PDA

View Full Version : a question for breeders...

miki
23-01-2008, 07:35 PM
Well we castrate male cats to avoid spraying, right...if there are male cats and they are not fixed - do they spray? How are you than able to live with that cat? Or they just spray in certain areas (like scratching posts)?

Kay
25-01-2008, 12:03 AM
I am a breeder of Persians cats and have 2 entire boys, 6 entire girls and 3 neutered girls. The boys do not live outside in stud houses as many breeders boys do and I have been very lucky as neither Tate, who is 6, or Cory, aged 2, have ever sprayed. I realise this is not the norm but I do know of several breeders who are in the same position as me. On the other hand I also know of several people who have had their boys neutered before they reached sexual maturity and they still spray. I even know some people who have spayed girls who spray.
Spraying is not just confined to entire males as is the common belief.

Grete
25-01-2008, 12:41 AM
Spraying is not just confined to entire males as is the common belief.

Hehe definately not :) I think it is more common in entire males as they are more likely to defend / mark their territory this way. The girls and neutered boys I know that spray it has usually been down to stress or invasion from another cat.

miki
25-01-2008, 06:43 PM
really - neutered cats spray too? even females?
I didn't know there are males who never spray if they are not neutered. But I mean how do you know that "your boy" won't spray when grown up? Is it because he comes from certain lines?
Just asking silly questions, I know...

charliebubs
25-01-2008, 09:13 PM
I don't think you can ever really "know", Miki. It's just down to the behaviour of that individual cat.

As Kay has said - females can spray and we had a neutered female when I was a child and she sprayed all the time :roll: mainly in the kitchen and sometimes on the worktops. It was a bit of a nightmare for my poor parents :(

dandysmom
25-01-2008, 09:16 PM
I didn't know there are males who never spray if they are not neutered. But I mean how do you know that "your boy" won't spray when grown up? Is it because he comes from certain lines?

You don't! But he probably will. It's instinctive for a whole male to mark his territory.
Neutered males will spray also; my Aby never sprayed in the house but did outside. My friend's spayed brown tabby did also.

Kay
29-01-2008, 09:21 PM

It isn't something that is or isn't in certain lines. Tates dad could never be kept in the house as he sprayed excessively but Tate doesn't spray at all. One of my friend's boys doesn't spray yethis son who has not yet mated a girl is excessive. I don't now why some do and some don't. I guess it is just done to nature.