PDA

View Full Version : What does this mean?

sarah5
14-08-2007, 03:37 PM
Thomas is 8 and has always been our only cat until 3 weeks ago when we braved getting Scrabble who is 5 months. They get on very well, which is a small miracle (I was expecting Thomas to be a nightmare!), they sleep eat and play together which is FAB.

When they are sleeping, Thomas often licks Scrabble - is he "washing" him? I assume this is an affectionate thing? But then minutes after washing him he will playfully put his jaws around Scrabbles back.. I say playfully because it is never hard and Scrabble doesn't even open his eyes from his sleep!

But what is that behaviour all about? Is he washing Scrabble in an affectionate way, then biting (gently) to remind him who is boss or something????

dinahsmum
14-08-2007, 03:44 PM
Probably.
I think the theory is that the 'washer' is asserting their authority and the 'washee' is accepting that. You may find that, as Scrabble grows, he will be the 'washer' sometimes.
My boys are the same age, and arrived at the same time, and they are fairly evenly balanced in who washes who, taking it in turns. It still deteriorates into a scrap sometimes though. :)

Fran
14-08-2007, 04:58 PM
My mummy cat does exactly the same thing with her babies...I've sort of thought it's a dominance thing, could be wrong. But it could be Thomas' way of telling Scrabble in a nice way who the boss is ;)

sarah5
14-08-2007, 07:57 PM
Aww that's quite cute really! I have learnt a lot since having Scrabble and since joining Catsey thanks everyone I find it all very interesting :D

Erin
14-08-2007, 08:00 PM
Jerry used to do this when ours were new arrivals :) They both do it to him now untill he tells them off :roll: :lol:

Donna
14-08-2007, 09:09 PM
So the cat washer is trying to dominate the washee?? LOL. Cats seem to do things back to front!

I would of thought it the other way round, as in rabbits, the dominant one is the one who demands to be washed by his mate!!!!

dandysmom
14-08-2007, 10:11 PM
I've been on here for quite a while and am still learning things I didn't know! And I've had cats since childhood! I love the way everyone is willing to share their advice.......

Fran
14-08-2007, 10:16 PM
What worries me is Bliss and Mildred 'groom' me :? Where does that put me in their pecking order!!!! :shock: :roll:

mable1718
14-08-2007, 10:20 PM
i hope peoples advice has helped you sarah

sarah5
15-08-2007, 09:03 AM
i hope peoples advice has helped you sarah

Oh yes, I love this forum, everyone is so helpful I am learning SO much about my lovely cats it's fantastic.

Thanks again everyone :-D