PDA

View Full Version : Leia and Onyx

dandysmom
08-11-2007, 09:58 PM
As you may remember, I've been unable to coax Onyx on the porch after her unfortunate run in, well assault, actually! She surprised me very much by coming in on her own after tea, and was looking around and sniffing things. Aha, good sign, I think.:D
Well Leia had been napping in her tunnel when I went out. She wasn't now. She was standing on her hind legs peering out the glass part of the storm door glaring at Onyx, and let out an awfully loud meow! Onyx turned, saw the face glaring at her and lit out as if her tail were in fire...:(
Doesn't sound too promising, does it....(heavy sigh...)

Mags
08-11-2007, 10:01 PM
You never know Eileen, now that Onyx's scent is in the house Leia may start to become more tolerant...:D Onyx is definitely getting a lot more confident though!:D

Fran
08-11-2007, 10:02 PM
It's early days Eileen, I wouldn't give up hope. Onyx might persist at trying to come in with the temperature dropping. Fingers crossed x

Moli
08-11-2007, 10:10 PM
Hopfully they will learn to be indifferent to each other, and live quite happily that way.....

Jane
08-11-2007, 10:10 PM
Yep don't give up ;) Maybe one day ;)

Good luck

Kazz
08-11-2007, 10:12 PM
Is there anyway to segregate the porch Eileen so Onyx feels slightly safer.

But as Fran said early days and Onyx must feel much safer remember how nervous she first was you have come on one small step for some but a giant leap for woman and catkind ;).

alexgirl73
08-11-2007, 10:14 PM
I'd probably just lock the door and not let her back out lol!!! Seriously though, progress is being made Eileen. Next time you go to feed Onyx, why not take a cloth out with you and rub chin with it and get her scent on it, then take it in to the house and rub it on the walls so Leia gets used to her smell! Maybe worth a try!

Elaine
08-11-2007, 10:18 PM
Aww, please dont despair Eileen, Leia is so like the Diva in attitude but look at her and Bernie now:D Ok they aint bosom buddies but they are getting there and thats 2 years now.
Maybe you need to step up with the scenting of Onyx around the house. Is it possible to put a box with a blanket on the porch for Onyx to use?

You have come such a long way with Onyx xxx

dandysmom
08-11-2007, 10:27 PM
Done that, Alex. And I am scent-marked by both of them.....they do the chin-rubbing thing on me each very vigorously, as if to cover up the other's markings...

Kazz
08-11-2007, 10:30 PM
Done that, Alex. And I am scent-marked by both of them.....they do the chin-rubbing thing on me each very vigorously, as if to cover up the other's markings...

But they are in effect "mixing " their scents together and more importantly mixing themselves with you. :-D

alexgirl73
08-11-2007, 10:31 PM
lol Eileen, can just imagine the two of them muttering to themselves. She's MY human!!!!!

Elaine
08-11-2007, 10:33 PM
I know you are doing that Eileen but maybe step it up a little, if you can get Onyx to sleep on a blanket or something on the porch, then bring it into the house and vice versa with Leia....................
You are doing great and I dont want to sound like I am critisising Eileen coz I'm not but maybe just a little push to bring things forward a little........................

babycakes
08-11-2007, 10:34 PM
I think you underestimate the progress that you have made so far Eileen. At one time Onyx wouldn't even come near the house let alone near you or Leia. Leia is bound to be upset she was your baby and the centre of life itself. But Onyx is brave and begining to trust you, however she isn't daft and knows her place, also respecting Leia's commands. As each month passes progress is made. I told you she will be on your knee by the fire at christmas and that's another month away......

dandysmom
08-11-2007, 10:37 PM
The time Onyx came in the house, Leia made at her with the intent to commit serious mayhem! I'm not kidding, it wasn't the slow circling, bushing and wailing that precedes a cat fight, it was an out-and-out attack! Scared me silly, if you want the truth! Leia is a big 14 pound cat and Onyx is a wee little thing, may weigh 5 pounds. I wouldn't want her to be hurt. I can't really blame Leia, she's just defending her territory....

Moli
09-11-2007, 12:15 AM
I am sure Onyx would soon scarper if she was scared DM, the fact she is staying around, shows she is not that scared of Leia...

Donna
09-11-2007, 09:59 AM
I would lock Onyx in the house as I would be worried about the cold winter coming... if you "introduced" them again with maybe one cat in a carrier and then swap them over etc... and keep doing this for a few days... so they can see each other but not touch.... do you think this would work?

Anyone else have any introduction help? I am worried about Onyx outside all winter :-(

Jac
09-11-2007, 10:52 AM
Eileen don't sell yourself short! Look at the progress you have made. As others have said at one time Onyx wouldn't let you near her.
Think positive, I still say she'll be in your house for winter:-D