Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
20-08-2008, 10:30 PM   #1

Anybody like pigs?

These are my 2 pigs, Gigi came to us on christmas eve, she was found running around a road, and we suspect she fell off a lorry. The vet thought she was about 2 weeks old. When she was 3 months we bought Scarlet as a companion.

Gigi on arrival, her eye was badly damaged and we thought she might lose it, but she's fine.

Gigi now,

Scarlet,

best of friends,

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
20-08-2008, 10:35 PM   #2

Re: Anybody like pigs?

Lovely - the first piggies I've seen here at Catsey!

I remember a TV programme some time ago that tried to assess how intelligent pigs are - they came out to be more intelligent than dogs. Makes me wonder whether I should be quite so keen to eat b****.

(When I kept chickens, I would never say "chicken noodle soup" in their hearing - it was always referred to as CNS!)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
20-08-2008, 10:37 PM   #3

I ADORE pigs; smart animals with huge personalities!!!

Living in a town centre with a postage stamp of a garden they're not an option for me, but OH's Dad used to have a smallholding when he was a child and he tells great stories of him and his brother riding bare-back on the pigs around the farm

I guess you must have loads of suitable space as they grow ever so big . . . would love to see more pics!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
20-08-2008, 10:46 PM   #4

I've never met a pig "up close and personal", but know they're highly intelligent animals...yours are very cute!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Imogen BSH
21-08-2008, 07:53 AM   #5

Pigs are great! I'd love to keep them but I'm allergic to the coarse hairs they have- they make me break out in massive hives if I touch them

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: B&W Semi-Long Hair Moggy
Darky is Male
21-08-2008, 10:46 AM   #6

Gorgeous! I love pigs, they're so adorable.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
21-08-2008, 11:31 AM   #7

love pigs - they are great to have if you have the space. Are they a particular breed. Scarlet looks quite like a Tamworth?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
21-08-2008, 01:18 PM   #8

Hi, glad you like the pigs.
Gigi is a large commercial breed, and very bright and cheeky, I don't know if it is nature or nurture, but knowing her it really makes me angry that these animals can be kept in such cramped conditions when they are so active, mentally and physically. Over 70% of pigs in britain are still born in farrowing crates.
Scarlet is, we think, a tamworth cross gloucester old spot, and a much more laid back, gently character. If you rub her tummy she just rolls over and lies there until you stop.
We have 17 acres so lots if space and quite big out buildings. They will probably come into a pen in the winter time- all our animals go in somewhere at night time in the winter- even the sheep . Makes sure the oldies are warm and safe and gives us peace of mind, I've been up at 4 in the morning in torrential rain, taking animals in as I felt guilty. But why have them if you aren't going to look after them?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
21-08-2008, 01:32 PM   #9

Farthing, you sound like a very compassionate person
I'd love to keep all sorts of animals but the only room I have for them is in my heart. I collect little pottery pigs with cute sayings on them, so, yes I LOVE PIGS!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
21-08-2008, 04:59 PM   #10

Bless your heart Farthing, you are such a good soul xxx
Love the piggies