PDA

View Full Version : Puppies on the way!!

Pages : 1 [2]

Fran
16-02-2008, 09:40 AM
Well the final head count is 9. 5 Girls & 4 boys :D 7 black & only 2 choccie :shock: :-D The last pup, the choccie boy is still with us this morning but is reluctant to suckle. I keep putting him on the teat, will monitor his progress over the rest of the day. Photos's later when I have got myself sorted out. I need to get Maddie to the vets for some oxytocin as she has retained 2 of the placentas. 'Pull through & get stronger' vibes for the choccie boy please :-)

dinahsmum
16-02-2008, 10:36 AM
All best wishes to all. Poor final chap, waiting in the queue so long wasn't good for him. Hopefully he will thrive like Spock did with your loving care. Hope you get your errands done swiftly, that the oxytocin does its job and that Maddie and you can just relax and bask in the puppy glow.

smudgley
16-02-2008, 11:55 AM
Hope the little one makes it.

Well done Maddie. :)

angieh
16-02-2008, 12:05 PM
Get strong vibes for choccy! Hope you can all re-gather your strength and get some sleep. What a long whelping, poor Maddie - lots of love sweetheart. XX

ellenlouise
16-02-2008, 12:23 PM
Strong Vibes floating your way. Congratulations Fran what wonderful news. I am so glad you have your Black girl.

Kazz
16-02-2008, 12:56 PM
9 is a good number. :) best wishes for you all. Karen

Mags
16-02-2008, 01:13 PM
Congrats to you and Maddie, Fran............ you have all earned a well deserved rest now..:D

Strong and strengthening vibes being sent to little Choccy, I hope that with your help he'll pull through... xx

Elaine
16-02-2008, 01:17 PM
9 pups:shock: Poor Maddie, she must be exhausted. Sending lots of strong healing vibes to the wee choccy and to Maddie. xxx

babycakes
16-02-2008, 04:52 PM
Get strongerer vibes heading Choccy's way XXXXXXX

Erin
16-02-2008, 05:04 PM
9!!! strong healing vibesbeing sent for the little choccy pup xxx

dandysmom
16-02-2008, 05:29 PM
Get stronger vibes coming for the wee choccie boy. Congrats to you and mum; you both must be so glad it's over......

PoshPuss
16-02-2008, 06:54 PM
Nine pups... well done Maddie.
C'mon little choccie boy, get stuck in there and feed li'l un! :)

MrsH
16-02-2008, 10:12 PM
Congrats on a super sounding litter. Come on little choccy chappie we're all behind you!

borderdawn
16-02-2008, 10:26 PM
Glad they are ok. Was the choc male the last one? Is he smaller? My friend mated her bitch 3 times and one of those, the last one born was smaller and weaker than the others. The vets said (as did a well respected Canine mating/fertility expert) that he was probably conceived on the last mating, so "premature" he pulled through but took a little time to catch up. He was smaller all round, but at 12mths he is a normal size.
Dawn.

Fran
16-02-2008, 11:21 PM
Hi Dawn, yes he was the last one but no he isn't small at all, certainly not the smallest. The problem occured because his sac had broken, Maddie was tiring and took ages to get him out. We took her out for a run in the car which seemed to perk her contractions up again but by the time he was born he had inhaled loads of birthing fluids into his lungs. He was totally 'flat' and not breathing but I spent ages swinging him and sucking the fluid out of his nose and mouth and gave him some Dopram V drops. Eventually he started to breath albeit very eratically. I kept up with the swinging and sucking and eventually he cried and I knew he was with us but then he struggled to suckle. Tonight, however, he's fighting the others off his favourite teat :lol: he is certainly very much brighter now and suckling relatively well. He's maintained his birth weight whereas all the others have gained but considering he's only really just got the hang of suckling I'm pleased with this.

Thank you all for your good wishes :-)

ellenlouise
16-02-2008, 11:25 PM
Fantastic news Fran!! I can imagine your quite fond of choccie now are you sure you don't have room for him as well as the black bitch? lol

babycakes
16-02-2008, 11:45 PM
Fran you have done very well and god job you were so knowledgeable you obviously saved his life. Well done to you X the care you give your animals is second to none X

Fran
16-02-2008, 11:45 PM
Here's a piccie of them all..

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h242/chapelrose/14-2-080001_2.jpg

babycakes
16-02-2008, 11:47 PM
Wow thats a brood, I hope you haven't missed my thread (cos you posted at the same time) but They are obviously doing well because you are such a good breeder X

ellenlouise
16-02-2008, 11:56 PM
They are gorgeous. Why do some have collars and some don't? I am all broody now. Do you already have homes for them all? Gosh arent you amazing breeding beautiful puppies and kittens what a perfect mum you must be.

Fran
16-02-2008, 11:56 PM
Thank you BC, those are very kind words :-)

ellenlouise - I would love to keep all of them :-D

ellenlouise
17-02-2008, 12:03 AM
Then keep them all Fran I posted again but you may not have seen because we did at same time he he

Fran
17-02-2008, 01:11 AM
Why do some have collars and some don't? I am all broody now. Do you already have homes for them all?

The collars - well there are four girls the same colour and 3 boys the same colour. The collars help me identify which pup is which to keep an eye on their daily weight gains ;)

Yes, they all had homes before they were born :-)

Grete
17-02-2008, 08:13 AM
That pic is just wonderful :) Well done Maddie and Fran!!

dinahsmum
17-02-2008, 10:44 AM
What a lovely healthy looking crew.
Blacks to the front, chocs to the back? Some sort of doggie discrimination going on there :) :)

So Fran - what's your girlie's name? ......... and have you even chosen her yet? probably not, I guess?

Fran
17-02-2008, 11:40 AM
So Fran - what's your girlie's name? ......... and have you even chosen her yet? probably not, I guess?

Not chosen her as yet and most likely it will be a good few weeks before we make a firm decision, although one of them keeps catching my eye ;) Name not chosen as yet :)

Mags
17-02-2008, 11:42 AM
Fantastic news that Choccie has made it ........... a pat on the back to you Fran for not giving up on the little chap..;)

That's a wonderful pic of them all with Maddie..:D

angieh
17-02-2008, 01:02 PM
A lovely picture Fran. Well done to you and to Maddie too of course! Lol.

Elaine
17-02-2008, 06:10 PM
Lovely picture of the pups Fran, what is it with your animals that they cannt produce a basset for me:lol:
Maybe I should read a bit more about genetics:lol: :lol: :lol:

Moli
17-02-2008, 06:19 PM
What a beautiful family, well done PK, sounds as if the wee boy will grow big and strong...:)

Kazz
17-02-2008, 06:43 PM
They all look really well and contented there Fran well done Maddie.

borderdawn
17-02-2008, 10:46 PM
Looking super!! Hope Maddie picks up, she is probably just totally exhausted.

yola
18-02-2008, 12:02 AM
Oh Fran. That is just the most precious picture; that row of pups is just amazing. Maddie is really super to produce 9 healthy, strapping pups like that!! Well done to the both of you, there are many breeders that could take a leaf out of your book.

Fran
18-02-2008, 12:03 AM
All's going well so far. All the puppies have gained weight, including the choccie boy :cool: Maddie is very much brighter today following a great night's sleep. She's at the vets in the morning for a check up. She had oxytocin at the vets yesterday for retained placentas and I had to give her oxcytocin a couple of hours later at home as the vet was concerned her uterus felt quite lumpy, she also had an A/B jab and an x-ray to rule out a retained pup. If the vet isn't happy with the 'feel' of her uterus tomorrow she will be speyed on tuesday. Fingers crossed it's onwards and upwards from here :D

dinahsmum
18-02-2008, 10:40 AM
Fingers crossed that she doesn't need the op just yet .... imagine a tummy wound and 36 little paws and 9 little (toothless) mouths. Ouch!
Maybe you'd like to start a new thread Fran - Puppy Diary or something like that, so we can follow their progress from now till they leave home?

Fran
18-02-2008, 12:59 PM
Good idea DM! Maddie has had her vet check and the vet is happy with the feel of her uterus, so no emergency spey necessary at this point, just keeping her on A/B's for a while longer which is good news. All the babies are gaining weight nicely. I have a couple of new pics taken this morning, so will post them in a new thread.