PDA

View Full Version : Is it fair

xxTigerxx
21-10-2007, 10:53 PM
Where we used to live we lived on a main road and we kept our cats inside as we was scared of them getting hit by a car.Then we moved when they was older and they do go out now and again but just in the back garden and then they come some ppl are saying its evil that they dont stay out all the time.I think my cats just love the comfute of the home.:lol:

babycakes
21-10-2007, 11:32 PM
My cat Denis uses a harness cos we live on a busy main road. I think it is more fair to choose to let him live rather than know that one day he will die a horrific death or sustain massive injuries on the road. He has only ever known this and is very happy. This is my opinion on my cat though. Others on the site have indoor cats and others have cat proof gardens. It's entirely a matter of choice really

Grete
21-10-2007, 11:48 PM
I think it's would be more unfair if a cat is used to being indoors all the time or at least most of the time, making it stay outside.

Cats are very adaptable and also very individual and some just aren't that bothered about going out.

Add in the fact if you are on a busy road, they just don't have the sense not to wander into it.

So really, is keeping them safe unfair or not? I don't think so.

xxTigerxx
21-10-2007, 11:48 PM
we are moving again and this time we are not a main road so i think they pefer to stay in as we have given them the choice same with bandit will do but its good to know after a hards days work your cat will be waiting for you as your dogs

Mags
21-10-2007, 11:53 PM
Will you be letting Bandit have access to outdoors as well Amanda?

xxTigerxx
21-10-2007, 11:56 PM
yes we will give the choice also we are making a very large pen sorta thing one for the dogs and one for the cats

Mags
21-10-2007, 11:58 PM
I was just thinking that a Bengal could be stolen if allowed outdoors....:?

xxTigerxx
22-10-2007, 12:00 AM
thats why we are making sorta like a pen if you get what i mean he is being mircochipped and insured tomoz that wil; be fun

Jac
22-10-2007, 12:10 PM
I was just thinking that a Bengal could be stolen if allowed outdoors....:?

Mine was:evil: and she was microchiped

yola
22-10-2007, 12:47 PM
I only let my persians out into the garden under supervision. If one does sneak out (and Darcy, who died in May was a devil for this), then I will be yelling their names all around neighbours' back gardens until found :roll:

We live on a busy road too, and that coupled with the fear of having them stolen makes me continue to keep them close to home. Even, as planned, we move to a more rural location I will still keep them confined to back garden only.

And I don't care if people say that it's not natural to keep cats in. It is what they get used to, and I'd rather prefer them indoors and safe to outdoors and hurt/killed/stolen any time!!

Moli
22-10-2007, 01:22 PM
I am exactly ther same with mine Yola, they only get out when I am at home, and then only for an hour or so....
Apart of course from Chancer, who does what he likes, when he likes!!!

yola
22-10-2007, 02:30 PM
Apart of course from Chancer, who does what he likes, when he likes!!!

My old stray velcro cat Ferdy was a bit like that. When he wanted to be off nothing could stop him. However he did prefer a warm cushion to roaming outside 99% of the time :roll:

Jac
22-10-2007, 02:54 PM
The furthest mine get to outside is looking through the window:lol:

xxTigerxx
22-10-2007, 03:04 PM
Tiger goes out in the backgarden the longest he stays outside for is about 3 hours when its very warm.We gave them a choice when we moved home and they decided to stay in allthough lucy got out and she didnt come in for 6 weeks as she was missing many people saw her and she came home on her own and hasnt been out since

Kay
23-10-2007, 03:46 PM
All 11 of mine are indoor cats and always have been. They are perfectly healthy and happy and never attempt to go outside. The fact that they are Persians was the deciding factor for three reasons:-
1) Pedigree cats, in particular, tend not to be as streetwise as moggies and therefore risk getting run over, chased by dogs etc.
2) There is a big market in stolen pedigree cats. People can falsify pedigrees to go with them so don't think the cat isn't worth the same without it's papers. Papers can and are got to go with stolen cats.
3) The long coat of the Persian is not the best type of coat to go under hedges, oily cars etc.
They are less at risk from infections, fleas, worms and of course cat fights. Which even neutered/spayed cats can get up to.
All my kittens are sold with a contract that says they must be kept as an indoor cat unless in a cat run/pen or cat proof garden.
If I was to own a moggy as I have done in the past I would keep that indoors as well. I just feel it is safer and they are not at risk of the horrid things in the world.