PDA

View Full Version : What do you talk to your cats about?

angieh
14-01-2010, 02:41 PM
Really as an addition to HappyKatz thread about how your cats react ............

What do you speak to your cats about? Do you generally speak to them about everyday things, current affairs or the weather or more philosophical things, like evolution?

Most days I tell Kizzy and Pip how lovely they are or that sort of thing but recently I have been talking to them about what they might do if they had lordship over us humans ......... cats' staff put the idea in my head. I hope I'm not putting airs of grandeur into theirs. Pip has definitely forgotten he was ever a god and is quite happy to play the fool!

HappyKatz
14-01-2010, 03:08 PM
Great thread Angie! :-D I enjoy talking to our cats :cat27

I talk to our cats about many things. I tell them how beautiful they are and how happy they make us. And that we are very lucky to have them as a part of our furry family :smt049
I tell them about other kitties around the world, mostly about the lovely cats on Catsey.

I talk to them about the birds outside while they kitty chirp at them. About the type of toys or treats they may want next. That we can't wait to let them outside again in Spring.
I tell them about how there is a big world outside but that they are better & safe inside.

Mostly I just talk to them about cat related subjects :cat10

Phoenix
14-01-2010, 03:29 PM
Mostly I tell Dylan how handsome and gorgeous he is :D I talk to him about what his plans are for the day (seeing Poppet mostly :lol: ) and tell him what my plans are.

dandysmom
14-01-2010, 05:26 PM
I tell Leia what a beautiful good cat she is, that she has lovely whiskers and a spotty tummy that needs rubbing, what she'll have for dinner, also tell her where I'm going when I go out, when I'll be back and what I got! We rarely discuss philosophy or politics ... I am certain she is not a Republican, though!! :mrgreen:

Good thread!

angieh
14-01-2010, 06:06 PM
Do you still read the stockmarket news to Leia, Eileen?

dandysmom
14-01-2010, 09:10 PM
Oh yes I completely forgot about that, Angie, fancy you remembering! I also read her the weather report and the obituaries! How silly can I get! :mrgreen:

cats' staff
14-01-2010, 10:23 PM
I ask my lot questions- worryingly they often seem to answer!

James
15-01-2010, 12:24 AM
I grew up in a home in which everyone spoke to the feline residents as frequently as they spoke to each other :) I have continued to do this as I cannot imagine living in a house with such an intelligent creature and not talk to them! The most delightful part is when they answer you as they have an extensive vocabulary (including body language) :)

dandysmom
15-01-2010, 03:31 AM
I think they talk to us because they have realized that we are generally not too good at reading their subtle body language. They rarely vocalize to one another except in mating displays or disputes.

angieh
15-01-2010, 10:39 AM
I ask my lot questions- worryingly they often seem to answer!

Examples please cats' staff! A whole new realm is opening up before my mind's eye ........... Ask The Cat; What The Cats Say; QI For Cats - and of course CBBC could stand for something entirely different.

Stephan
15-01-2010, 12:28 PM
Claw control. It`s been established for years that she is the prettiest girl in the world even if her brain is a not one to discuss world politics.

But she still cannot get the hang of sitting on my legs without smiling and flexing rather sharp claws into my knees

cats' staff
15-01-2010, 07:40 PM
Examples please cats' staff! A whole new realm is opening up before my mind's eye ........... Ask The Cat; What The Cats Say; QI For Cats - and of course CBBC could stand for something entirely different.

Sadly the answer to 'what numbers will win the lottery this weekend' hasn't yet been correct....

The answer to 'what shall we have for tea' is usually 'fish'

The answer to life the universe and everything is '42 you daft human'

angieh
15-01-2010, 08:30 PM
Well, at least they've read Douglas Adams or did you read it to them? :-D :-D :-D

cats' staff
15-01-2010, 08:53 PM
Well, at least they've read Douglas Adams or did you read it to them? :-D :-D :-D

er, I MAY have read them some extracts......

dandysmom
15-01-2010, 09:28 PM
LOL, Cats' staff! Steph, love that expression "smiling and flexing"!! Perfect description ....

Tink
15-01-2010, 11:51 PM
Oh I talk to them about all kinds of things, really. How pretty they are, how undignified the dogs are in comparision :lol:, ask if they love us...tell them when i'm going somewhere and how long it should take..my plans for finances, vent about OH..you know, the usual :lol:

Donna
16-01-2010, 12:02 PM
Me and my cats have rows about when it is dinner time! They say "now" I say "later" lol....

Misty always grumbles a thankyou if I open the back door for her as she runs through...

cats' staff
16-01-2010, 01:45 PM
I've just realised how much I do chat to them after getting an odd look from my neighour. Tolly is outside under a tree glaring at the rain. I've just been out to the bin and in passing said 'Ptolemy you daft cat there's a warm sofa inside' and looked up to see my neigbbour watching and listening...... Tolly ignored me too!

angieh
16-01-2010, 02:29 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

That's the sort of thing that I would say - I am sure that we don't actually realise how much we say to them during the day. I often catch myself saying "Now don't go in that cupboard" or "There really isn't a mouse in there, promise" and if I have time "OK, shall we look to make sure?"

Lovely, isn't it Shows how relaxed we are together and how much they are a part of our everyday lives!

dandysmom
16-01-2010, 05:06 PM
I tell Leia what everything is when I'm unbagging the groceries: "No, that's spinach, you wouldn't like it", or "You know you don't eat cheese".... daft or what?! :mrgreen:

Tink
17-01-2010, 01:02 AM
oh i do that too Eileen. but i also sing many songs to her where i change the words to include her name!:oops:

dandysmom
17-01-2010, 03:04 AM
Oh we cat people are so much alike! I sing Clapton's Layla and the Kinks Lola to her with her name ... and I'm not a good singer...:roll:

Tink
17-01-2010, 04:11 AM
oh i am not a good singer by any means either, lol. just last night i was singing to kuan yin "my mau mau takes the kitten train..."

angieh
17-01-2010, 12:18 PM
hmmmmmmmmm - I used to sing to my chooks too!

Kay
17-01-2010, 11:50 PM
Absolutely everything.........no-one else in this house listens to me :roll::roll::roll:

dandysmom
17-01-2010, 11:54 PM
:smt005 :smt005 :smt005

Tink
18-01-2010, 06:52 AM
Absolutely everything.........no-one else in this house listens to me :roll::roll::roll:

hmm know that feeling, why do you think i have so many animals :lol:

angieh
18-01-2010, 12:10 PM

It's certainly true that my two listen to all the rubbish I spout - and I don't have to worry about them standing in judgement!

Kay
18-01-2010, 10:14 PM
hmm know that feeling, why do you think i have so many animals :lol:

Same here 14 (soon to be 15) cats, 3 dogs and a rabbit versus 1 x boyfriend and 2 x sons!!! Animals win everytime :lol::lol:

Tink
18-01-2010, 11:05 PM
Same here 14 (soon to be 15) cats, 3 dogs and a rabbit versus 1 x boyfriend and 2 x sons!!! Animals win everytime :lol::lol:

3 dogs, 2 cats, 4 ferrets, 2 mice, an iguana, and a turtle and 1 boyfriend. The last one I tend to lose to the evil television or computer games :roll:

Kay
18-01-2010, 11:33 PM
3 dogs, 2 cats, 4 ferrets, 2 mice, an iguana, and a turtle and 1 boyfriend. The last one I tend to lose to the evil television or computer games :roll:

Boys and their toys springs to mind ;)

Leesy
19-01-2010, 12:15 AM
:lol: :lol: I talk to M&M about anything and everything, my OH is often in stitches when I am sat explaining things to them as if they are children, he just looks at me as if I have gone mad saying "look love they don`t understand you" to which I reply "Ohhhhh yes they do".

dandysmom
19-01-2010, 12:37 AM
One of the joys of living alone: no one looks at you oddly when you talk to the cats!

Leesy
19-01-2010, 12:40 AM
What he doen`t know is that I have secretly caught him in the act of talking to them at times;) .

dandysmom
19-01-2010, 12:47 AM
LOL, reminds me of my Dad who was "not a cat person" but could occasionally be seen talking to the cat .........same cat who often slept with him at night.....

Leesy
19-01-2010, 12:58 AM
:lol: :lol: MEN they are funny are funny aren`t they:D

Shelley123
21-01-2010, 12:04 AM
well i have to stand corrected, after saying that my two are men of few words i have just had a very nice conversation with Jerry. He's lying beside me on the settee and suddenly gave a croaky meow, immitated him and he answered. This continued for a few minutes. Trouble is not sure what we talked about :D

angieh
21-01-2010, 12:11 AM
You might have just volunteered to go and catch him a mouse Shelley!

pookyandjo
04-03-2010, 10:21 AM
Great thread Angie...
im another one who talks to my two about anything and everything...of course now we have Harry... she's a real chatterbox... so we have wonderful conversations.. i also practice my language skills on Harry ...occasionally my husband will say triumphantly ...
"i know what you just said"... to which i usually reply...
" I wasn't talking to you... i was talking to Harry"
to which he usually says something sarcastic like..."oh... Harry speaks french/portuguese/russian now does she?"
to which is always reply... she's learning!!"

angieh
04-03-2010, 12:03 PM
Coooool! Multi-lingual cat! That reminds me of a camping trip to France many years ago. There was a dog that kept coming around scrounging. My friend's father said that we'd have to tell it to go away in French, it wouldn't understand English "Allez-vous en!" (We still spoke politely to it!)

Stephan
04-03-2010, 02:34 PM
I seem to say the same thing over and over to Cleo

Hello my favourite girl,but claws are not for daddy`s tummy-you never learn do you??

She just smiles and says

no pleasing some humans-if I gothe other way you complain about me loving you by kneading your knees;)

maxiesmum
04-03-2010, 03:34 PM
I tell Leia what everything is when I'm unbagging the groceries: "No, that's spinach, you wouldn't like it", or "You know you don't eat cheese".... daft or what?! :mrgreen:

not daft at all.... I do it too.... as he's weavin in and out of my legs while im tryin to unpack the shopping "yes, that is chicken... but its not for you" "purrr"... "no really its not"... "meaow/purr?"... "no max, silly cat, thats for my dinner"... "meaooowww chirp chirp purr"... oh ok you can have some! "purr purr purr"...

i also tell him everyday how lovely he is and if he is plannin to come out with us while i take the dog out... usually followed with some chirrups and a long meaow from max... "oh, so thats a yes then is it?" " purr purr chirrup" "ok then"

Aquatic
04-03-2010, 06:28 PM
I say to Felix "How's my little prince then? would you like some food? no ok I'll give it to you later, Oh you are so sweet" and my dog just looks at me as if I'm mad it is rather funny :lol:

cats' staff
04-03-2010, 07:42 PM
Every morning before he goes out I say to Tolly 'You know the rules, stay safe, don't go near cars and leave the birds alone'- he looks at me and gives me the cat version of 'wa'eevah'

Smudge gets the same warning but she tends to chirrup in response.

Cleo no longer chooses to go out and the first thing I say to her is 'room service' as I take her breakast up to the bathroom (she won't eat in the kitchen with Tolly). Cleo merely says 'meep, purr yum'

It's quite a morning ritual in the Cats' Staff household.

dandysmom
04-03-2010, 09:11 PM
When I'm leaving to shop in the morning I always say the same thing: "Mom's going out for a little while but God willing I'll be back at the usual time; be a good cat, I love you, bye now" She never answers but I'm sure she knows what I mean .......

jacks
04-03-2010, 09:33 PM
I always talk to Minnie.I tell her how beautiful she is and that we love her very much.(her mum and dad)
I even find myself apologising to her if im late with her dinner or anything.
When we come home from work shes usually sitting in the window waiting.I get out the car and stand there and wave to her.I can see her meowing back.:lol:
Neighbours think im strange:D :D :D

angieh
04-03-2010, 11:14 PM
I've always felt it's a great honour to be welcomed home by my cats. When my OH used to work away, I would come home and my two, Merlin and Smudge in those days would run to greet me. You are never alone with cats in the house.

maxiesmum
04-03-2010, 11:19 PM
if ive been out for a few hours, mine greets me with lots of meaows and chirrups and headbuts! its very sweet, ill be standin in my front garden havin a chirrup and meaow convo with my cat... im sure my neighbours think im mental :)

lhobbs
05-03-2010, 01:27 PM
I talk to Sadie about everything. Mostly work, weather and how much I love her! :-D

calismum
05-03-2010, 09:03 PM
I have so enjoyed reading through this thread. Makes me realise just how much I miss my discussions with my feline friends.

I always remember coming home from work and asking how their day has been and what they got up to. Asking if they've had any visitors and as I walked into the kitchen with them discussing what they would like for tea. Of course they answered with various head rubs chirrups and miaows - I talk to the dogs, chooks and sheep too but the conversation is never as interesting.

dandysmom
05-03-2010, 09:12 PM
I have so enjoyed reading through this thread. Makes me realise just how much I miss my discussions with my feline friends.

I always remember coming home from work and asking how their day has been and what they got up to. Asking if they've had any visitors and as I walked into the kitchen with them discussing what they would like for tea. Of course they answered with various head rubs chirrups and miaows - I talk to the dogs, chooks and sheep too but the conversation is never as interesting.

Well put! We're all slightly daft ,,,, and isn't it fun? :D

James
06-03-2010, 10:41 PM
We would to talk with Dunkley all the time. She responded to both English and Maori words :shock: especially if we emphasised the each syllable (e.g. "of course' would be pronounced "of coor..ssss" .

Our new girl, Boodle, is very vocal and talks non stop, with a wide array of sounds. We respond of course, like the well-trained humans we are :lol:

angieh
06-03-2010, 11:02 PM

I know this is a cat forum and we are meant to talk about our cats, but I do sort of have a little gulp when I realise that other members may not actually have a little feline friend with them currently. Of course, remembering past friends is a very good thing and has helped me enormously. But I do feel for you CM.

calismum
07-03-2010, 09:08 AM
I know this is a cat forum and we are meant to talk about our cats, but I do sort of have a little gulp when I realise that other members may not actually have a little feline friend with them currently. Of course, remembering past friends is a very good thing and has helped me enormously. But I do feel for you CM.

It is the first time since I was 17 that I've been catless. I am ready to fill that little cat shaped hole in my heart but was talking to OH yesterday and he said he is not ready yet - so I need to wait until it is right for both of us.

Meanwhile I enjoy hearing all about the Catsey felines.

pookyandjo
07-03-2010, 12:13 PM
I still have conversations with Tinky Winky...I often talk to his picture and the little box where his ashes are...
this proves one of two things...
A. your furry friend doesn't have to physically be here to have a conversation with him/her

OR

B. I'm nuts...:shock:

angieh
07-03-2010, 01:52 PM
I still have conversations with Tinky Winky...I often talk to his picture and the little box where his ashes are...
this proves one of two things...
A. your furry friend doesn't have to physically be here to have a conversation with him/her

OR

B. I'm nuts...:shock:

Anything like a child's "invisible friend" do you think? Comfort and security

Or

:-D :-D :-D Join the club ...... sorry, you already have!