PDA

View Full Version : Donna....................

charliebubs
22-08-2007, 02:56 PM
How are things with Chloe and Misty now???

Any accidents???

I hope things are going well for you all :D

Donna
22-08-2007, 03:05 PM
Still stuck in a bad situation which I just cant get my head round how to sort out!!

Misty now uses both trays and always misses when she uses Chloe's so it goes everywhere (she doesnt know how to squat down low)!!

Chloe doesnt seem to have had further accidents so I have changed from cleaning up Chloes to cleaning up Mistys pee!!!

Tried to get Misty to go outside more to maybe remove ALL litter trays to solve the problem, but she still cant work out the cat flap so thats a no go!!! Tied open the cat flap but that just invites all the neighbourhood cats into my house so I cant do that!

Chloe seems a bit happier as there is another tray if she has to use it (although she doesnt want to now that Misty is using two trays), and she is going outside as the weather is not too wet.

She is eating a little bit more as well as I have changed their food over. And also using Rescue Remedy drops on her dinner.

If anyone has a miracle cure to the cat tray or cat flap problem then would be happy to hear it!!!

Thanks for asking Charlie!!

Mags
22-08-2007, 03:13 PM
Donna, have you tried putting Misty outside just before she is due to be fed, then tap/rattle her food bowl inside and hopefully she will be hungry enough to use the flap to get back in.

I assume she has seen Chloe use the flap?

charliebubs
22-08-2007, 03:18 PM
I wish I did have a miracle cure Donna :( I was hoping that you'd have better news :(

At least Chloe is eating more and seems a bit happier. It's a big plus that she isn't weeing in your dining room any more too :)

Is there any way that you could replace the second tray for a hooded one to stop Misty making a mess? Or even add a third one, which is hooded?

I thought Misty had worked out how to use the flap? or was that just a one off!? Maybe if you push her through it both ways a few times she will get the hang of it?? (although I'm a fine one to talk when it comes to cat flaps - mine is propped open with a broom handle :roll: but then I don't have the worry of other cats coming in)

Hmmmmm - Hilary usually has some good ideas - where are you DM!?!?!?

Donna
22-08-2007, 03:18 PM
Donna, have you tried putting Misty outside just before she is due to be fed, then tap/rattle her food bowl inside and hopefully she will be hungry enough to use the flap to get back in.

I assume she has seen Chloe use the flap?

Yes and Yes Mags!!!!!

I have tried leaving her outside for hours and hours in the hope she will get fed up and come in.

I have tried putting her outside and tempting her in with dinner.

I have tried pushing her fat butt through the hole through the flap too!!!!

She sees Chloe do it all the time but sits and just looks at the flap :roll:

She has managed to go out the flap a few times, and also uses the hooded litter tray with a flap, but she uses her paw to open the flap - this is where she goes wrong, as the magnet needs to activate the flap to open and that is on her collar :roll:

Chloe pushes the flap with her nose and pushes it at the bottom near the catch so the magnet is activated....

Help!!!!

Mags
22-08-2007, 03:23 PM
Oh!..that Misty is an awkward one, isn't she!! :lol:

charliebubs
22-08-2007, 03:24 PM
Donna, could you take the magnet out of the cat flap??? I know that it would mean that other cats could get in, but it might solve your short term problems.

I know that they come out, as I took the magnet out of the one in my last house.

Donna
22-08-2007, 03:26 PM
I wish I did have a miracle cure Donna :( I was hoping that you'd have better news :(

At least Chloe is eating more and seems a bit happier. It's a big plus that she isn't weeing in your dining room any more too :)

Is there any way that you could replace the second tray for a hooded one to stop Misty making a mess? Or even add a third one, which is hooded?

I thought Misty had worked out how to use the flap? or was that just a one off!? Maybe if you push her through it both ways a few times she will get the hang of it?? (although I'm a fine one to talk when it comes to cat flaps - mine is propped open with a broom handle :roll: but then I don't have the worry of other cats coming in)

Hmmmmm - Hilary usually has some good ideas - where are you DM!?!?!?

I think Chloe didnt like the other tray because it WAS a hooded tray. Think it contains the smell more which made it worse for her to go in. And i really dont want three litter trays!!! It is all getting a bit silly with more trays all over the place!!

She did go out the flap a few times as the magnet is only needed to get in..... she can get out, but wont go out as she knows she is then stuck outside!!

I really dont think there is a solution to my problem :cry:

Sweet
22-08-2007, 03:26 PM
Sending a big ((((((hug)))))).

My Jac does not go out at all except a quick lookie on the patio every once in a while, shes good with her tray but does sometimes miss, so I understand how frustrating this is.

I have no cat flaps, normally home with doors open, so no experience on those. x

Donna
22-08-2007, 03:28 PM
Donna, could you take the magnet out of the cat flap??? I know that it would mean that other cats could get in, but it might solve your short term problems.

I know that they come out, as I took the magnet out of the one in my last house.

Yes, have tried that option too, as I sellotape the magnet catch down so it is immobilised. But Misty still doesnt realise she can get in and sits looking at me through the flap :roll: She really is short on brains!!!

Worry about all the other cats coming in too as there are HUNDREDS around here!

charliebubs
22-08-2007, 03:32 PM
Yes, have tried that option too, as I sellotape the magnet catch down so it is immobilised. But Misty still doesnt realise she can get in and sits looking at me through the flap :roll: She really is short on brains!!!

Worry about all the other cats coming in too as there are HUNDREDS around here!

Oh dear.

I suppose if Misty has had a bad experience trying to get in (maybe she ran for the flap once and it didn't open because the magnet wasn't in the right place and she banged her face/head (or something like that!!)) it will have put her off trying again.

It's a learned behaviour, like with children. If you could keep the magnet immobilised and teach her that it's okay and safe for her to come in through the flap, she might learn that it's not painful/difficult and start doing it.

It's worth a try?!

As for Chloe - how about a hooded tray but without the flap? Then it wouldn't contain the smell of Misty so much and put her off going in there. Or get a new hooded tray that doesn't smell at all - so she has no excuse!?

Donna
22-08-2007, 03:38 PM
OK Charlie.... will try the cat flap with no magnet again.... will put her outside and push her through - she is a big cat compared to Chloe so hope its not the size of the flap that is a problem for her - although she does go out of it ok.

So ladies... if the magnet is immobilised then the house is open to ALL cats.... should I let that happen day or night, or just daytime???

charliebubs
22-08-2007, 03:43 PM
I would say - just whilst you are at home to supervise (at least initially). If they see another cat coming into their home whilst you're not there that might stress them both out and cause more problems :(

If Misty can get the hang of coming into the house through the catflap without any problems, then in a few days you could put the magnet back on and hopefully she'll still come in. Fingers crossed!! :)

Mags
22-08-2007, 03:43 PM
OK Charlie.... will try the cat flap with no magnet again.... will put her outside and push her through - she is a big cat compared to Chloe so hope its not the size of the flap that is a problem for her - although she does go out of it ok.

So ladies... if the magnet is immobilised then the house is open to ALL cats.... should I let that happen day or night, or just daytime???
I would definitley close it at night Donna...

Donna
22-08-2007, 03:51 PM
Just one more question....

If it is closed at night, then Chloe hasnt got access to outside of an evening so cannot get rid of the litter trays at all still....

which was the aim!

So how would that work with my long term plans?

Mags
22-08-2007, 03:54 PM
Ah.. that's a bit awkward then:? Cassie has access outdoors during the day but I always lock her in at night......and she has a litter tray for that purpose.:?

We'll have to rethink again!!;)

Donna
22-08-2007, 03:55 PM
I really cant work out this problem..... it is too complicated!!!!

Mags
22-08-2007, 03:59 PM
I take it your cat flap is in your back door Donna? Why not leave the flap unlocked so that Chloe can go out if she needs to but keep your kitchen door shut at night so that they both stay in the kitchen? Obviously you would need to get Misty trained to use the flap both ways if you wanted to get rid of the litter trays....

Donna
22-08-2007, 04:05 PM
I take it your cat flap is in your back door Donna? Why not leave the flap unlocked so that Chloe can go out if she needs to but keep your kitchen door shut at night so that they both stay in the kitchen? Obviously you would need to get Misty trained to use the flap both ways if you wanted to get rid of the litter trays....

Flap is in a hole in the wall in the kitchen which in itself might be the problem with Misty.

It is about one and a half feet from front to end, so its more like a tunnel than a flap :roll: Its a long way to the other side when you in a tiny hole (but Chloe manages fine and so do all the local cats).

I could leave them in the kitchen but worry about them both being in a small room together all night with no escape from each other!!

But could give that a go - flap open and not magnetic. Cats in kitchen area with litter trays and food/water overnight.

What if another cat got in and terrorised them all night?? They in a small room with the strange cat :shock:

Dont mean to keep putting obstacles in the way, but just thinking aloud!

charliebubs
22-08-2007, 04:37 PM
Just one more question....

If it is closed at night, then Chloe hasnt got access to outside of an evening so cannot get rid of the litter trays at all still....

which was the aim!

So how would that work with my long term plans?

But Chloe can get in and out with the magnet being on!?!?! It's only Misty that can't...............isn't it!?!?

Why do you need to get rid of the litter trays altogether? Personally, I think that your problems with Chloe peeing on the carpet are likely to re-occur if you get rid of the litter trays. Could you not keep them??

Donna
22-08-2007, 04:41 PM
I just thought that if I got rid of the litter trays all together it would solve the problems of:

1) Chloe not liking the smell of Misty in the litter trays and using the floor if she doesnt want to go out
2) Misty overshooting the litter tray when she uses Chloes cos she cant squat down
3) Cost of litter (not much but all helps)
4) The constant mess and smell in the house (do change the trays a lot but there is always litter everywhere and misty's pee is so strong and her poops make your eyes water).

lol

charliebubs
22-08-2007, 04:43 PM
Okay - I admit defeat!!!! lol

I don't know what else to suggest, Donna!!!!

I'm sorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry!!!!!!!!! :cry: :cry:

Donna
22-08-2007, 04:45 PM
I have got into a complete mess over the trays and wont remove them until they both are going in and out.....

will update Catsey at any time that this is achieved!!!! Whatever century that might be!!

Elaine
22-08-2007, 07:24 PM
Donna, I am sorry you are still no nearer a solution and I dont have any answers but here's a thought......
Have you thought about contacting Wizz?
http://www.wizz-catz.co.uk/contactus.html
You could contact her initially and copy and paste whats been suggested and tried, to save going over any old ground, in an e-mail to her.
She is very helpful, supportive and generally nice to talk to about cat behaviour issues.
Wish you every success xxx

Donna
23-08-2007, 08:24 AM
I did talk to her before when this problem was getting me down before; she suggested a litter tray each, which I have now done...

Not sure if she would have any suggestions about getting one stooopid cat to learn how to use a catflap though!!!!!

I will leave this isssue - things have improved slightly if Chloe has stopped peeing on the dining room carpet, so not a total loss!!

In future I will only ever have ONE CAT at a time!!!

dinahsmum
23-08-2007, 08:54 AM
Oh Donna - sorry this is continuing.
I don't think I can add anything to the suggestions put forward.
It's easy to keep saying 'try this, try this' when you're not in the middle of the problem. :roll:
I've tried to work out what the essential nub of this convoluted problem is - isn't easy! - and I think it is Misty's non use of the cat-flap. Is that right? If so, I think maybe that's where you should concentrate. How can you get Misty to accept and use it? What will attract her? Food? Catnip? Play? You? Can you be patient enough to commit say half an hour a day towards getting her to use it? Maybe get one of the children to help? Just position yourselves one one one side of the wall, one on the other and push her (gently) in and out. Reward with treats/cuddles. Keep doing for as many days as it takes?
Maybe you could contact Staywell (or whoever the manufacturers are) and ask if they have any top tips for flap-averse cats? Misty can't be the only one.

More good luck wishes - and well done for not giving up on Misty

charliebubs
23-08-2007, 02:22 PM
Good suggestion Hilary - I knew you'd come up with something ;)

Good luck with whatever you try Donna - and you know where we are if you need us :)

Donna
23-08-2007, 03:17 PM
Yes DM!!

I think the litter tray/chloe peeing problem has gone for the time being as I am managing to keep on top of the two trays (albeit a bit of mess from Misty - but better than Chloe pee on carpet).

I will let the cats get used to this arrangement for a bit, whilst I am "training" Misty.

I dont think half an hour a day is gonna work, as Misty at the moment is the most unco-operative cat there is!! She knows when we want her and runs/hides/avoids us all the time when we are trying to get her, so I am setting an amount timescale.

I am hoping to get Misty to go in/out catflap (with the aid of my hand on her large backside) TWICE a day to start with.

She has gone out once so far today with my "encouragement" and has gone in twice!!! It takes a lot though as she gets halfway in the hole and then stops dead. She then tries to reverse but I am not letting her!!!

I know she will eventually start to run away from me if I am in the garden as she will associate me as the lady who shoves her in a hole, so will see how it goes... (I am offering her food as the incentive if she comes through).

Wish me luck!

charliebubs
23-08-2007, 03:29 PM
Good luck!!!!!!

If you keep with the food treats...............even though you might be the lady who puts her through the hole...........the food might win her round!! ;)

Donna
23-08-2007, 04:51 PM
I GIVE UP!!!!

One hour of having the cat flap magnet off, with two cats, three teenagers and myself in the house - I go out into the kitchen to find a strange cat stuffing its face with all my cats' dinners.....

I THINK I WILL WELL AND TRULY GIVE UP LADIES..

dandysmom
23-08-2007, 10:57 PM
That had to be the last straw, Donna..so sorry

Fran
23-08-2007, 11:06 PM
Oh no, what a really frustrating situation for you Donna :(

I really don't know what else to suggest :?

Mags
23-08-2007, 11:07 PM
So sorry Donna, I've run out of ideas now...:(

dandysmom
23-08-2007, 11:36 PM
Just a lot of (((hugs))) now, no suggestions ..:(

dinahsmum
24-08-2007, 01:15 PM
Oh Donna! :?
Keep a squirty bottle full of water and/or a noisy saucepan & wooden spoon on the surface so you can pick it up as soon as you step into the kitchen. If you find an intruder - let him have it! :shock: Full on, tons of water, lots of noise, shout at it, psss psss psss at it, clap your hands, slam the door etc etc. I'd have no problems with ayone doing any of the above to my cats (as long as they didn't scare it witless into the traffic etc) .... it should shoo them off in short order. To quote Corporal Jones - They don't like it up 'em :)

Donna
24-08-2007, 01:16 PM
I am giving up with the catflap. It will stay on magnet for Chloe 24/7 as Misty now wont come near me, and refuses to come near the back of the house when I want her in, as she thinks I am gonna shove her through the flap.

I will stick with how it was, but with two trays, and clear up accidents as they happen.