PDA

View Full Version : Bernie

Elaine
17-02-2008, 10:36 AM
Just gave me the fright of my life. Not long out of bed, having a cuppa and checking emails when Bernie let out the most blood curdling scream. I ran into the living room, in the darkness i could see him lying aukwardly down by the sofa, he was crying and growling.
I ran to put the light on, called on Graham who ran through to see what was going on, I scooped up Eva to get her out of the way.
We have a scratching post by the sofa, looks like Bernie had somehow managed to get his hind leg tangled in the string of the toy that's attached to it. He is fine now but oh my god what a fright.

dinahsmum
17-02-2008, 10:42 AM
Oooooch. Not a good start to the day. Glad all is well

Elaine
17-02-2008, 10:57 AM
Just glad it happened when we were here to free him, dread to think what the outcome would have been if we were both out at work:shock:
All toys on string have now been removed from all scratch posts.

alexgirl73
17-02-2008, 11:15 AM
oh my Elaine! I bet your heart was going like the clappers. Extra spoiling for mummys boy today I think.

babycakes
17-02-2008, 11:30 AM
Poor Bernie, hope he's ok

angieh
17-02-2008, 01:12 PM
OMG Elaine. So glad Bernie is OK. You never know when something like a piece of string is going to catch them out! Merlin is very glad Bernie has come to no harm.

Grete
17-02-2008, 01:29 PM
Eeeek poor Bernie!! Glad he's OK, lots of extra cuddles from us! Nice cup of tea for you to calm down with too!

Elaine
17-02-2008, 03:40 PM
Bernie has been well and trully cuddled. My poor guy was so scared and very hissy spitty, he has had a thorough check over and is absolutely fine.
What a fright though, I remember when Eva was just a little kitten, she had got her hind leg tangled in the rope of one of those fishing pole type toys, again fortunately I was here when it happened and got her free. I generally only buy the feathered fishing pole toys now although i do the da bird which is on string and I always put it away safely after playing but had never given that much thought to the toys that come attached to scratching posts.
All's well that ends well and thats another lesson learned about what can harm our dear kitties when we may not be around.

Erin
17-02-2008, 05:10 PM
oh my poor baby bernie boo,give him extra cuddles from me,that must have been so scarey Elaine,it really is a good job you were there

dandysmom
17-02-2008, 05:13 PM
OMG, Elaine, how lucky that it happened when you were home! What a dreadful scare to start the day; something like that never occurred to me! Fortunately I'd simply taken the toy-on-a-string off Leia's tree as she didn't play with it.....she sends sympathy to Bernie, as so I....and a big :bighug: to you!

Moli
17-02-2008, 06:23 PM
Thank goodness he is ok Elaine, I would never have though they could be dangerous, just cut the ones of my post too..

Kazz
17-02-2008, 06:34 PM
You can't remove every danger Elaine no matter how hard you try but I am pleased you were there to sort it out for him.

Take care Karen

Elaine
17-02-2008, 07:37 PM
It simply never occurred to me that he could get tangled in that one as they dont play with the dangly toys on them. One of those things i guess that you dont think about until it happens to one of your own.
I know I cannt remove all dangers but that one has now gone.

Kay
20-02-2008, 10:09 PM
It is an awful scare isn't it. I always take the toys of pieces of string as we had a similar scare with Tate when he was a kitten. He fell off his scratching post and got the string caught round his neck. Luckily Mark was there so was able to free him.
Hope he is feeling better now.

Elaine
20-02-2008, 10:38 PM
It is an awful scare isn't it. I always take the toys of pieces of string as we had a similar scare with Tate when he was a kitten. He fell off his scratching post and got the string caught round his neck. Luckily Mark was there so was able to free him.
Hope he is feeling better now.

OMG Kay, thats seriously frightening. Glad Mark was there and Tate was ok.

Kay
20-02-2008, 10:45 PM
Thanks Elaine. I now warn all my new kitten owners about the dangers of string and cats getting caught.

Kim
21-02-2008, 09:31 PM
Wow, rthat must have given you both such a fright. Poor Bernie, so glad she is okay. ((hugs))