Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Fabulous moggies!
14-08-2007, 03:37 PM   #1

What does this mean?

Thomas is 8 and has always been our only cat until 3 weeks ago when we braved getting Scrabble who is 5 months. They get on very well, which is a small miracle (I was expecting Thomas to be a nightmare!), they sleep eat and play together which is FAB.

When they are sleeping, Thomas often licks Scrabble - is he "washing" him? I assume this is an affectionate thing? But then minutes after washing him he will playfully put his jaws around Scrabbles back.. I say playfully because it is never hard and Scrabble doesn't even open his eyes from his sleep!

But what is that behaviour all about? Is he washing Scrabble in an affectionate way, then biting (gently) to remind him who is boss or something????

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
14-08-2007, 03:44 PM   #2

Re: What does this mean?

Probably.
I think the theory is that the 'washer' is asserting their authority and the 'washee' is accepting that. You may find that, as Scrabble grows, he will be the 'washer' sometimes.
My boys are the same age, and arrived at the same time, and they are fairly evenly balanced in who washes who, taking it in turns. It still deteriorates into a scrap sometimes though.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
14-08-2007, 04:58 PM   #3

My mummy cat does exactly the same thing with her babies...I've sort of thought it's a dominance thing, could be wrong. But it could be Thomas' way of telling Scrabble in a nice way who the boss is

Catsey Senior

14-08-2007, 07:57 PM   #4

Aww that's quite cute really! I have learnt a lot since having Scrabble and since joining Catsey thanks everyone I find it all very interesting

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggy
14-08-2007, 08:00 PM   #5

Jerry used to do this when ours were new arrivals They both do it to him now untill he tells them off

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
14-08-2007, 09:09 PM   #6

So the cat washer is trying to dominate the washee?? LOL. Cats seem to do things back to front!

I would of thought it the other way round, as in rabbits, the dominant one is the one who demands to be washed by his mate!!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
14-08-2007, 10:11 PM   #7

I've been on here for quite a while and am still learning things I didn't know! And I've had cats since childhood! I love the way everyone is willing to share their advice.......

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
14-08-2007, 10:16 PM   #8

What worries me is Bliss and Mildred 'groom' me Where does that put me in their pecking order!!!!

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: all types
14-08-2007, 10:20 PM   #9

i hope peoples advice has helped you sarah

Catsey Senior

15-08-2007, 09:03 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mable1718
i hope peoples advice has helped you sarah
Oh yes, I love this forum, everyone is so helpful I am learning SO much about my lovely cats it's fantastic.

Thanks again everyone