Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Banned

Cats owned: Ginger tom cat/Bengal kitten/Per
21-10-2007, 10:53 PM   #1

Is it fair

Where we used to live we lived on a main road and we kept our cats inside as we was scared of them getting hit by a car.Then we moved when they was older and they do go out now and again but just in the back garden and then they come some ppl are saying its evil that they dont stay out all the time.I think my cats just love the comfute of the home.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: feral moggy
21-10-2007, 11:32 PM   #2

Re: Is it fair

My cat Denis uses a harness cos we live on a busy main road. I think it is more fair to choose to let him live rather than know that one day he will die a horrific death or sustain massive injuries on the road. He has only ever known this and is very happy. This is my opinion on my cat though. Others on the site have indoor cats and others have cat proof gardens. It's entirely a matter of choice really

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Owned BY Bubbles & Fizz (fem dsh)
21-10-2007, 11:48 PM   #3

I think it's would be more unfair if a cat is used to being indoors all the time or at least most of the time, making it stay outside.

Cats are very adaptable and also very individual and some just aren't that bothered about going out.

Add in the fact if you are on a busy road, they just don't have the sense not to wander into it.

So really, is keeping them safe unfair or not? I don't think so.

Banned

21-10-2007, 11:48 PM   #4

we are moving again and this time we are not a main road so i think they pefer to stay in as we have given them the choice same with bandit will do but its good to know after a hards days work your cat will be waiting for you as your dogs

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
21-10-2007, 11:53 PM   #5

Will you be letting Bandit have access to outdoors as well Amanda?

Banned

21-10-2007, 11:56 PM   #6

yes we will give the choice also we are making a very large pen sorta thing one for the dogs and one for the cats

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
21-10-2007, 11:58 PM   #7

I was just thinking that a Bengal could be stolen if allowed outdoors....

Banned

22-10-2007, 12:00 AM   #8

thats why we are making sorta like a pen if you get what i mean he is being mircochipped and insured tomoz that wil; be fun

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
22-10-2007, 12:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mags
I was just thinking that a Bengal could be stolen if allowed outdoors....
Mine was and she was microchiped

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
22-10-2007, 12:47 PM   #10

I only let my persians out into the garden under supervision. If one does sneak out (and Darcy, who died in May was a devil for this), then I will be yelling their names all around neighbours' back gardens until found

We live on a busy road too, and that coupled with the fear of having them stolen makes me continue to keep them close to home. Even, as planned, we move to a more rural location I will still keep them confined to back garden only.

And I don't care if people say that it's not natural to keep cats in. It is what they get used to, and I'd rather prefer them indoors and safe to outdoors and hurt/killed/stolen any time!!