Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
20-08-2008, 11:10 PM   #1

Dirty cages and half witted staff

I saw red this afternoon
Went into my old work, Acorn Pet Centre, to pick up cat food, litter etc. Any way as i was there this half wit member of staff was laughingly talking about the place being infested with rats . Now as I used to work there, I know that due to holding pet foods etc, we did on ocasion have some mice, pest control come into the shop regularly.
That was the first thing apart from the place being filthy, shop floor not hoovered, shelves all untidy and unstocked.
I then went up to the animal section, they didnt have much in apart from 2 cages of budgies, one cage of finches and one of rats. The cages were disgusting, the walls of the bird cages were literally covered on bird droppings, I have never seen such filthy, disgusting cages.
I was furious. I asked the half witt when the bird cages were last cleaned, she replied "I think they were cleaned yesterday" I said yeah right, try again coz they didnt look to me like they had been cleaned in days and as this is a pet shop, animal cages should be cleaned thoroughly on a daily basis.
Half witt replied "why should I care?"
Now i am really angry I said "Why should you care? You should care because the animals welfare is your responsibility, Why would any one want to buy an animal from a dirty cage? Dont you care about the animals welfare?"
She said that ofcourse she cared.
I then told her that poor hygene leads to poor health.
I had to walk away at that point coz i was shaking with anger.
I called Acorns head office and complained, I dont supose they will do much. I called the SSPCA, again I dont think they will do much. I also called environmental health, have to call them again tomorrow.
I am considering talking to the press.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
21-08-2008, 08:50 AM   #2

Re: Dirty cages and half witted staff

You are of course rightly angry Elaine. Someone who cares as deeply as you do about animal welfare would be bound to feel as you do. Just take a very deep breath though and think about how the company may portray you if things go further, court for example - as an ex-employee with a grudge. Don't do anything too hastily .........

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
21-08-2008, 01:23 PM   #3

Could you not report it to a local animal welfare group and get them to check it out, I know of one, which often visits pet shops and creates a fuss. If you are worried about not being taken seriously because you've worked there, it would be a way to go.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
21-08-2008, 02:44 PM   #4

Elaine, I'm like you . . . if something gets my goat I stomp and make a fuss until someone does something about it! If you feel that you can achieve the correct end result - that is making sure your past employer's animal welfare policies improve then I'd say do what you can - even go to the press!

Infact you might even be able to use your addition insight as an ex-employee to good advantage - just make sure you're not contravening any employment or exit contracts coz then they could turn nasty.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
21-08-2008, 03:44 PM   #5

Elaine I feel for you and understand how angry you are
You are entitled to make a complaint, ex-employee or not.
In fact, your experience makes it all the more important that the powers that be sit and take note. You are the advocate for the animals who cannot speak for themselves; you go girl!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
21-08-2008, 04:48 PM   #6

Farthing, could you pm me more details about the animal welfare group that you know of please.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
21-08-2008, 05:00 PM   #7

That's disgusting, Elaine, my heart goes out to those poor animals! I hope someone will take action now that it's been reported........

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
24-08-2008, 10:32 PM   #8

Elaine, did you get my pm, was it any help?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
24-08-2008, 10:40 PM   #9

Well done Elaine - these animals can't speak for themselves - you go girl!!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: All black and white and tortie's
25-08-2008, 12:13 AM   #10

Yes i agree with Kim animals cant speak for themselves. They need people like you who realy care.

jane