Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Tabby and Moggie
15-07-2007, 01:03 PM   #1

Is her diet suitable?

I have a few worries about my housemates cat, she is gorgeous and loving, but i am wandering if her diet is suitable or not.

She is 10 years old i believe, seems quite flabby, she lives out in our conservatory and has free roam of the area, so she never really gets any absolute 'warmth' as such as she doesnt come in the house.

A few years ago she had an operation, an abortion i believe.

She is currently on Go-Cat adult. Should she be on a more suitable diet, and what can people reccomend? Should she be on senior, or a kidney care diet or something?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
15-07-2007, 01:44 PM   #2

Re: Is her diet suitable?

I don't think Go-cat is one of the best diets around but that's just my personal opinion. However, if she has been happily been eating this for years and is happy with it, then maybe continue to feed it but I'd also be inclined to feed some wet food in her diet too, something like Whiskers or Felix or indeed tins of supermarket own brand. You could look to changer her to a diet for senior cats but you may find these sorts of diets a little on the expensive side? and in over 20 years of cat ownership I have never fed a senior diet to any of my cats and have had cats live to 17 / 18 years old.

Catsey Junior

15-07-2007, 01:50 PM   #3

How many times a day should she be fed? And what sort of portions also. I buy in tinned cat food for my rats so i can easily feed her from my stocks on wet food.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
15-07-2007, 01:54 PM   #4

My cat Cassie, who is 10 yrs old, is fed on Whiskas tinned and she has about two thirds of a tin a day spread over two meals............. supplemented by a few biscuits at bedtime..

Catsey Junior

15-07-2007, 01:56 PM   #5

I believe she gets 1-2 [depending on wether he forgets to feed her or not] meals a day of go-cat. i'd say no more than a cupful each time. I'll make a habit of inviting her into my rat room for cat food in the evenings.

The tough bit is improving her diet without her owner becoming offended. Nevermind, as long as shes ok i'm happy!

Global Moderator

15-07-2007, 01:59 PM   #6

Does she have access to the garden or is she just kept in the conservatory?

Catsey Junior

15-07-2007, 02:00 PM   #7

We have the door between conservatory and garden open at all times. its not been closed since she moved in!

Global Moderator

15-07-2007, 02:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiley
We have the door between conservatory and garden open at all times. its not been closed since she moved in!
In that case she may ocassionally dine out on a mouse!!

Catsey Junior

15-07-2007, 02:04 PM   #9

I doubt it! Apparently shes never hunted, and shes a rubbish prowler, shes frightened of my fancy rats. She sits in their room watching them sometimes but hasnt ever tried anything on! Shes more interested in their fresh meat dinners!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
15-07-2007, 02:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiley
How many times a day should she be fed? And what sort of portions also. I buy in tinned cat food for my rats so i can easily feed her from my stocks on wet food.

My cats have access to dried food at all times but are fed wet food twice a day