PDA

View Full Version : Anybody like pigs?

farthing
20-08-2008, 10:30 PM
These are my 2 pigs, Gigi came to us on christmas eve, she was found running around a road, and we suspect she fell off a lorry. The vet thought she was about 2 weeks old. When she was 3 months we bought Scarlet as a companion.

Gigi on arrival, her eye was badly damaged and we thought she might lose it, but she's fine.
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk67/halfpenny_bucket/Pigs/GiGi02.jpg

Gigi now,
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk67/halfpenny_bucket/Pigs/DSC00031.jpg

Scarlet,
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk67/halfpenny_bucket/Pigs/DSC00086.jpg

best of friends,
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk67/halfpenny_bucket/Pigs/DSC00093.jpg

angieh
20-08-2008, 10:35 PM
Lovely - the first piggies I've seen here at Catsey!

I remember a TV programme some time ago that tried to assess how intelligent pigs are - they came out to be more intelligent than dogs. Makes me wonder whether I should be quite so keen to eat b****.

(When I kept chickens, I would never say "chicken noodle soup" in their hearing - it was always referred to as CNS!)

yola
20-08-2008, 10:37 PM
I ADORE pigs; smart animals with huge personalities!!!

Living in a town centre with a postage stamp of a garden they're not an option for me, but OH's Dad used to have a smallholding when he was a child and he tells great stories of him and his brother riding bare-back on the pigs around the farm :D

I guess you must have loads of suitable space as they grow ever so big . . . would love to see more pics! :D

dandysmom
20-08-2008, 10:46 PM
I've never met a pig "up close and personal", but know they're highly intelligent animals...yours are very cute!

pinklizzy
21-08-2008, 07:53 AM
Pigs are great! I'd love to keep them but I'm allergic to the coarse hairs they have- they make me break out in massive hives if I touch them :roll:

Darky
21-08-2008, 10:46 AM
Gorgeous! I love pigs, they're so adorable.

calismum
21-08-2008, 11:31 AM
love pigs - they are great to have if you have the space. Are they a particular breed. Scarlet looks quite like a Tamworth?

farthing
21-08-2008, 01:18 PM
Hi, glad you like the pigs.:D
Gigi is a large commercial breed, and very bright and cheeky, I don't know if it is nature or nurture, but knowing her it really makes me angry that these animals can be kept in such cramped conditions when they are so active, mentally and physically. Over 70% of pigs in britain are still born in farrowing crates.:mad:
Scarlet is, we think, a tamworth cross gloucester old spot, and a much more laid back, gently character. If you rub her tummy she just rolls over and lies there until you stop.
We have 17 acres so lots if space and quite big out buildings. They will probably come into a pen in the winter time- all our animals go in somewhere at night time in the winter- even the sheep:oops: . Makes sure the oldies are warm and safe and gives us peace of mind, I've been up at 4 in the morning in torrential rain, taking animals in as I felt guilty. But why have them if you aren't going to look after them?

PoshPuss
21-08-2008, 01:32 PM
Farthing, you sound like a very compassionate person :)
I'd love to keep all sorts of animals but the only room I have for them is in my heart. I collect little pottery pigs with cute sayings on them, so, yes I LOVE PIGS!

Elaine
21-08-2008, 04:59 PM
Bless your heart Farthing, you are such a good soul xxx
Love the piggies:D

angieh
21-08-2008, 05:34 PM
We live not far away from what was a few years ago the largest free range pig farm in Europe. The pigs all have loads of room, those little arcs full of straw to sleep in, water troughs and muddy places and places with straw and green shading to go in if it gets too sunny for them. I love it when they have their piglets and they run about and play chase. Whenever I drive past the fields, I always say "Good morning or afternoon Piggies!". We do actually like to eat pork and buy our meat from the local free range butcher. Tastes so much better and I feel guilt-free about it.

Farthing, if I were an animal I'd like to live with you!

farthing
21-08-2008, 06:48 PM
Thanks every body, although I have to admit our place is very untidy, however when anybody visits they always comment on the fact the animals seem happy, I truely hope so. I also believe it doesn't matter if you love one animal or many, as long as you love it and do the best for it, you've done a worthy thing.
Angieh, as you may have guessed I don't eat meat, but I do eat fish, just can't give it up although I have guilt pangs now and then. Mike still eats meat, but like you he tries to buy local, free range meat. We both think the best way to eat meat is to raise your own, take it to the slaughter house and butcher it on you own. I, would rather do without than make that choice (although the dogs and cats have meat) and Mike has meat, but just gets too attached to our own animals to do away with them.:?

angieh
21-08-2008, 08:13 PM
I could never have eaten any of our chooks either Farthing! Although the eggs were wonderful!

Moli
21-08-2008, 08:15 PM
I do like those two, lovely to see them enjoying life.....There was a pig farm next to my grans farm, and we spent many summers playing with the piglets...

dandysmom
21-08-2008, 08:38 PM
I don't know if I'm hardhearted or pragmatic. I had no problems helping my Grandma kill a chicken and thoroughly enjoyed the resulting chicken and dumplings, however I could never have eaten Henry, my pet chicken I had as a child. A difference between food animals and pet animals?

Kim
21-08-2008, 09:20 PM
Youe pigs are gorgeous and you sound such a kind, caring person.

angieh
21-08-2008, 09:42 PM
I am sure that once you have given an animal a name, a bond is created which makes eating it a bit like eating a friend. All my chooks had names!

calismum
21-08-2008, 10:57 PM
We used to have a field with some Tamworths in it not far from where we live. They were lovely and enjoyed coming up to the fence for a scratch! The babies were adorable and made such a noise when they played chases. My horse did not like them one wee bit and I had real problems getting him to go past the field.

The fully grown adults were huge.

Your animal 'haven' sounds just perfect. Who cares about mess as long as everyone is well and happy.

CM

Steph
21-08-2008, 11:10 PM
I also like pigs-they have tough skin though so one has to be very firm when `scritching` them. But I guess I am two faced.

I`ll go to a sanctuary and get face to face with any animal-but I still like my Sunday roast and BBQ.

I just think about where I buy my meat

Kazz
12-07-2009, 01:49 PM
I like to think where I buy my meat too but by the same token not sure if I would get attatched to something that I would possibly be eating...I thnk you need to put the barriers up first. I think naming them would not help either...kindness would not be an issue couldn't forsee myself being cruel live a good life die in a humane way whats wrong with that.

Love your pigs though I like pigs my friends Dad had a pig called wait for it yes Bacon but she lived way past her sell/cook by date.......her Dad got so attatched he always came up with reasons....to keep her yet all there other animals moved on. He said the pig used to listen to him...you wouldn't have thought it to see or listen to him but get him on the subject of Bacon and a different man appeared.

dinahsmum
12-07-2009, 03:17 PM
I didn't eat meat for about 15 years. Then, after we moved back here I realised that the only reason the countryside I love is as it is is because of farming, including animal farming. If no-one ate meat then we would be like the dark ages, with forest everywhere (or more likely houses :roll:)
So, I tried a bit, liked it, and have eaten some meat ever since. Only free range, local or (for beef) Scottish. Lots of game, on the basis that it lives a natural life until the very second it is no longer alive.

Piggies - I loves 'em, and actually rarely eat pork. They are incredibly clever, and clean, creatures. I saw one on TV spelling it's name (HAM) in children's alphabet blocks. And I've seen others playing 'pong ( !), the old computer game, with specially adapted joysticks.

So - big brains, crap 'hands'. The species could never go anywhere with those stupid appendages. We're very fortunate with our opposable thumbs.

What a load or ramble! Yes i like pigs (especially babies, which are just scrummy) and thanks for posting the pics

random
12-07-2009, 09:57 PM
I love pigs! Gorgeous girls! Lucky lucky Gigi!

Kim
12-07-2009, 09:58 PM
You sound like an amazing, warm, caring person Farthing and your pigs are gorgeous and sooo lucky!

random
12-07-2009, 10:12 PM
I eat some meat, pork not so often and I don't like to eat veal, rabbit, lamb or venison, so mainly game, chicken and fish but even with a chicken, I could never eat an animal i'd already 'met' when it was alive. I think they all have personalities and if i'd gotten to 'know' them, there's noway i'd eat them, it's just not for me.

Eileen I can understand how you were fine with the killing of the 'food' chickens as you were brought up with it, from a child, I was probably kept very sheltered in that respect and was probably quite old in comparison (perhaps 5?) before I learnt/realised that I was actually eating what was once a live animal as I had to work it out myself, I was never told. I must have been about 8 or 10 before I even knew which way up the cooked chicken was, i.e where it's head used to be. I think as I was always an animal lover from being really wee, my parents tried to hide it from me, where with Myles i've always told him matter of factly where his food comes from, yet still, I know that seeing any animal killed he'd be greatly disturbed by.

random
12-07-2009, 10:14 PM
Hi, glad you like the pigs.:D
Gigi is a large commercial breed, and very bright and cheeky, I don't know if it is nature or nurture, but knowing her it really makes me angry that these animals can be kept in such cramped conditions when they are so active, mentally and physically. Over 70% of pigs in britain are still born in farrowing crates.:mad:
Scarlet is, we think, a tamworth cross gloucester old spot, and a much more laid back, gently character. If you rub her tummy she just rolls over and lies there until you stop.
We have 17 acres so lots if space and quite big out buildings. They will probably come into a pen in the winter time- all our animals go in somewhere at night time in the winter- even the sheep:oops: . Makes sure the oldies are warm and safe and gives us peace of mind, I've been up at 4 in the morning in torrential rain, taking animals in as I felt guilty. But why have them if you aren't going to look after them?

Just like the 'good shepherd', that really warms my heart and tells of such a great person to look after these animals so well. x

farthing
12-07-2009, 10:53 PM
Glad you are re-enjoying the piggy photos, and thanks for the kind comments- you obviously don't know me!:lol:

Gigi and Scarlet have been out the whole summer, Gigi is still active, but Scarlet likes the easy life. They are very gentle and affectionate, unless you are trying to give them an injection. We were worried about Scarlet in May as she went off her food. We called the vet out and we think she had gone into season, Gigi was out of sorts a few weeks later- so my babies have all grown up.
The hot weather has been a bit of a problem for them, but every time Mike put on sunscreen, he put some on the girls as well, so they were fine. Mike is fair and ginger, so gets sunburt easily, in fact its like living with a vampire.:roll: