PDA

View Full Version : need some support..

Tink
05-11-2008, 08:57 AM
this is about baby bear but for a moment i'm going to say i am in tears because i have an anxiety disorder and about having a panic attack after what i just read researching something.
he has been displaying "head bobbing" behavior (like a chicken) for a week now...i am concerned so it looked it up and there's only two causes known : insulinoma (pancreatic tumor) or brain tumor.
i left a message at my vet, it's almost midnight here, told her to call me after noon tomorrow. but right now i'm just sitting here and freaking myself out.
brain tumors are "rare" but so is anaphylactic shock that can be fatal and he had that so maybe he has bad genetics after all that bad breeding with ferrets they do here in the U.S. it's very possible.
i know i shouldn't jump to conclusions and start worrying what i'll do, etc. but my anxiety won't let me get a grip and i don't have a med at the moment that is delegated for a panic attack, just ones to prevent it.
please god let it just be a fluke.
i'll prob feel stupid later reading how dramatic i sound but you guys are my friends, i'm sorry i am always worried about something:(
anyway, please cross your fingers for baby bear? thanx guys. *hugs*

alexgirl73
05-11-2008, 09:04 AM
aww Tink. I've got my fingers crossed that it turns out to be nothing ((hugs))

Tink
05-11-2008, 10:28 AM
someone on the ferret forum suggested an ear infection..i'm also wondering if he could suddenly start a new waardenburgs syndrome trait? but i haven't seen that in my research ...hmmm.
i hope it is nothing or just an ear infection.
will keep posted. need to find funds for a vet visit i'm sure she will suggest and i would feel better about. working it out now..

yola
05-11-2008, 10:33 AM
It's so very difficult with symptoms that may be something serious but may equally be something quite straightforward. I really think you need to hold off worrying until you categorically know you have something to worry about . . . after all, as the saying goes, a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing.

I don't want to sound patronizing but at the same time the best thing you can do for Baby Bear is stay calm and objective so you can clearly tell the vet what you have observed and not overlay it with things you've read about. Having said that, hugs to you both . . . I hope you can find the funds to get your little chap checked out and I also hope that it turns out to be nothing serious.

dinahsmum
05-11-2008, 10:37 AM
Sometimes the internet is not a good thing - especially if you have hypochondriac tendencies, for yourself or those you love. I hope your chap is fine and that any possible symptoms he has been showing are just coincidence.

Tink
05-11-2008, 10:38 AM
after all, as the saying goes, a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing.

SO TRUE. sometimes i think i should just stop researching and start enjoying...i always wonder if it should be better safe than sorry (to the extreme in my case) or ignorance is bliss..i naturally go for the first and envy the latter. i worry myself to death

angieh
05-11-2008, 11:34 AM
I am hoping that Baby Bear is OK Tink. Not easy to cope with the anxiety but doing something about it is the right way forward. ((((HUGS))))

Tink
05-11-2008, 12:20 PM
Sometimes the internet is not a good thing - especially if you have hypochondriac tendencies, for yourself or those you love. I hope your chap is fine and that any possible symptoms he has been showing are just coincidence.

i wouldn't say i'm a hypochondriac (ferrets get ill very often and very quickly) but i will say i'm paranoid and anxious for any of them to die as they have such short life spans and they are my little babies.
i struggle w/letting go of researching b/c alot of it has helped me prevent very fatal things and known how to treat illnesses/ailments. i just have an anxiety problem (same goes for driving or being out of the house).
but truly if you've had ferrets before you'd know you never can be too careful..it really is true..they have a knack for finding trouble and illness..:roll: ;)
thank you though.

Moli
05-11-2008, 12:32 PM
Healing vibes for the wee man, and hugs for you..x

Tink
05-11-2008, 12:34 PM
thank you i'm not sure if he needs to heal but he appreciates the vibes either way. it is just so disturbing to see him walk a bit off balance with his head bobbing like a chicken!:shock: :oops:

Mags
05-11-2008, 12:44 PM
I do hope things aren't as bad with Baby Bear as you are imagining, Tink .......... try to stay positive, it may be just an infection. By thinking the worst you are only getting yourself into a state and that doesn't help you or Baby Bear.

Let us know what the vet says .......... meanwhile big hugs to you, Tink and healing vibes to Baby Bear...x

calismum
05-11-2008, 08:04 PM
Tink - sending you both healing vibes an lots of hugs. I do hope it is something as simple as an ear infecton, or some other straightforward ailment for which there will be an easy solution.

I know it is very hard for you to be less anxious about things. Easy for us to say don't worry/don't panic but you don't really have control over that.

Hope you are both a bit better by now

CM x

Natalie
05-11-2008, 08:05 PM
Sending you lots of hugs and get well vibes xxx

Tink
05-11-2008, 09:17 PM
so the vet just called me and said two or three times a day (what i told her) w/no other symptoms is not enough to be concerned, keep a diary and jot down when he does it and what's happening and if it increases to bring him in. (she knows i'm low income and won't recommend a checkup unless she thinks it's needed). so i'm a bit relieved as she is really knowledgable woman when it comes to ferrets..we've had lengthy discussions in her office on medical theories and stuff.
thanx for caring, that's where we are right now!
someone on a forum told me those were the very early signs of insulinoma for her kids and the vet overlooked it so now i'm wondering if since i can't technically afford it i should wait till the first when i get paid and just setup a blood glucose check...though i do trust my vet...hmmmm...still undecided..someone's experience with many insulinoma kids or my knowledgable vet..it wouldn't hurt to do it but it would hurt my checkbook...guess i'll just watch and see.
*edit* okay just got another reply ( personal email )from an online ferret guru who said it's also an overlooked first sign of insulinoma and if i catch the nodules this early he can lead a normal life...argh, now what? my mind is spinning with info and contradictions.

calismum
05-11-2008, 10:35 PM
sorry tink - find it hard to advise you as I know absolutely nothing about ferrets.

It is really hard trying to juggle income against unnecessary vet bills.

Hope things work out.

Tink
05-11-2008, 10:44 PM
thanks, i started my diary today of his behavior and it seemed it was after soup, LOL. he has bad teeth (not an emergency but i'm saving for it since i'm low income..he came that way to me, vet says it is not a problem yet but could be in future) and now that i think of it he's always kinda made weird head movements during eating. maybe it's just that? (being hopeful)

calismum
05-11-2008, 10:52 PM
Could be some toothachey type thing - you know yourself what it can be like if you have sore or 'nervey' tooth.

Tink
05-11-2008, 11:35 PM
well actually he has a snaggletooth that prevents him from chewing normally. we are planning to shave it down because it sticks into his upper lip and remove the plaque off the teeth the kibble's not reaching. know what i mean?

calismum
05-11-2008, 11:43 PM
yes - friends dacshund had same type of thing. Who knows tink, that could be it. I just don't have enough knowledge to make a good judgement for you.

dandysmom
05-11-2008, 11:53 PM
I'm a worrier too, Tink, with just enough knowledge to assume the worst...know what you're going thru. I also know nothing about ferrets, so all I can do is send hugs and calming vibes. I do hope and pray it's nothing serious....

Tink
06-11-2008, 01:54 AM
thanks to all of the above! i'm feeling better now :-)
i've decided no matter what it's gonna be okay.

Natalie
06-11-2008, 07:09 AM
thanks to all of the above! i'm feeling better now :-)
i've decided no matter what it's gonna be okay.

Good positive thinking and glad things seem to be working out for Baby bear. Xxx

calismum
06-11-2008, 07:36 PM
How is babybear today tink?

Tink
06-11-2008, 09:15 PM
How is babybear today tink?

he is good, thanx. nothing else seems wrong..a few head bobs upon waking and a few after eating..still undecided so just logging it.
someone on another forum said "maybe he is just strutting his stuff?" that made me LOL.;)