PDA

View Full Version : Dirty cages and half witted staff

Elaine
20-08-2008, 11:10 PM
I saw red this afternoon:twisted:
Went into my old work, Acorn Pet Centre, to pick up cat food, litter etc. Any way as i was there this half wit member of staff was laughingly talking about the place being infested with rats:shock: :twisted: . Now as I used to work there, I know that due to holding pet foods etc, we did on ocasion have some mice, pest control come into the shop regularly.
That was the first thing apart from the place being filthy, shop floor not hoovered, shelves all untidy and unstocked.
I then went up to the animal section, they didnt have much in apart from 2 cages of budgies, one cage of finches and one of rats. The cages were disgusting, the walls of the bird cages were literally covered on bird droppings, I have never seen such filthy, disgusting cages.
I was furious. I asked the half witt when the bird cages were last cleaned, she replied "I think they were cleaned yesterday" I said yeah right, try again coz they didnt look to me like they had been cleaned in days and as this is a pet shop, animal cages should be cleaned thoroughly on a daily basis.
Half witt replied "why should I care?"
Now i am really angry:twisted: I said "Why should you care? You should care because the animals welfare is your responsibility, Why would any one want to buy an animal from a dirty cage? Dont you care about the animals welfare?":twisted:
She said that ofcourse she cared.
I then told her that poor hygene leads to poor health.
I had to walk away at that point coz i was shaking with anger.:twisted:
I called Acorns head office and complained, I dont supose they will do much. I called the SSPCA, again I dont think they will do much. I also called environmental health, have to call them again tomorrow.
I am considering talking to the press.

angieh
21-08-2008, 08:50 AM
You are of course rightly angry Elaine. Someone who cares as deeply as you do about animal welfare would be bound to feel as you do. Just take a very deep breath though and think about how the company may portray you if things go further, court for example - as an ex-employee with a grudge. Don't do anything too hastily .........

farthing
21-08-2008, 01:23 PM
Could you not report it to a local animal welfare group and get them to check it out, I know of one, which often visits pet shops and creates a fuss. If you are worried about not being taken seriously because you've worked there, it would be a way to go.

yola
21-08-2008, 02:44 PM
Elaine, I'm like you . . . if something gets my goat I stomp and make a fuss until someone does something about it! If you feel that you can achieve the correct end result - that is making sure your past employer's animal welfare policies improve then I'd say do what you can - even go to the press!

Infact you might even be able to use your addition insight as an ex-employee to good advantage - just make sure you're not contravening any employment or exit contracts coz then they could turn nasty.

PoshPuss
21-08-2008, 03:44 PM
Elaine I feel for you and understand how angry you are :(
You are entitled to make a complaint, ex-employee or not.
In fact, your experience makes it all the more important that the powers that be sit and take note. You are the advocate for the animals who cannot speak for themselves; you go girl!

Elaine
21-08-2008, 04:48 PM
Farthing, could you pm me more details about the animal welfare group that you know of please.

dandysmom
21-08-2008, 05:00 PM
That's disgusting, Elaine, my heart goes out to those poor animals! I hope someone will take action now that it's been reported........

farthing
24-08-2008, 10:32 PM
Elaine, did you get my pm, was it any help?

Kim
24-08-2008, 10:40 PM
Well done Elaine - these animals can't speak for themselves - you go girl!!!!

kado
25-08-2008, 12:13 AM
Yes i agree with Kim animals cant speak for themselves. They need people like you who realy care.

jane

Elaine
05-10-2008, 08:37 PM
Got a distressed call from one of my clients today. She had been into Acorn for some new toys for her cockateils and foolishly went to take a look at the animals in there.
She found 3 cockateils in a budgie cage, 2 sick with scaley beak, laboured breething etc, sitting on the bottom of the cage, eyes half shut and all puffed up. The other looking not so bad and on a perch. She spoke to one of the girls about the sick cockateils and was told that they were fine:shock: Then dim witted Julie, who thinks she knows it all aproached them quite aggressively and asked what their problem was:shock: My client was then told that the two sick birds had been put into the cage with the healthier one to keep it company:shock: :twisted: Dim wit told my client that all staff members have to hold a special licence before being allowed to handle any of the animals:shock: She then grabbed hold of one of the sick birds and began peeling the scaling of the beak and feet off, the bird was screaming.
My client said she would buy the healthier one, dim wit grabbed the bird and almost broke its wing getting it out of the cage. The birds feet were encrusted in droppings and its feathers were sticky. Dim wit told my client that they fed them on baby food:shock: because of its nutritional value:shock: :twisted:
My client was so upset at the state of the cages and the birds within, she rang me for the head office number. I have told her to also contact the SSPCA and the City Council Licensing board.
My client was smart enough to take pictures with her phone to back up her story.
I went to see the bird, who was clearly stressed but should settle given the right care and nutrition. It will be vet checked this week and is certainly over a year old and not 12 weeks as told by Dim Wit.:twisted:

dandysmom
05-10-2008, 08:44 PM
Horrendous! Thank God the client got the poor bird, and was clever enough to take photos. I cannot imagine the head office knowing about the deplorable conditions there and not taking action! ..Well, guess I can: money! It should be shut down by somebody: health department, licensing board, whoever should be responsible!!

Elaine
05-10-2008, 08:59 PM
I agree Eileen. I have written another letter to the Licencing board myself, I just hope that many others do too and they have their licence revoked.

Moli
05-10-2008, 09:57 PM
Thast is just disgusting.....I would like to meet Dimwit, put her right in her place, care for animals, huh! she has not got a b****y clue.....

Elaine
05-10-2008, 10:04 PM
Meet her? I'd love to punch her lights out!!!

Moli
05-10-2008, 10:07 PM
Meet her? I'd love to punch her lights out!!!Can I help??:twisted: :twisted:

Elaine
05-10-2008, 10:08 PM
Sure you can, she's much bigger than I am so i may need the help;)

Kazz
05-10-2008, 10:10 PM
Now now ladies violence gets you no where......

Elaine
05-10-2008, 10:13 PM
Now now ladies violence gets you no where......

Ofcourse we know you are right but it makes my blood boil.

angieh
06-10-2008, 01:09 PM
Would your distressed client be at all interested in sending copies of her photographs (well done to that person) to your local press? This is disgusting and if the Powers in your area do not take action, then they are disgusting too.

Poor birds.

dandysmom
06-10-2008, 04:06 PM
Brilliant idea, Angie!

Elaine
06-10-2008, 08:27 PM
That is a good idea Angie, I will mention it to Steph;)

Phoenix
06-10-2008, 08:31 PM
I was horrified to read that! would they like to be kept like that? :evil: :twisted: :evil:

calismum
08-10-2008, 07:31 PM
Elaine, can't believe they think they can get away with treating animals that way. I do hope your client is willing to take things as far as possible.

CM

Elaine
08-10-2008, 09:21 PM
Update.
Dimwit has been sacked.
Local authoruty licencing office are to investigate and have said they will give feed back as to the outcome.
It may still go to the press.

Erin
08-10-2008, 09:22 PM
Update.
Dimwit has been sacked.
Local authoruty licencing office are to investigate and have said they will give feed back as to the outcome.
It may still go to the press.

Its about time too,I really hope they close the place down!!

calismum
08-10-2008, 09:27 PM
great news . . . . ope it results in better conditions for the pets.

kado
08-10-2008, 09:29 PM
its about time these sort of uncaring dirty places are closed down.

angieh
08-10-2008, 09:43 PM
Good news! Wonder how they'll "get rid" of the poor remaining animals.

dandysmom
08-10-2008, 10:26 PM
Excellent news! Hope they do get shut down; but the poor animals will probably just go to another of their outlets....

Moli
08-10-2008, 10:28 PM
Brilliant news Elaine.....

Phoenix
09-10-2008, 07:07 PM
Glad to her that! :D