Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

View Poll Results: How do your cats react to fireworks?
They ignore them completely 4 30.77%
Notice them at first but soon get used to them 5 38.46%
Don't really like them 2 15.38%
Hate them and are terrified 2 15.38%
All of my cats react differently 0 0%
I havn't had them long enough yet 0 0%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: A very pretty kitty!
24-09-2007, 09:01 PM   #1

Do fireworks bother your cats??

How do your kitties react to fireworks?? Just wondering seeing as it's coming up to that time of the year..think Patch was fine last year, can't remember lol

Jane

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
24-09-2007, 09:03 PM   #2

Re: Do fireworks bother your cats??

Mine are fine and tend to sleep through the whole thing.
That said, we live in the city centre and dont see too much but we hear them alot.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggy
24-09-2007, 09:03 PM   #3

Jerry is really scared of them,he hides in one of our bedroom draws all night bless him the dogs go mental to they are usually sat behind the sofa all squashed up not sure about the kittens yet,will find out this year.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: A very pretty kitty!
24-09-2007, 09:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin
Jerry is really scared of them,he hides in one of our bedroom draws all night bless him the dogs go mental to they are usually sat behind the sofa all squashed up not sure about the kittens yet,will find out this year.
Knew I should have put an 'other' in the poll too

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
24-09-2007, 09:12 PM   #5

We.re too far away from the Mall to be bothered; the noise can be heard, but it's not too loud. None of mine have ever reacted to it, not even the occasional firecracker here in the neighborhood. Lightning and thunder only bothered one of mine.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
24-09-2007, 09:15 PM   #6

Cassie doesn't really like them, she jumps at the slightest bang but I wouldn't say she was terrified...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: feral moggy
24-09-2007, 09:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
We.re too far away from the Mall to be bothered; the noise can be heard, but it's not too loud. None of mine have ever reacted to it, not even the occasional firecracker here in the neighborhood. Lightning and thunder only bothered one of mine.
It is nice to see that fireworks are contianed to certain areas in other parts of the world. Where I used to live fireworks went off everywhere and anywhere. They were thrown at cars, people, put in letter boxes and post boxes.. it was awful. Denis was so jumpy and they went on from October - late January.
They are now set off in displays too far from our house and occasionaly in neighbours gardens. This makes Denis jumpy as he doesn't know where the noise is coming from. (the wind makes Denis jumpy though cos he sees things move and doesn't know why)

Catsey Veteran

24-09-2007, 09:44 PM   #8

It wasn't that way when I was growing up here; almost every family with kids had fireworks on the lawn. But there were too many injuries, so we have a pretty strict ban on individual displays: only really innocuous stuff allowed, so most people don't bother. The big National display is held on the Mall, and is spectacular! It's really safer to leave it to the pros. Poor Denis!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: feral moggy
24-09-2007, 09:48 PM   #9

Yes I agree it should be left to the pro's. I think they should be banned as we are actually celebrating terrorism, but the government must make money on them because I can't understand why else they wouldn't just ban them only for use in professional displays.

Catsey Veteran

24-09-2007, 10:04 PM   #10

I gather then you don't have a ban on individual use? Too bad, there are so many injuries caused by carelessness ....looking back I shudder to think of the things my Dad shot off...Roman Candles, Cones, Pinwheels, firecrackers ...used to put those under an upended empty metal garbage can and watch it shoot up into the air because of the explosion.....much duller but much safer now.....