Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: mix
23-01-2008, 07:35 PM   #1

a question for breeders...

Well we castrate male cats to avoid spraying, right...if there are male cats and they are not fixed - do they spray? How are you than able to live with that cat? Or they just spray in certain areas (like scratching posts)?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
25-01-2008, 12:03 AM   #2

Re: a question for breeders...

I am a breeder of Persians cats and have 2 entire boys, 6 entire girls and 3 neutered girls. The boys do not live outside in stud houses as many breeders boys do and I have been very lucky as neither Tate, who is 6, or Cory, aged 2, have ever sprayed. I realise this is not the norm but I do know of several breeders who are in the same position as me. On the other hand I also know of several people who have had their boys neutered before they reached sexual maturity and they still spray. I even know some people who have spayed girls who spray.
Spraying is not just confined to entire males as is the common belief.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Owned BY Bubbles & Fizz (fem dsh)
25-01-2008, 12:41 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay
Spraying is not just confined to entire males as is the common belief.
Hehe definately not I think it is more common in entire males as they are more likely to defend / mark their territory this way. The girls and neutered boys I know that spray it has usually been down to stress or invasion from another cat.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: mix
25-01-2008, 06:43 PM   #4

really - neutered cats spray too? even females?
I didn't know there are males who never spray if they are not neutered. But I mean how do you know that "your boy" won't spray when grown up? Is it because he comes from certain lines?
Just asking silly questions, I know...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
25-01-2008, 09:13 PM   #5

I don't think you can ever really "know", Miki. It's just down to the behaviour of that individual cat.

As Kay has said - females can spray and we had a neutered female when I was a child and she sprayed all the time mainly in the kitchen and sometimes on the worktops. It was a bit of a nightmare for my poor parents

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
25-01-2008, 09:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by miki
I didn't know there are males who never spray if they are not neutered. But I mean how do you know that "your boy" won't spray when grown up? Is it because he comes from certain lines?
You don't! But he probably will. It's instinctive for a whole male to mark his territory.
Neutered males will spray also; my Aby never sprayed in the house but did outside. My friend's spayed brown tabby did also.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
29-01-2008, 09:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by miki

It isn't something that is or isn't in certain lines. Tates dad could never be kept in the house as he sprayed excessively but Tate doesn't spray at all. One of my friend's boys doesn't spray yethis son who has not yet mated a girl is excessive. I don't now why some do and some don't. I guess it is just done to nature.