PDA

View Full Version : should I leave him in or out

pleasehelp
11-01-2008, 04:04 PM
I am going away on 8th February for one night - leaving the morning of 8th Feb and returning about noon on 9th Feb.

I don't know what to do about Frankie. (I am still a fairly new cat owner). His routine is that we put him out in the morning and he rambles around, sometimes for an hour, sometimes for six or seven. The thing is when it gets dark he comes back and calls at the patio doors. If he cannot see anyone he walks round to the front of the house and calls at the window sill of the sitting room for us to open the window. He has his meal, plays and goes to bed for the night.

I don't know whats best - should I leave him in the house for the whole day and night when we go. Or should we leave him out. I would ask my neighbour but my neighbour is going to the same function and won't be around.

I will feel so guilty if its a bad night and he is outside for the duration. But I will feel equally guilty if he is stuck in the house for 24 or 25 hours.

please......which would be the best option.

smudgley
11-01-2008, 04:22 PM
I'd leave him in with a litter tray if it was my cat. :)

Mags
11-01-2008, 04:24 PM
Are you getting anyone to come in and feed him while you are away??:?

babycakes
11-01-2008, 05:04 PM
I leave Denis in with his litter tray, toys, dry food and I have a feeder box (with 2 trays a timer on and a ice tray in )and this opens for the times I set with his wet food in. so one opens in the night and the other side opens in the morning. It stays fresh and he is catered for.
I only do this for 2 days tops as putting him in a cattery would upset him too much (as he is off his food for the first day anyway) and I don't have anyone to come in and feed him, with him being a scardy cat, family live too far away and wouldn't trust the neighbours.

dandysmom
11-01-2008, 05:41 PM
I agree if he were mine he'd stay inside; it's a very short time, and you can enjoy the function not worrying about him being outside....

angieh
11-01-2008, 06:05 PM
Yes, I would agree with the above. It's only one night and he will be much safer if he's inside with all provisions. You won't have to worry quite so much either!

Grete
12-01-2008, 06:12 AM
Yep I agree with the above too hehe, keeping him in will be better for him - no risk of bad weather etc.

We leave ours over night just fine with a self-feeder and waterer since they are on dry food. If we are away any longer then a friend comes and checks on them for us but they would be fine for a couple of days really. I just worry ;)

Rosie
17-01-2008, 03:47 PM
The best thing you could ever do for your cat is get him a catflap, that way he can choose himself. I could never ever go back to opening and closing doors for mine.

Smudge's-mommy
17-01-2008, 04:09 PM
The best thing you could ever do for your cat is get him a catflap, that way he can choose himself. I could never ever go back to opening and closing doors for mine.

Hmm... we have a cat flap but the only reason I really like it is for convenience.
I think if your cat is used to being let in and out then they manage quite well.

Plus, we got one with a magnetic strip so only our cats could get in but the idiot (Smudge) broke it and we ended up with a third cat! :shock:

smudgley
17-01-2008, 08:30 PM
I would never have a cat flap again & I would never leave a cat flap open for my cat to use whilst away, you might have the whole neighbourhood of cats inside when you return.

Kazz
17-01-2008, 08:47 PM
I would leave him in with food and water and a litter tray or in my case (over cautious here) two litter trays and maybe some dry food too....... better to be in than out in Febuary especially.

Tom_J
17-01-2008, 09:23 PM
i would definatly leave him in for saftey and for the litter tray ;)