was sick but not lots - ate that much I was worried - he and Cleo and the dogs are wormed every 3 months - so knew it wasn't that.
And then he started moping about the house well this started the moping and sadness/depression on Xmas day of 2003 throught to the 27th when the vet was open. They took blood and other tests and said CRF - and gave us special food which Oscar refused point blank to eat - so food went back and I decided if he was that ill he could have what he wanted - :( as you do so we carried on as normal just made more water available. (ie every room including all the bedrooms the landing, thehall the porch everywhere)

Well he had tablets from the vet and their prognosis was he'd stabalize then go downhill rapidly but they could they said still treat him - which seems what happened tou your cat PK. For that I am sorry.

Well its been 16 months - Oscar is steady in his weight - regained some but now weighs about 8 - 8&1/2lb. He still eats loads - drinks lots - sometimes excessive ammounts but apart from being quieter which could be his age of course he seems well and most of all happy. Things tire him out more but he's still nosy.

I took him to the vets for his boosters same as Cleo and found out Oscar has according to them - got worse with his CRF - his stats show figures that my vet said he has lost cats befroe they get to that level but he looks good - eats - drinks no sickness diorehea - constipation nothing- just a normal elderly cat - who seems to feel the cold more thats all - but I think thats age.

The vet is baffled and said he has no idea why he's so well and if he hadn't seen the results and seen the cat himself he would say someone was tricking him but whatever I am doing carry on - thing is I have no idea what I am doing - he is the same as he's always been in and out of the cat flap. Up down the stairs- investigating the garden bossing the dogs following visitors around miaowing and pointing out hich is his chair etc etc. Chasin g bubbles and moths.

I just wondered if anyone had come across this before but seems not.

Thanks anyhow. Karen

Mags
07-04-2005, 06:30 PM
Well, it seems you must be doing something right Kazz! Oscar sounds like he has been through a lot and he's putting up a good fight.

I hope he continues to enjoy life for a long time.......and I hope you can find out more info about CRF. Good luck to you both!

Fran
07-04-2005, 07:45 PM
Sounds like Oscar's will to live outweighs the severity of the illness Kazz. I think you are doing everything you can for Oscar and it is obviously working!! I should enjoy the time you have with him and be grateful for this 'borrowed time' I wasn't so lucky with Gizmo :( He went downhill so quickly. Give Oscar a hug for me Kazz, what a special little man he is

Kazz
07-04-2005, 09:19 PM
Thanks everyone.
We have been through so much together the three of us me Oz and Cleo (his sistser) that we are united as the vet said the other day he's never had a cat stand not have to be restrained while having fur shaved and blood taken - all Oz does is put his head under my jumper/coat. He figures if he can't see them and can be by me all is fine - which it is I'd never let anything happen to them that wasn't good for them.
This is Oz in the dogs new bed last year http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/kazz76/MyOz.jpg

Mags
07-04-2005, 09:30 PM
Awwww Kazz, I can see you've got a wonderful relationship with your pets. Oz sounds so trusting and he looks a real cutie in that pic.

Kazz
07-04-2005, 09:37 PM
Thanks Mags and he better be trusting otherwise I'll kick his head in :shock: Either that or I may just make him eat the dark meat off the chicken instead of the breast - some hope. :roll:

Mags
07-04-2005, 09:47 PM
As if Kazz!!! :lol:

Kazz
07-04-2005, 09:57 PM
I know Mags I know. But I can but try he nor Cleo ea t the brown meat only ever breasts thats why we have to buy two chickens whenever we have chicken - so we and Oz and Cleo can have breast they like roast chicken.

Mags
07-04-2005, 10:02 PM
So who gets the dark meat Kazz :shock:

Kazz
07-04-2005, 10:16 PM
These two eat the dark meat - I mean why else would I keep Staffies the one in front is Tess (6 months) and the back is Sal(2&1/2) actually eating chicken in this picture :wink: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/kazz76/SalTessturkey.jpg

And these are the real owners of the bed (they think) http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/kazz76/Sisters.jpg

Fran
08-04-2005, 07:52 AM
Oooh what lovely Staffies Kazz. Their coats are so shiny!!

Mags
08-04-2005, 08:38 AM
What a beautiful pair of dogs Kazz!!

Kazz
08-04-2005, 06:47 PM
You'll notice they are different in colour to the cats - saves any mix up when I go to feed them. :roll:

Karen

Mags
08-04-2005, 07:48 PM
Very different I would say :-D

Kazz
08-04-2005, 08:07 PM
No not really, Staffords and cats go well together - they both love sitting next to you or ontop of you. All I have to remember is to sit in the middle of the sofa so everyone can get a bit of me. :roll:
Cats sleep for hours so do Staffs given half a chance. And I tell you a secret having older cats and a cat flap - my two don't have to defend their territory or worry about stray cats coming in the dogs do it for them. With theose two about Oscar and Cleo never mind visiting children can play outside and in the cats case sleep on the front with no worry of dog or cat attack. :wink:
So do your cats a favour get them a Staffie bodyguard.

Kazz
08-04-2005, 08:10 PM
Saying that the cats were capable of defending the dogs when they were pups - Oscar actually l;aunched himself at a Tom cat that had the "audacity" to hiss and raise his back at Sal as a pup.

Karen - so what goes around comes around.

Mags
08-04-2005, 08:28 PM
Sounds like you've got four compatible animals there Kazz!

It must be great to see them all get on so well together.

Fran
08-04-2005, 08:36 PM
I've got labrador bodyguards. No one or no thing can get anywhere near Claude, Maddie sees to that :lol:

Mags
08-04-2005, 08:41 PM
Hi PK, seems ages since our last chat!!

That is so sweet how he looks after Claude.

How long now before the pups go? :(

Kazz
08-04-2005, 08:42 PM
Mags they are compatible because they are all loved - and boy do they know it.

Mags
08-04-2005, 08:44 PM
:lol:

Fran
08-04-2005, 08:49 PM
A couple are going tomorrow Mags :( Some are going the middle of next week and I will be left with 2 for a couple of weeks extra as their new owners are on holiday. So at least they are not all going at once.

Mags
08-04-2005, 08:51 PM
Awww that'll be a sad day PK :(

I hope one of them going tomorrow isn't your daughter's favourite :(

Fran
08-04-2005, 08:55 PM
Afraid it is Mags. She was going to sleep out at a friends tonight until she knew hers was going tomorrow :?

Mags
08-04-2005, 08:57 PM
Poor angel.....she's going to feel sad tomorrow :cry:

Fran
08-04-2005, 09:04 PM
We are keeping one from the next litter so that will help her cope plus she is besotted with Claude so that will makes things a little easier too especially as he is now developing a little personality and is getting up on his feet.

Mags
08-04-2005, 09:07 PM
Awww.... he'll soon be getting up to mischief!

Fran
08-04-2005, 09:20 PM
No doubt, I am sure you will be flooded with stories soon :shock:

Mags
08-04-2005, 09:22 PM
Looking forward to them!! :lol:

bobbie3917
08-04-2005, 10:55 PM
i wil agree that stafford are great with cats. they go so well together
your lot look well together Kazz

Kazz
09-04-2005, 01:27 AM
Thanks they do have their moments - but basically they are all good.

Karen

Elaine
25-10-2005, 07:22 PM
Hi Kazz. I am new here. I have a 20 year old, Winston, he was diagnosed with CRF more than a year and a half ago.
Would be happy to share experiences etc if you would like.

Kazz
25-10-2005, 08:29 PM
Hello Elaine.

I would love to exchange stories and tips :-D Oscar is 23 now and was diagnosed week between Christmas and New Year 2003 - so will be 2 years this Christmas. He hated and refused to eat the "special diet" so we just carry on as normal.

Karen

Elaine
25-10-2005, 09:10 PM
Winston will occasionally eat the prescription food but not very often so I too feed him normally. Vets here are in disagreement with me over this but what am i supposed to do as its more important that he eats.
Have recently changed vets and am glad I have in some respects as my old vet kept telling me he also had an over active thyroid. New vet tested again and he has no such thing and it was never written in the notes that the old vet sent to the new vet. Winston is also on Prednisolone, because he had lost the use of his hind legs temporarily, old vet originally told me this was an anti inflamatory.
Find it all a bit distressing and frustrating at times, trying to understand it all, and all the conflicting advice etc.
Do you have any experience with sub-q fluids? Alot of people from the CRF support group reckon Winston would benefit from this but vets here just wont go for it.
Anyway Winston is looking pretty good, all things considered and is just such an adorable cat.

Kazz
25-10-2005, 11:46 PM
Hi Elaine

I like you think eating food is more important than eating the presciption food, my vet said "go with what you feel is right" and to be honest I have done and so far no major ill effects. Thank God - but I like you have managed, to get my boy through to a good age therefore I think I know him best as do you.

I joined a/the CRF support group and I must say to me they seemed eager/quick to tell me of the sub q fluids - but to be honest thats not me. I would rather not let Oscar or Cleo (who was diagnosed with CRF 8 months ago but I am sure you know its a thing a lot of elderly cats suffer with) go through the fluid thing I know (sorry if it sounds harsh) that I would let them go than prolong their life this way. But the support group was helpful when first diagnosed - they almost keep you afloat:-D .

But it's your choice - he is your cat and obviously you know whats best for you and he. You can only make descisions based on your feelings at the time. Its no good rebuking yourself or listening to others he's your cat as Oscar and Cleo are mine. I listen to the advice then make the best choice I can. Hard though isn't it.

Winston is a lovely name by the way not one I had considered for a cat but actually fits well - especially given Winston Churchills love of cats.

Anyhow my two eat anything and eveything I prefer they eat than try to make them eat the prescription food :roll: they have small but regualr meals of everything and anything have a look at this post I think page 4 to see what mine eat http://www.catpages.co.uk/talkcats/showthread.php?t=122 is it similar to yours?

And was the loss of his back legs down to the CRF ie; Anaemia, high phosphorous?

Oh by the way what was Winston's Creatinine and Urea results? Poor CRF person aren't I, its normally the first thing they ask:shock:

Take care Karen

Elaine
26-10-2005, 06:30 PM
My old vet never explained why Winston had lost the use of his back legs that day. Actually my old vet never really explained much at all and would get a bit stroppy with me for asking questions all the time.
Thanx for the link, I havent had a chance to look at it yet but I will.
Winstons Urea is 21 and Creatinine was 373.
The last blood test was much more in depth than any I ever got from my last vet and I am still trying to suss it all out. It seems the more I read the less it all sinks in to my thick skull. I get really confused and frustrated by it all.
like you, I have no wish to prolong Winstons life, I just want him to feel as good as I can help him to feel.
It is very hard trying to listen to the advice, take it all in and then try to decide whats best.
I do also give Winston the slippery elm bark syrup twice a day, which has really helped with the sickness. I also give him a B vitamin supplement and Iron supplement, in the form of Pet Tinic. I have also found this to have helped with his appetite and his general well being.
Winston mostly eats very well but there have been times when his appetite has wained.
His name was a toss up between Winston and Luther, I went for Winston as I felt it was more befitting :) He has a wanderfull nature and trusts me implicitly. He even mimics the way I lay on the sofa:D much to the amusement of my friends and my partner. He has such a huge fan base here, every one loves him.

Kazz
26-10-2005, 06:57 PM
Hi Elaine,

Your Winston sounds a lot like my Oscar - a lovely natured cat. I thinkthe thing with CRF as you say is the more I learn the less I know so I concentrate on my two as my "bookmark" rather than what the experts and websites say. I know what is good for them so use that as my benchmark. Sounds like you do too. I also used slippery elm for a while too it did help.

But on the very very positive side considering I felt like (as I expect you did) I had been handed a death sentence when the vet said Chronic Renal Failiure :? and it will be 2 years since he was diagnosed this Christmas and he's 23 and when I took him back earlier this year the vet said "whatever you're doing just carry on because he really looking at these stats shouldn't be here" but he is alive and well and now having steriods for his arthritis. And then Cleo was diagnosed so I have two cats with CRF but I have to tell you they are happy healthy (for 23) and enjoy life to the full so you have the benefit of knowing CRF cats do live to a ripe old age - and still catch daddylongs legs that are daft enough to cross their paths:-D

Karen

Elaine
26-10-2005, 08:59 PM
Thanx Kazz, that is very good to hear.
It will be 2 years come next March since Winston was diagnosed. My old vet always made me feel like the end was at hand for my old boy. He always spoke very negatively and appologetically, partly why I changed vets as it was always just so upsetting.
I am thinking that the attitude you have, one I am begining to take, might be the best way.
The CRF group are now telling me his pottassium levels are too low and his calcium is too high, more supplements etc.
I dont want to spend all my time with Winston shoving pills and supplements down his throat, so to speek.
Its just all getting too much. I know they all mean well and know what they are talking about but I want Winstons days to be happy ones and relaxed.

Give your two babes a big cuddle from their new aunty Elaine.

Kazz
26-10-2005, 09:07 PM
Hi Auntie Elaine:-D

This is Cleo taken just a few weeks ago.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/kazz76/Captured2005-7-900001.jpg

This is Oscar takena month ago following his first steriod" jab for Arthritis.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/kazz76/OscarSat11.jpg

And as they were as babies. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/kazz76/CleoOscaraskittens.jpg

The attitude is one I have come to decide is right for me I like you did not want to spend all my time putting tablets into him - sometimes I got the feeling purely my own opinion here that the "condition tok over from the cat" without meaning to sound harsh I think they become caught up with trying to mantain a good level instead of enoying the time they have and letting nature take its course.

Oscar and now Cleo spend every day happily and healthily (bearing in mind their age).:-D As you can see,:roll:

Karen

Fran
26-10-2005, 09:22 PM
Oscar and Cleo are certainly looking very well Kazz! you would not realise at all that they were both 23 years of age :shock: Well done you for looking after them so well....you are obviously doing something right ;)

Elaine
26-10-2005, 09:23 PM
http://photobucket.com/albums/a398/ElainePirie/?start=0
You can find pics of Winston and Eva here.

Your babes look beautifull. They really do look fantastic for their age.
Unfortunately Winston has out lived his long term partners.
Mutley, his brother, was blind from birth and sadly died at the age of 5. Then I rescued Woody from a life of abuse, he was sadly put to sleep a few months after Winston was diagnosed. Poor Woody had a tumor on his liver and developed Hepatic Lipidosis. He went down hill very fast and we just couldnt get him back up. Now Winston has the beautiful Eva but he doesnt have the energy for her, bless him.

Kazz
26-10-2005, 09:31 PM
Well I have to tell you Winston looks great to me a smashing colour too. :-D And I am grateful for the fact Oscar and Cleo hav each other they may not legally be brother and sister but they were found in the same black bin liner in a rubbish bin so I figure thats as close as they could get.:roll: They get on the majority of the time Oscar always deffering to Cleo she is a bosy little 'en.

Karen

Elaine
27-10-2005, 10:48 PM
Thanx again Karen. You have helped me make a few descisions as to where i go from here. Firstly I feel I have to mend some bridges and re-gain trust in vets and hopefully my new vet will help me with that. Am thinking about making an appointment with her and without Winston to discuss my feelings and any possible treatment plans for my old boy.
Think I am gonna stay away from the support group for a while anyway. Its not that they havent been helpfull coz they have been great. Its just that all the info etc is overwhelming and I am not medically minded enough to take it all in.
Am gonna take each day as it comes and spend my time cuddling and playing with my babies instead of trying to get through all the countless pages of info on crf.
As you said no one knows him better than me and I will always strive to do what is right by him.
Got to go now and give him his night time feed as I can hear him crying by the food bowl.
Thanx again and hope to talk to you very soon.

Kazz
27-10-2005, 11:27 PM
Elaine I "know and understand" the position you are in and the support group were great to me allowing me to realise there is life after the diagnosis :? which was hard to understand at first but there is so much "info" to take in I was knocked back by it all. But decided to "treat" Oscar as Oscar not as the cat with CRF who is Oscar - does that make sense.
He is 2 years down the line and fine as you can see from the picture; not saying he or now Cleo won't go downhill with it but facing cold hard facts (which is horrible after all these years together isn't it:cry: ) they can't live forever and what time we do have I intend to let them be themselves. So far "touch wood" it has worked it may not for everyone but I am settled in my heart and soul that I will have done my best for them - and they will have lived a life thats enjoyable and worth living.

And I think going and making an appointment with the vet without Winston is a brilliant idea. When I used to take Oscar I'd get emotional before anyone spoke,without him there it was easier to talk about him. Make a list of what you want to ask I did that and wrote down the answers too because I am a proper "thicko" I also said to the vet "I am not a vet so talk in English to me" and it worked.:roll:
I wrote the list out for about a week before I went - so I had everything I wanted to ask I wrote down questions on a daily/hourly basis, then worked though the list.
A couple of days before my appointment I took a couple of printouts too regarding sub q fluids etc and left them for the vet to look through. Before I got there that worked too, as a lot of vets don't have extensive knowldege on such things and wanted to give them a lot of time to understand and brush up :roll:

Anyhow let me know what you vet says. I will PM you my mobile number tomorrow (I can never remember it:roll: ) and my email address adn you can ring/email me anytime CRF is not easy but it does not have to be the end of our world.:-D

Karen

Karen

Elaine
28-10-2005, 12:07 PM
Everything you have said is just so true.
Winston was playfull last night but wasnt eating an awful lot and was sick early this morning.
He has eaten a little better today.
Some days, not often, he is like this but tends to pick up again quite quickly. I am also aware that this is part of the condition too but I dont like it when he feels a little sick, I sympathise with him coz I dont like feeling unwell myself.
Does your cats do this on occasion too?
When your cats feel a little iky, is there anything you do to try to help?
You have done very well with your two babes, they look wonderfull.
I look forward to recieving your pm later.
Thanx again.

Kazz
28-10-2005, 05:42 PM
Oscar goes through spates like that - but touch wood not had one for a while now. A good couple of months actually. He is slower but thats down to age as well as the illness - there was nothing I could do really I tried the slippery elm and made sure he had sufficent (loads actually) of fresh water around and hoped for the best luckily we have not had a crisis yet where either have refused to eat etc etc etc.

I always make sure they have somewhere to go to like the bedroom which you'll never believe this but its true. I brought another bedroom door a cheapish one and cut a hole in the corner so then can get into the bedroom :roll: with the door shut. :roll: Because I have two Staffies too the cat likes to just lie alone sometimes. Hence the bedroom door, at times Oscar and now Cleo like to be quiet. :-D

Other than that I do nothing different at all but make sure they eat small meals - very very often every couple of hours and when its freshly put
down they love it whatever it is. Therefore eating little and often.:roll:

But Winston sounds fine to me, asI say you and I can only dowhat we can and must remember out cats are not youngsters fighting this disease - and lots of cats dont make it as long as ours have.

Take care Karen

Elaine
31-10-2005, 05:45 PM
Just for the last couple of days I have stopped giving Winston the slippery elm bark. Reason being he ran and hid from me when he saw the syringe. Winston has always trusted me with anything and everything I do so it made me feel bad that he wanted to hide from me. Decided to give him a little break and regain trust.
Thing is, today he hasnt eaten as much as normal and is lip smacking alot. Thinking I should start the SEB again.
Wandered if you had any tips on how to make it a bit easier on him. I do give him hugs and treats after meds etc.

Kazz
05-12-2005, 06:14 PM
Sorry I have only just seen this I was not about for a while:oops:

And no advice other than what you said is right and if you think about it you'll realise, you said "Reason being he ran and hid from me when he saw the syringe" so he did not hide from you but the syringe.

Oscar ain't keen but tolerates it, he still loves and trusts me :roll: Lord knows why, maybe its because I poke him with a sharp stick if he doesn't.;)

Anyhow hope he's okay again now Oscar is loosing a little weight but not sure if thats the CRF or the steriods for his arthritis kicking in - cats eh who'd have em.:-D

Elaine
06-12-2005, 10:59 AM
Aww poor Oscar, I hope he picks up again soon.

Winston is currently recovering from a bad case of cystitis. Poor old fella is currently confined to the lounge today coz i need to get a urine sample. Bless his old cotton sox, he's not a happy kitty about being confined dispite all his favourite things being in there with him and the constant attention, playing and grooming.

We also have a new cat, Bernie, who is currently confined in another room. Intros will be slow as Eva hates the smell of him. Having to divide my time today in different rooms with different kitties. Oh well. Have to say though that Winston is not at all bothered about the new comer as long as he stays out of Winstons favourite bed:)

Havent been around for a while either as its been one thing after another here and then the computer crashed. Up and running again now though.

Kazz
21-06-2009, 10:11 PM
Hey Elaine remember when we first "met" think this was it for us.........and the reason why I "love ya"...odd I am travelling down memory lane.

Elaine
22-06-2009, 08:23 PM
That was a blast from the past, what made you think of viewing this again?
I felt very pleased to have found this forum and a uk member to go over these things with, up till this point no one else had heard of or had any experience of CRF on the other forums I used and the CRF group were all Americans mostly.

Kazz
22-06-2009, 08:55 PM
What "set me off" so to speak was a phone call on Friday from the receptionist Diane at the vets I go to there is a couple there with an elderly cat 21 who has been diagnosed with CRF and they are struggling they asked if they knew of anyone who had a cat with CRF and hence Diane gave me a call.....I offered and did speak to a lady when Cleo was poorly if you recall. I said yes give them my mobile.....and I spoke to them today ..hence revisiting the thread yesterday I was trying to recall how pleased I was I met you...........to get my head into that place...of cat with unknown diagnoses and my emotions this thread did that well. I mean now I speak with detachment and did not want to sound unconcerned......disinterested so I had to get my head back to then.

Ta Elaine.

Elaine
22-06-2009, 09:05 PM
How nice of you to chat with these people, I hope you were able to put them at a little more ease about the condition. It really does help to talk with some one who is either there or has been there.
You're a gem xxx and I was glad to have you to talk to at that time also, helped me alot so thanx to you too xxx

Kazz
22-06-2009, 09:41 PM
How nice of you to chat with these people, I hope you were able to put them at a little more ease about the condition. It really does help to talk with some one who is either there or has been there.
You're a gem xxx and I was glad to have you to talk to at that time also, helped me alot so thanx to you too xxx

See I paid her to say that;)

dandysmom
22-06-2009, 10:30 PM
I was glad to read this thread; it was before I joined. The support and knowledge here is really amazing, and comforting.