PDA

View Full Version : Are some cats telepathic?

dandysmom
20-11-2007, 10:43 PM
I think sometimes that Leia can read my mind! She was on my lap earlier having a light nap when I realized it was time to go to the kitchen to put on the beans that had been soaking, and that I'd have to disturb her. She promptly left my lap before I'd even stirred a bit, and this has not been the first time she's done this. I suppose it must be some subtle body language that she's reading, but it really is odd...

Any comments?

Moli
20-11-2007, 11:00 PM
Could it just be she knows your routine,? mine know when I am going to do something, I think because I tend to do it the same time each day...

dandysmom
20-11-2007, 11:09 PM
Definitely a possibility, Moli, as I do the same; but sometimes she does it when I just suddenly need to get up and do something, like am out of cigarettes or hear something strange outside and need to go and check...

alexgirl73
20-11-2007, 11:10 PM
Sometimes I wonder. Robert says that the amount of times Broxi has suddenly got up and gone to sit at the fromt door, then 5 mins later I walk in!! I know cats have good hearing, but not that good lol!

dandysmom
20-11-2007, 11:18 PM
Wow, Alex, my late Siamese did that! Dad said about 5 minutes before I was due home he'd get up and sit in the window waiting......

Grete
21-11-2007, 01:16 AM
Heheh DM I often think that but I then go on to think cats understand routine very well, also have exceptional hearing so can hear a familiar car coming from a way away, or recognise a certain footstep approaching. Exceptional smell of course and can feel things like a miniscule muscle change in a leg signalling a position move.

Some cats have better senses than others or on the other hand, just don't care ;)

What would we do without them??? :)

dandysmom
21-11-2007, 03:18 AM
Heheh DM I often think that but I then go on to think cats understand routine very well, also have exceptional hearing so can hear a familiar car coming from a way away, or recognise a certain footstep approaching. Exceptional smell of course and can feel things like a miniscule muscle change in a leg signalling a position move.

Some cats have better senses than others or on the other hand, just don't care ;)

What would we do without them??? :)

That's what I was thinking when I mentioned body language; think that's probably it, although I have never been conscious of doing it...apparently she gets it...

Yes, what would we do without them! :-D

Elaine
21-11-2007, 09:11 AM
Bernie seems to do the exact opposite, he waits till I am about to get up to do something and then jumps up to sit on my lap:lol:
They are both always waiting for me at the door but thats coz they hear my keys jingling and my footsteps on the stairs, they give me a very warm and vocal welcome coz they know they get fed when i get home:lol:
Eva is also a very good alarm clock and always wakes me just before the alarm goes off by jumping with heavy feet onto my bladder:shock: :lol:

Jac
21-11-2007, 10:43 AM
I was told a story years ago by an X's mother. When he was in the army he didn't keep intouch very well. They never knew when he would be home on leave but the cat did.
She used to sit at the window for about 30 mins before he came home. It wasn't till she had done it a few times that they realised the link. Any other time she never sat at the window.

dandysmom
21-11-2007, 05:04 PM
Wow, that is an eerie story .......:shock:

angieh
21-11-2007, 05:06 PM
When I had my two cats, Merlin and Smudge they never sat anywhere near each other. They didn't fight, but were not friends. But if I was ill in bed, they would both come and sit with me at opposite ends of the bed and would stay there until I was feeling better. Certainly they were always at the door to greet me when I came home from work and when my OH worked away from home, that was quite special, not having to come home to an empty house. Yes, I could never be without a cat for any length of time now that I know how comforting they can be!

:smt058

Kay
21-11-2007, 11:23 PM
I think some cats can be telepathic as can other animals and humans. They say that animals and children are more likely to be as they have no pre-conceptions or barriers built up. I would find it really reassuring.

Grete
22-11-2007, 01:01 AM
I agree Kay, some cats you just can't explain the things they do rationally and I kind of like the thought that they have a 6th (or 7th, 8th) sense :)

CathyW
22-11-2007, 08:22 PM
my 2 know when some ones ill. a friend of ours came over, and to be honest he had the boys crawling all over him, i laughed n said he must of bathed in cat nip. but later we realised that it must be cause he has MS. and again when a friend of mine was over again the boys wouldnt leave her alone, she had cancer.
and just before i had my angina attacks the boys where all over me, everytime i sat down i had a cat on me. and at one time i had 3 cats on me, i do get a bit worried when they make too much fuss of me now.
so yes cats are physic

angieh
22-11-2007, 10:57 PM
This must be a similar sense that some dogs have who are trained as helpers for people with epilepsy. Evidently the dog can sense (presumably electric) changes and alerts the person to call for help before the seizure happens. Animals are so amazing and can give us so much.

I have also known cats make a bee-line (or a cat-line!) for people who don't like them - my dad was one - my cats loved him - but then he had heart problems for years, so it could have been that that drew them to him. I can see that you might get a bit worried if your 3 cats make too much of a fuss of you, boys mum, but on the other hand, they probably just love you!

:smt058 :smt058:smt058

dandysmom
22-11-2007, 11:11 PM
This must be a similar sense that some dogs have who are trained as helpers for people with epilepsy. Evidently the dog can sense (presumably electric) changes and alerts the person to call for help before the seizure happens. Animals are so amazing and can give us so much.

I have also known cats make a bee-line (or a cat-line!) for people who don't like them - my dad was one - my cats loved him - but then he had heart problems for years, so it could have been that that drew them to him. I can see that you might get a bit worried if your 3 cats make too much of a fuss of you, boys mum, but on the other hand, they probably just love you!

:smt058 :smt058:smt058

Oh yes! My Siamese did that; when my Aunt and Uncle came to visit on their way to Florida, he went directlty to my Aunt who was terrified of cats and completely ignored my Uncle, who loved them! She always made sure it was a very short visit.....:-D