PDA

View Full Version : Do fireworks bother your cats??

Jane
24-09-2007, 09:01 PM
How do your kitties react to fireworks?? Just wondering seeing as it's coming up to that time of the year..think Patch was fine last year, can't remember lol

Jane

Elaine
24-09-2007, 09:03 PM
Mine are fine and tend to sleep through the whole thing.
That said, we live in the city centre and dont see too much but we hear them alot.

Erin
24-09-2007, 09:03 PM
Jerry is really scared of them,he hides in one of our bedroom draws all night bless him :( the dogs go mental to they are usually sat behind the sofa all squashed up :lol: not sure about the kittens yet,will find out this year.

Jane
24-09-2007, 09:04 PM
Jerry is really scared of them,he hides in one of our bedroom draws all night bless him :( the dogs go mental to they are usually sat behind the sofa all squashed up :lol: not sure about the kittens yet,will find out this year.

Knew I should have put an 'other' in the poll too :lol:

dandysmom
24-09-2007, 09:12 PM
We.re too far away from the Mall to be bothered; the noise can be heard, but it's not too loud. None of mine have ever reacted to it, not even the occasional firecracker here in the neighborhood. Lightning and thunder only bothered one of mine.

Mags
24-09-2007, 09:15 PM
Cassie doesn't really like them, she jumps at the slightest bang but I wouldn't say she was terrified...:?

babycakes
24-09-2007, 09:29 PM
We.re too far away from the Mall to be bothered; the noise can be heard, but it's not too loud. None of mine have ever reacted to it, not even the occasional firecracker here in the neighborhood. Lightning and thunder only bothered one of mine.

It is nice to see that fireworks are contianed to certain areas in other parts of the world. Where I used to live fireworks went off everywhere and anywhere. They were thrown at cars, people, put in letter boxes and post boxes.. it was awful. Denis was so jumpy and they went on from October - late January.
They are now set off in displays too far from our house and occasionaly in neighbours gardens. This makes Denis jumpy as he doesn't know where the noise is coming from. (the wind makes Denis jumpy though cos he sees things move and doesn't know why)

dandysmom
24-09-2007, 09:44 PM
It wasn't that way when I was growing up here; almost every family with kids had fireworks on the lawn. But there were too many injuries, so we have a pretty strict ban on individual displays: only really innocuous stuff allowed, so most people don't bother. The big National display is held on the Mall, and is spectacular! It's really safer to leave it to the pros. Poor Denis!!

babycakes
24-09-2007, 09:48 PM
Yes I agree it should be left to the pro's. I think they should be banned as we are actually celebrating terrorism, but the government must make money on them because I can't understand why else they wouldn't just ban them only for use in professional displays.

dandysmom
24-09-2007, 10:04 PM
I gather then you don't have a ban on individual use? Too bad, there are so many injuries caused by carelessness ....looking back I shudder to think of the things my Dad shot off...Roman Candles, Cones, Pinwheels, firecrackers ...used to put those under an upended empty metal garbage can and watch it shoot up into the air because of the explosion.....much duller but much safer now.....

John
24-09-2007, 10:39 PM
fireworks frighten Millie..she usualy hids under the cuboard..personaly I think they should be banned..I always think of the birds and wildlife and what it must do to them

Moli
24-09-2007, 10:49 PM
My cats do not bother at all, but one of my dogs has to be sedated for at least 3 nights...

dandysmom
24-09-2007, 10:52 PM
I remember you posting about that before, Moli. It does seem to bother dogs generally more than cats; the nurse where I used to work said her dog was so traumatized he too had to be medicated.... sad .....

Grete
25-09-2007, 06:44 AM
Bubbles hates them :( Squeak used to hide under my hubbie's desk and wet herself. Bubbles is getting more used to them now but still gets very scared.

I think they should be banned on any day other than Fireworks night - round here they seem to use them to celebrate the opening of an envelope.

dandysmom
25-09-2007, 03:46 PM
Bubbles hates them :( Squeak used to hide under my hubbie's desk and wet herself. Bubbles is getting more used to them now but still gets very scared.

I think they should be banned on any day other than Fireworks night - round here
they seem to use them to celebrate the opening of an envelope.

Not funny really, but had to laugh at your way of putting it!! :-D

kado
25-09-2007, 05:04 PM
Kay and Kado are not bothered about loud noises. Simon and Guinness are petrified about any loud noise.