PDA

View Full Version : Number 13, lucky for some

farthing
25-09-2010, 05:47 PM
I think we are having another cat in. He is a feral cat who was taken into the vet my friend works at. All the rescues are full and don't want to take in a cat that will be hard to rehome. He was handed in to the vet after being found with neck injuries, like deep bite wounds, and a suspected fractured pelvis. He was going to be PTS, so my friend asked if we would take him- and we said yes.:shock:
She is keeping him until we can get Donald integrated with the others. We don't know if he has been neutered or Felv?FIV tested, he is very thin ans she thinks a young cat. We will keep him in the spare room once Donald is out and try to tame him down, we've done it before with Pumpkin and Mustard so I don't see why we can't do it again. Even if he wants to be a yard cat, once he has all the health treatment he needs, our yard is safe and away from roads for him.

MrsH
25-09-2010, 06:29 PM
Another poor little kitty finding a safe haven with you, bless you for all that you do.

Shelley123
25-09-2010, 07:04 PM
MrsH you took the words out of my mouth, as i was reading the post Safe Haven came straight into my mind.

angieh
25-09-2010, 08:16 PM
Bless you farthing. Hopefully he will find a safe haven with you and will settle down and be grateful!

dandysmom
25-09-2010, 08:22 PM
Bless you for what you do for those poor waifs ....

Tezz
25-09-2010, 09:32 PM
Poor little mite......but thank goodness he's found you Farthing.....what a lovely lady you are......

With Pumpkin and Mustard, do you find they always have a feral trait in them, even when they've settled in.....or is it just a case of an unhappy beginning, but they become domesticated if given the chance?

farthing
25-09-2010, 10:22 PM
Pumpking and Mustard were always nervous and not happy bing lifted but were cuddly in their own way. We lost Mustard earlier this year, but he adaptd to being tableted and being cared for very well. Pumpking comes onto the bed for a cuddle, and drools all over us, but if you go to him he hisses, but if you ignore him and start petting him he starts to purr and relax. He is very good at the vets, as was Mustard.

Tezz
25-09-2010, 10:51 PM
Our last cat Willow was almost feral (we rescued her from a filth bucket of a house....well, outhouse) when she was about 4 weeks old (still had blue eyes).

She was a lovely cat, but like your Mustard, never liked being picked up or cuddled.....and wouldn't have any other animal in the house......so in her case, always had the feral in her.......

I'm so sorry to hear about Mustard, we lost Willow (10) unexpectedly last year.....what a shock it is...........

farthing
26-09-2010, 08:06 PM
I've been thinking about a name for him. I have a tidy kind of mind, although nothing physically is tidy around me thanks to Mike :roll:, but I like to have at least one animal name for every letter of the alphabet. I have all except a U since losing Una, and I'm thinking about Unwin for this boy, it means unfriendly which he most certainly is. What do you think?

angieh
26-09-2010, 08:07 PM
I didn't know Unwin meant unfriendly ..... makes me think of the publishers by that name. A nice name.

Mags
26-09-2010, 08:13 PM
Ugo ........ meaning 'thinker' ?

Shelley123
26-09-2010, 08:19 PM
Have to say i'm not keen on unwin because of the meaning.
How about Umberto or is that too long ?

angieh
26-09-2010, 08:27 PM
Uther
You are fairminded, wise and peaceloving and are always willing to help others. Your mental capabilities and creativity are well marked with wonderful and original ideas which you need to bring to tangible fruition. Perceptive and understanding of others your positive approach to life and influential nature means that you have leadership qualities. There is great potential for success both financially and spiritually.

calismum
26-09-2010, 08:29 PM
Uther
You are fairminded, wise and peaceloving and are always willing to help others. Your mental capabilities and creativity are well marked with wonderful and original ideas which you need to bring to tangible fruition. Perceptive and understanding of others your positive approach to life and influential nature means that you have leadership qualities. There is great potential for success both financially and spiritually.

I like that - and unusual too.

farthing
26-09-2010, 08:45 PM
Now I am liking the name Uther, and I prfer to give nice names in the hope it will suit them eventually. I guess I have to see what Mike likes too, I have been trying for ages to get him to call and animal UGLI, but he's just not having it.:roll:

dandysmom
26-09-2010, 10:22 PM
Uther Pendragon was King Arthur's father ,,, a propitious name! I like it.

farthing
01-10-2010, 04:05 PM
The kitten is coming on Sunday- he hasn't been FIV/Felv tested and my friend thinks he has only one decended testicle, which must means he is quite young or has a retained one ( this would be typical for us!). Once I get him settled we'll book him in to be sedated, blood sampled and checked over.
I've run the names Uther and Unwin past Mike and he doesn't like either. Unwin is a seed company and Uther isn't even a real word( according to him), he won't let me call it Ugli either.
Any other ideas for name beginning with U, that would suit an angry, black young cat!

Shelley123
01-10-2010, 04:20 PM
uber, should have two dots over the u but don't know how to do it. Think it means something like higher, the word has been used in connection with superman and in that context means irresistable or invincable.

dandysmom
01-10-2010, 04:20 PM
Here's a link - all awful names IMO, except possibly Umberto......

Mike hasn't read Le Morte d'Arthur,obviously ! :mrgreen:

http://www.weddingvendors.com/baby-names/letter/u/boy/

dandysmom
01-10-2010, 04:23 PM
uber, should have two dots over the u but don't know how to do it. Think it means something like higher, the word has been used in connection with superman and in that context means irresistable or invincable.

UBER - above, as is Deutchland uber alles ......

My keyboard doesn't have umlauts, pound sign or tildes either ..... :(

angieh
01-10-2010, 04:34 PM
UBER - above, as is Deutchland uber alles ......

My keyboard doesn't have umlauts, pound sign or tildes either ..... :(

Neither does any standard keyboard Eileen. You have to go into symbols and pick what you need. Can't do that on Catsey though as far as I know.

Übergoober! (copied from a Word document).

farthing
01-10-2010, 04:44 PM
I don't think he'll go for Uber, but have just thought about Urchin- fits him prefectly and I 'think' Mike will go for it. What do you think?

dandysmom
01-10-2010, 04:55 PM
Not bad, I like it!! :D

Pinkhebe
01-10-2010, 05:26 PM
Urchin is a lovely name, what a lovely home you must have :)

Midnight
01-10-2010, 08:06 PM
I like it, go for it xx

Mags
01-10-2010, 09:23 PM
Uri is short and easy to say...... :)

angieh
01-10-2010, 10:10 PM
Urchin is a wonderful name!

farthing
03-10-2010, 02:29 PM
Meet Urchin, he is very small and very scared.

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk67/halfpenny_bucket/cats/002-1.jpg

Abby
03-10-2010, 02:44 PM
Oh he is beautiful! Looks a lot like my George but George has got very green eyes.
Has Urchin got brown eyes?
I hope he is a wonderful addition to your family. Youre doing a wonderful thing taking him in you really are!!

dandysmom
03-10-2010, 03:39 PM
Oh poor little boy, he does look scared! :( You'll have him settled and playful in no time, I'm sure!

Shelley123
03-10-2010, 04:42 PM
Yes he definately suits his name. He's gorgeous, hope he settles well.

calismum
03-10-2010, 05:12 PM
Hope he settles - and I love the name!

farthing
07-10-2010, 02:44 PM
I've booked Urchin in next Thursday to be sedated, blood tested for FIV/Felv, get his wound checked and if fit enough get him castrated. One of the vets who dealt with him is married to one of the vets at our place- he is doing ops on Thursday and I figured he would be able to get first hand info on him. I have discovered that the original vets suspect there are some neurological problems, I'm guessing due to the bites. I haven't seem him move much to agree with this or not. He is always on his bed when I go in, although eating fine and toileting in the tray. He is getting less scared, I know this because he is crouching less and hissing louder.:)

dandysmom
07-10-2010, 04:14 PM
Bless him, "hissing louder"! He'll be purring before you know it! :D