Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: na
11-01-2008, 04:04 PM   #1

should I leave him in or out

I am going away on 8th February for one night - leaving the morning of 8th Feb and returning about noon on 9th Feb.

I don't know what to do about Frankie. (I am still a fairly new cat owner). His routine is that we put him out in the morning and he rambles around, sometimes for an hour, sometimes for six or seven. The thing is when it gets dark he comes back and calls at the patio doors. If he cannot see anyone he walks round to the front of the house and calls at the window sill of the sitting room for us to open the window. He has his meal, plays and goes to bed for the night.

I don't know whats best - should I leave him in the house for the whole day and night when we go. Or should we leave him out. I would ask my neighbour but my neighbour is going to the same function and won't be around.

I will feel so guilty if its a bad night and he is outside for the duration. But I will feel equally guilty if he is stuck in the house for 24 or 25 hours.

please......which would be the best option.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
11-01-2008, 04:22 PM   #2

Re: should I leave him in or out

I'd leave him in with a litter tray if it was my cat.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
11-01-2008, 04:24 PM   #3

Are you getting anyone to come in and feed him while you are away??

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: feral moggy
11-01-2008, 05:04 PM   #4

I leave Denis in with his litter tray, toys, dry food and I have a feeder box (with 2 trays a timer on and a ice tray in )and this opens for the times I set with his wet food in. so one opens in the night and the other side opens in the morning. It stays fresh and he is catered for.
I only do this for 2 days tops as putting him in a cattery would upset him too much (as he is off his food for the first day anyway) and I don't have anyone to come in and feed him, with him being a scardy cat, family live too far away and wouldn't trust the neighbours.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
11-01-2008, 05:41 PM   #5

I agree if he were mine he'd stay inside; it's a very short time, and you can enjoy the function not worrying about him being outside....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
11-01-2008, 06:05 PM   #6

Yes, I would agree with the above. It's only one night and he will be much safer if he's inside with all provisions. You won't have to worry quite so much either!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Owned BY Bubbles & Fizz (fem dsh)
12-01-2008, 06:12 AM   #7

Yep I agree with the above too hehe, keeping him in will be better for him - no risk of bad weather etc.

We leave ours over night just fine with a self-feeder and waterer since they are on dry food. If we are away any longer then a friend comes and checks on them for us but they would be fine for a couple of days really. I just worry

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 cats
17-01-2008, 03:47 PM   #8

The best thing you could ever do for your cat is get him a catflap, that way he can choose himself. I could never ever go back to opening and closing doors for mine.

Cats owned: Black DLH & DSH
17-01-2008, 04:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie
The best thing you could ever do for your cat is get him a catflap, that way he can choose himself. I could never ever go back to opening and closing doors for mine.
Hmm... we have a cat flap but the only reason I really like it is for convenience.
I think if your cat is used to being let in and out then they manage quite well.

Plus, we got one with a magnetic strip so only our cats could get in but the idiot (Smudge) broke it and we ended up with a third cat!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
17-01-2008, 08:30 PM   #10

I would never have a cat flap again & I would never leave a cat flap open for my cat to use whilst away, you might have the whole neighbourhood of cats inside when you return.