PDA

View Full Version : Jet will not come in

andrew021
06-06-2007, 03:48 PM
Now the good weather is here Jet gets out in the morning at 7.30, I call her at 8.15 to come in but there is no sign of her.

Yesterday morning she came dandering back at 9.15 and kept me late for work. This morning the same thing but I left housekeys with a neighbour to let her in, neighbour txt to say she eventually turned up at 10.00.

Its very unlike her as she loves her food in the mornings. Maybe she has found someone else to feed her but I think she goes into neighbours gardens where there are birds being fed.

In the evenings she dosent venture too far and there is never a problem getting her in.

Dont want to leave her out all day when at work but now it seems to be the only option, dont want a cat flap.

dinahsmum
06-06-2007, 03:56 PM
mmm, it is a problem on these beautiful long days, complete with hunting opportunities :roll:
Are you a good sleeper/do you find it easy to drop back off? If so I'd suggest setting your alarm for 5am, letting Jet out then and then going straight back to complete your sleep ... or take a cup of tea back to bed and just enjoy relaxing without actually sleeping.
That way she should be good and hungry and ready to come in for breakfast at 8am.
Our summer is precious and short - seems a shame not to let Jet enjoy it as best she can

dandysmom
06-06-2007, 04:29 PM
DM's suggestion sounds worth trying! I'd worry at her being outside all day.....

Jac
06-06-2007, 05:14 PM
Sounds like a good idea to me as well.

Another suggestion, how would your neighbour feel about letting her back in, in the mornings? Would you be happy about that? Only problem there is being dependant on someone else.
Or how about feeding her earlier at night. Then she would be really hungry for breakfast. There again could work the opposite, she would go hunting.
Last option I can think of is fitting a cat flap. Sorry no other suggestions.

Fran
06-06-2007, 05:25 PM
DM is right, cats so love the summer and it's so short it's a shame to not let them enjoy it whilst it's here. Why wouldn't you have a cat flap? At least that way you could lock it so that Jet could get in but not back out again??

Sweet
06-06-2007, 06:33 PM
Mine are in and out like yo yo's at the mo, last night, Mau Mau and Domino stayed out all night, one night last week all 6 stayed out only Jac in.

Its all this lovely weather, they love it outside x

dandysmom
06-06-2007, 07:49 PM
Are you uneasy at letting her out all day because of dangerous road traffic and/or unsupervised roaming dogs?

mable1718
06-06-2007, 09:21 PM
when it is lovely weather they love it outside probably sunbathing somewhere or asleep under a tree

MrsH
06-06-2007, 10:08 PM
I'm not sure why you don't want a cat flap. Unless Jet has been kept as an indoors only cat, she's going to want to explore a bit and enjoy the outside when she can. Are you concerned about other cats getting in via a flap? Some cat flaps operate by a device in the cat's collar and only allow your own cat in and out.

Kazz
06-06-2007, 10:18 PM
How about a cat flap into a shed or porch if you do not want one with access directly into the house.

andrew021
07-06-2007, 09:39 AM
Thanks for the ideas. I dont want a cat flap as I intend to sell the house soon and dont think new owner would want a catflap.

Was thinking of getting up earlier and letting her out or maybe letting her out all night, she does love her sleep though.

Rosie
07-06-2007, 02:53 PM
Alfie is 1 year old now and is never in! He is like a small child he runs in for his breakfast and tea and then straight out again. Rosie the older cat loves being out in this weather too. I have a cat flap and could not imagine life without it, nor could the cats!

Emm
08-06-2007, 09:44 AM
During the summer Lao hardly ever comes in - he will come in gulp down food and the off he goes on his adventures. We call him our Winter cat :D so long as he is happy - I have had to learn to live with it

Animagus
08-06-2007, 11:12 AM
My 2 only get out in the evening after i get back from work.... they dont go far... I leave the livingroom or bedroom window open so they can get in and out as they like then after a few hours if I catch them in at the same time thats it goodnight boys lol..... if its raining then forget it lol