PDA

View Full Version : Something to keep forever....

catsmum
14-01-2008, 10:03 PM
My friends husband got her a lovely gift for Christmas. it was his wedding ring finger print and the childrens finger print in silver and made into a charm for her key ring and mobile. I sat and thought how wonderful it would be to get one of my cats paw prints captured forever. I have had 4 lovely water colours done of our first 4 - Jasper, Willow, Amber and Jefferson and it is lovely to see them with Jasper and Amber no longer with us. I also have a little box with some of their fur in too, in my jewellery box. But this paw print idea has really got me.

So I am going to try to take Jefferson's paw print as he is "my boy" and have it put onto a hand bag charm. i just think to have something like that would be really special. I hand reared him and to have that paw captured in something forever that treaded you, has chased, played and bitten you and left paw prints on your heart is a nice idea,

I have found someone who has been thinking of doing animal prints and she has sent me the stuff to give it a go so I am going to try tomorrow to get jeffersons print in a mould. If I get a good paw print in the mould I will send it back to this lady and she will let me know if she can turn it into something. To have a handbag charm made in silver will cost me around the £40 mark but I think that is not bad for something so special. I can clip it onto my bag and see it every day and when I go away I can take it with me.

Am I nuts thinking this is a nice idea and what do you think of the price? My hubby isn't too sure but he knows I want something special of jefferson and I thought this was ideal. What do you think?????

Elaine
14-01-2008, 10:14 PM
I think thats a lovely idea and £40 isnt an awful lot for a special keepsake.
Might try that with the Diva but I bet she rips my face off first:lol:

alexgirl73
14-01-2008, 10:25 PM
I think that is a beautiful idea. Please let us know how it turns out.

babycakes
14-01-2008, 10:28 PM
I think it is really lovely too and may do it myself. There are model sets for childrens handprints in bookshops which are cheaper you could practice first with them I suppose

angieh
15-01-2008, 12:05 AM
I think it is a really lovely idea. Do let us all know how it turns out. I don't think £40 is very expensive for such a long lasting keepsake of Jefferson.

dandysmom
15-01-2008, 12:46 AM
That's a great idea, and very touching! Do let us know if you decide to do it.

smudgley
15-01-2008, 12:56 AM
My friend at work has a gold necklace & on it are her 2 daughters fingerprints imprinted onto oval shaped gold "things" it is one of the most beauriful things I have ever seen. It nearly brought a tear to my eye, it's just so sweet. :oops: Her hubby got it for a surprise. their girls are 3 & 5.

I think this sounds great.

do let us know how it goes.

catsmum
15-01-2008, 09:02 AM
well I'm glad you think it is a nice idea and understand where I am coming from with it :) Shall let you know how it goes :)

Grete
15-01-2008, 04:01 PM
I think it's a fantastic Idea! I was thinking the other day of trying to make a plaster cast of a cat pawprint made into a display like you can get with kids foot / hand prints hehe. I hadn't gotten much further than just thinking about it ;)

dandysmom
15-01-2008, 05:19 PM
LOL, Grete, getting them to sit still and let you take their paw for an imprint probably won't be easy! One year I decided I'd have Su-ling, my Siamese, put his paw print on my Christmas cards....well, I managed to do two before he decided this was a bad idea! And touching Leia's feet is a no-no!! Tummy, OK, feet...forget it!!!

catsmum
15-01-2008, 09:38 PM
yay!!!!!!!!!!!!! success I managed to get Jeffersons paw print no problwm. just have to wait for the stuff to harden then I can send them back to the lady who does this and she will let me know if she can do something

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y293/catsmum/jeffersonsprint2.jpg

I took 2 of his right paw as he is right pawed, he always goes into everything with right paw first and I'll let her choose the best one if she can do something - keep fingers crossed for me.

the other cats looked on as if to say"if you had tried that on me there would've been no chance" :lol: :lol: I knew Jefferson would be a superstar :p

dandysmom
15-01-2008, 09:47 PM
Great! Nice he was so co-operative; that will make a lovely memento! Pics a must-see when it comes...:-D

Grete
15-01-2008, 10:30 PM
That's awesome :) What is the material used to make the impression? I'm not sure what to try ;)

catsmum
16-01-2008, 08:46 PM
you know I have no idea what it was as there was a blue compound and a white compound and we just had to knead it together and then split in half roll flat and get his print quickly before it set, I have no idea how it will now replicate into silver - leave that to the expert :)

alexgirl73
16-01-2008, 09:15 PM
cant wait to see the finished article!!