PDA

View Full Version : Is her diet suitable?

Whiley
15-07-2007, 01:03 PM
I have a few worries about my housemates cat, she is gorgeous and loving, but i am wandering if her diet is suitable or not.

She is 10 years old i believe, seems quite flabby, she lives out in our conservatory and has free roam of the area, so she never really gets any absolute 'warmth' as such as she doesnt come in the house.

A few years ago she had an operation, an abortion i believe.

She is currently on Go-Cat adult. Should she be on a more suitable diet, and what can people reccomend? Should she be on senior, or a kidney care diet or something?

Fran
15-07-2007, 01:44 PM
I don't think Go-cat is one of the best diets around but that's just my personal opinion. However, if she has been happily been eating this for years and is happy with it, then maybe continue to feed it but I'd also be inclined to feed some wet food in her diet too, something like Whiskers or Felix or indeed tins of supermarket own brand. You could look to changer her to a diet for senior cats but you may find these sorts of diets a little on the expensive side? and in over 20 years of cat ownership I have never fed a senior diet to any of my cats and have had cats live to 17 / 18 years old.

Whiley
15-07-2007, 01:50 PM
How many times a day should she be fed? And what sort of portions also. I buy in tinned cat food for my rats so i can easily feed her from my stocks on wet food.

Mags
15-07-2007, 01:54 PM
My cat Cassie, who is 10 yrs old, is fed on Whiskas tinned and she has about two thirds of a tin a day spread over two meals............. supplemented by a few biscuits at bedtime..

Whiley
15-07-2007, 01:56 PM
I believe she gets 1-2 [depending on wether he forgets to feed her or not] meals a day of go-cat. i'd say no more than a cupful each time. I'll make a habit of inviting her into my rat room for cat food in the evenings.

The tough bit is improving her diet without her owner becoming offended. Nevermind, as long as shes ok i'm happy!

Mags
15-07-2007, 01:59 PM
Does she have access to the garden or is she just kept in the conservatory?:?

Whiley
15-07-2007, 02:00 PM
We have the door between conservatory and garden open at all times. its not been closed since she moved in!

Mags
15-07-2007, 02:03 PM
We have the door between conservatory and garden open at all times. its not been closed since she moved in!
In that case she may ocassionally dine out on a mouse!! ;):lol:

Whiley
15-07-2007, 02:04 PM
I doubt it! Apparently shes never hunted, and shes a rubbish prowler, shes frightened of my fancy rats. She sits in their room watching them sometimes but hasnt ever tried anything on! Shes more interested in their fresh meat dinners!

Fran
15-07-2007, 02:05 PM
How many times a day should she be fed? And what sort of portions also. I buy in tinned cat food for my rats so i can easily feed her from my stocks on wet food.

My cats have access to dried food at all times but are fed wet food twice a day :D

Mags
15-07-2007, 02:06 PM
We have a section on Catsey for other pets and animals Sarah, maybe you could post some pics of your rats sometime!;)

Whiley
15-07-2007, 02:11 PM
Of course! I'll get onto that!

alexgirl73
15-07-2007, 03:10 PM
oooh yes please!!! I have kept rats for 15 years (though don't have any at the moment) love the little darlings. There are one or two more members who love them too.

dandysmom
15-07-2007, 04:10 PM
About switching to a senior diet, I second Fran that it's probably not necessary. My oldest ones died at 19 1/2 and 20, and were never on senior food. Mine get 2 3 oz. tins of moist daily and about a cupful of dry. Does she have access to fresh water?

Whiley
15-07-2007, 05:03 PM
Yes constant access to fresh water, she tends to eat her biscuits quite quickly in one go, but i'll make a point of feeding her wet food each evening when my rats get their fresh food.

Kim
16-07-2007, 10:53 PM
I don't think Go Cat is the best food either. I would switch her to something like royal canin, James Wellbeloved, etc and as others have suggested some wet food such as whiskas or felix.

Shame that she is confined to the conservatory. Having said that thogh, mine spend a lot of the time in there but do have the run of the house.

Whiley
17-07-2007, 07:57 AM
Shes not confined to the conservatory completely, she is queen of the entire neighbourhood! :D

I'll try to switch her, i'll over her owner the chance for me to get it when i order my own pet food online, i'm sure it would work out cheaper.