Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
07-04-2005, 12:20 AM   #1

CRF - anyone?

CRF Chronic renal faliure

Please does anyone have any experience of it. Ever had a cat with it - or do you have a cat with it? Please let me know Thanks.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
07-04-2005, 08:16 AM   #2

Re: CRF - anyone?

Kazz, not sure if it was chronic renal failure, but I had to have one of my cats pts last year with reanl failure, he was only fourteen. His only symptom initially was severe weight loss, then he became very depressed and drank an excessive amount of water, vomited a lot and I mean a lot. His breath was very smelly. The vet tried various treatments over a couple of months. Some he would initailly respond to but after a couple of weeks he was as bad again. In the end the vet was still willing to try but I had seen he had suffered enough and I could not bear seeing him like he was so asked the vet to put him out of his misery. The whole family still miss him terribly. His passing has left a big void in our lives. I do know that some renal failures are somewhat treatable with diet and drugs, but I think it depends what type it is and what the cause is. Sorry if this is not what you were wanting to hear

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
07-04-2005, 09:06 AM   #3

Sorry I can't help you with any information Kazz.

PK, that must have been a very worrying and sad experience with your cat.

Catsey Veteran

07-04-2005, 06:08 PM   #4

HMMM Thanks for the information.

CRF was the diagnosis I got Christmas 2003 for Oscar. I popped onto a site an it seemed his cretain levels and other levels were the signs of severe CRF.

Now obviously I don't want Oscar to be bad - God forbid and am over the moon he is well.

But before that Christmas week he lost weight - drank excessive ammounts was sick but not lots - ate that much I was worried - he and Cleo and the dogs are wormed every 3 months - so knew it wasn't that.
And then he started moping about the house well this started the moping and sadness/depression on Xmas day of 2003 throught to the 27th when the vet was open. They took blood and other tests and said CRF - and gave us special food which Oscar refused point blank to eat - so food went back and I decided if he was that ill he could have what he wanted - as you do so we carried on as normal just made more water available. (ie every room including all the bedrooms the landing, thehall the porch everywhere)

Well he had tablets from the vet and their prognosis was he'd stabalize then go downhill rapidly but they could they said still treat him - which seems what happened tou your cat PK. For that I am sorry.

Well its been 16 months - Oscar is steady in his weight - regained some but now weighs about 8 - 8&1/2lb. He still eats loads - drinks lots - sometimes excessive ammounts but apart from being quieter which could be his age of course he seems well and most of all happy. Things tire him out more but he's still nosy.

I took him to the vets for his boosters same as Cleo and found out Oscar has according to them - got worse with his CRF - his stats show figures that my vet said he has lost cats befroe they get to that level but he looks good - eats - drinks no sickness diorehea - constipation nothing- just a normal elderly cat - who seems to feel the cold more thats all - but I think thats age.

The vet is baffled and said he has no idea why he's so well and if he hadn't seen the results and seen the cat himself he would say someone was tricking him but whatever I am doing carry on - thing is I have no idea what I am doing - he is the same as he's always been in and out of the cat flap. Up down the stairs- investigating the garden bossing the dogs following visitors around miaowing and pointing out hich is his chair etc etc. Chasin g bubbles and moths.

I just wondered if anyone had come across this before but seems not.

Thanks anyhow. Karen

Global Moderator

07-04-2005, 06:30 PM   #5

Well, it seems you must be doing something right Kazz! Oscar sounds like he has been through a lot and he's putting up a good fight.

I hope he continues to enjoy life for a long time.......and I hope you can find out more info about CRF. Good luck to you both!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
07-04-2005, 07:45 PM   #6

Sounds like Oscar's will to live outweighs the severity of the illness Kazz. I think you are doing everything you can for Oscar and it is obviously working!! I should enjoy the time you have with him and be grateful for this 'borrowed time' I wasn't so lucky with Gizmo He went downhill so quickly. Give Oscar a hug for me Kazz, what a special little man he is

Catsey Veteran

07-04-2005, 09:19 PM   #7

Thanks everyone.
We have been through so much together the three of us me Oz and Cleo (his sistser) that we are united as the vet said the other day he's never had a cat stand not have to be restrained while having fur shaved and blood taken - all Oz does is put his head under my jumper/coat. He figures if he can't see them and can be by me all is fine - which it is I'd never let anything happen to them that wasn't good for them.
This is Oz in the dogs new bed last year

Global Moderator

07-04-2005, 09:30 PM   #8

Awwww Kazz, I can see you've got a wonderful relationship with your pets. Oz sounds so trusting and he looks a real cutie in that pic.

Catsey Veteran

07-04-2005, 09:37 PM   #9

Thanks Mags and he better be trusting otherwise I'll kick his head in Either that or I may just make him eat the dark meat off the chicken instead of the breast - some hope.

Global Moderator

07-04-2005, 09:47 PM   #10

As if Kazz!!!