PDA

View Full Version : Killed a cat tonight

Kazz
07-02-2008, 10:20 PM
Well tonight I killed a Cat, a black white cat who just ran out in front of the car or under it hard to say, so quick. I was only pottering but I hit him killing him outright (Thankfuly in one respect, dont mean that to sound heartless) he had a collar on and I ran the number a lady answered and I asked if they had a cat black white, she said yes, I said where I was (road name) and she said that just outside my house she lived on the road not a main road. I said I outside XYZ and she again confirmed I was right outside in fact her house I asked if she could come to the door I saw her and walked ver explaining I had just killed her cat.:cry: she was heartbroken but very very nice to me. But just really as I would have been to someone. I'd wrapped the cat in the tartan picnic blanket I keep in the boot. Offered to take her to the vets or somewhere, gave her my phone number and name and apologised again.

Her husband I think came out and thanked me for contacting them and carried the cat home seems he was his cat.:cry:

The lady was very nice the cats name is Oliver. So RIP Oliver.

dandysmom
07-02-2008, 10:45 PM
Oh Karen, what a horrible experience for you, and for the poor owners!!! They dart so fast, nothing you could have done...:( but at least they know what happened and won't be wondering and worrying ...

RIP, little Oliver, play at the Bridge...

Het
07-02-2008, 10:59 PM
oh Kazz...its such an awful thing to happen all round. Its happened to me and you keep running it through in your head, wondering 'what if' this and 'what if' that. Just be comforted that you were able to let the owners know what happened and that the little fella didn't suffer....

Kazz
07-02-2008, 11:07 PM
I know its not my fault and as a cat owner and one who lost her first cat Archie to RTA I know cats and roads just do not mix.
But I am so sorry.

Mags
07-02-2008, 11:35 PM
Oh Kazz .....I'm so sorry that happened to you of all people:( cats are so fast that even at a slow speed there was nothing you could have done to prevent it.

You were kind enough to trace the owner to let her know ....... also you took the trouble to wrap the poor boy in your blanket before she saw him.

Run free at the bridge Oliver...

babycakes
07-02-2008, 11:38 PM
Oh dear Kazz how awful. I have never been in this situation and don't know what I what I would do. Thank god you have done all the right things in informing the owners. I know I would want that if it was mine.
Good on them for having a collar on the cat too so you were able to do that.
I am so glad Denis is harnessed, I couldn't stand the pain for myself and for the unfortunate driver, such as yourself Kazz. Sorry you had to go through that experience.
Rip in Oliver

angieh
07-02-2008, 11:41 PM
Oh Kazz - lots of sympathy to you, Oliver and his people. Nothing you could have done as you know, but makes you feel sick doesn't it? Lol. RIP Oliver.

Fran
07-02-2008, 11:43 PM
Oh no :( How absolutely awful for you Kazz and the cat's owners :( RIP Oliver x

Kay
07-02-2008, 11:50 PM
How awful Kazz but at least the owners know what happened to their beloved pet. It is much better knowing than not.

RIP Oliver.

yola
07-02-2008, 11:50 PM
So very sorry you had to experience it. So very sorry for poor Oliver and his folks too :( Bad all around I'm afraid. But you were very brave and did a very kind thing in contacting the owners. Thankfully it was quick, and Oliver knew nothing :cry:

It is something that is constantly running through my head at all times that I'm in the car. I have this awful feeling that one day it is going to happen.

smudgley
08-02-2008, 12:20 AM
Kazz, what a terrible thing to experience... but as we have said many times, there's nothing anyone can do in these situations.

:bighug: :bighug:

Grete
08-02-2008, 08:47 AM
I'm so sorry Kazz :( What an awful thing to have happened. I can only echo what everyone else had said, there was nothing you could have done and at least it was quick for the poor boy. I think it's wonderful you wrapped him and contacted his family, that is so much more than a lot of people would have done.

*hugs*

RIP Oliver, run free at the bridge with our beloved babies.

CathyW
08-02-2008, 09:30 AM
R.I.P. oliver.
so sad for you and for his owners.
ive lost a cat to a road, and its heart breaking,i worry when mine are out.thats why i try n get mine in from 6 at night,
but was kind of you to ring the owners.

dinahsmum
08-02-2008, 10:54 AM
Poor Oliver
Poor Kazz
Hope you slept Ok Karen - you did exactly what you should have.

alexgirl73
08-02-2008, 01:13 PM
So sorry karen ((hugs)), you did all you could and at least his owners know what happened and wont be left wondering.

RIP Oliver xx

Kazz
08-02-2008, 05:29 PM
Brought them a card today will drop it in tonight when I go for fish and chips.

yola
08-02-2008, 05:54 PM
Please do let them know that like-minded cat people are feeling their pain and loss :(

Elaine
08-02-2008, 07:57 PM
Oh how very sad. Hugs to you Kazz, I fear these things happening but sadly they do.
R.I.P. Oliver xxx

Kim
08-02-2008, 10:55 PM
That's really sad kazz. R.I.P Oliver. ((hugs)) to you.

sammy
08-02-2008, 11:53 PM
Really sorry to read this Kazz, horrible thing to happen, but you did the right thing.x

random
09-02-2008, 12:09 AM
So sorry to read this Kazz. :(

My mum killed one on the road last year and she was absolutely devestated for weeks. It never had a tag on it's collar so at least you have the closure of knowing you did the right thing by owning up and being able to return the wee thing to it's owners. My mum's ex (long since dumped, he was a horrid man at times) drove out, picked it up and put it in a bin on the side of the street! :shock: He had no empathy at all. 'Don't worry, it's just a cat' was his attitude to the whole situation. I put an add in the paper and the newsagents in the lost and found, but was never contacted.

I wish that when I lost Nipper, the person would have had the decency to do as you have Kazz, but they just left her on the side of the road for all to see, upset a lot of the locals before I was even informed. Had to collect her myself, not something i'll ever get over but would have made it so much easier to cope with if the person had told me when it happened at least. I'd have known at least that she died instantly and wasn't left suffering. It was very kind of you to wrap him up and take him over to them, that will have helped a lot for sure. Must have been very hard for you but well done.

R.I.P Oliver. x

Hope you are ok Kazz. x

John
09-02-2008, 11:10 AM
The same thing has happened to me two dogs and one cat..the dogs were being walked by there owners not on a lead...they just walked out on the road in front of me...it makes me so mad when I see people walking there dogs with no lead..they dont seem to realize that it also upsets car drivers when they run over an animal...the cat also ran under the car..

Kazz
09-02-2008, 11:48 AM
My Archie was killed on a road he was under 1 and it was right outside my flat, I always kinda blamed myself because when I got home from work I used to put his fish on to cook - he had steamed coley ususally. :) (see spoiling them back then) and I called him for his tea, he was running towards the flat but it was a really really quiet road but still he went under a car. The chap and his wife did stop but I agree picking your catup from the road is not a nice thing to do.

janey83
09-02-2008, 02:11 PM
Aww that's awful, If I ran over a cat I wouldn't know what to do! I wouldn't have the guts to look at the damage, id have to ask someone else to go and look (then id contact the owner)
I have been in a car while knocking a cat down but I was about 7, I was in hysterics crying, we stopped but the cat had died... That memory still hasn't gone away.

R.I.P Oliver.

Kazz
09-02-2008, 07:08 PM
Aww that's awful, If I ran over a cat I wouldn't know what to do! I wouldn't have the guts to look at the damage, id have to ask someone else to go and look (then id contact the owner)
I have been in a car while knocking a cat down but I was about 7, I was in hysterics crying, we stopped but the cat had died... That memory still hasn't gone away.

R.I.P Oliver.

I know I feel the same and did but I could not waste time worrying when the cat could have been hurt and needing help.

I popped the card into them and they had a card for me saying "Thank you for your kindness" :cry: I asked how they knew I would be back with a card they said "its what they would do" I am touched by the card as they were with theirs.

babycakes
09-02-2008, 07:19 PM
That is really lovely Kazz, you have helped them enormously in their grief. X

dandysmom
09-02-2008, 08:51 PM
You could not have done more, Kazz! That was so hard for all of you......

catsmum
11-02-2008, 02:43 PM
Kazz.............big hugs. how sad to go through that. i would have done the same as you I really would. A horrible experience. Oliver will be at Rainbow bridge now.

Thinking of you x