PDA

View Full Version : Advice on new kitten needed please

Claire m
28-04-2007, 06:13 PM
Hey everyone hope your all ok, i have a bit of a dilema, i aquired a new kitten today, but ebony is not taking to kindly to him, she has hissed and spit and even growled a the wee little mite and attacked me as well, now i have kitty in a cage but ebony will not come out from under the bed what shall i do. oh yes will post some pics tomorrow.

thanks for any advice in advance, oh yes ebony is not a very socialable at all.

smudgley
28-04-2007, 06:54 PM
If she's generally not sociable with other cats, then maybe getting another one was not the right thing to do?

However - most cats get upset at the thought of a new family member & hopefully they will be friends soon.
A cage is a good way to introduce them, it allows them to see each other, but the baby will feel safe too. :cool:

alexgirl73
28-04-2007, 07:04 PM
they should get there eventually. take a towel and rub it over the kitten, then do the same to ebony (with the same towel), do this a few times to get their scent on each other.I did this with Broxi when I first got Cooper, worked a treat! then leave the towel with ebony to sniff! good luck!

Claire m
28-04-2007, 07:06 PM
Thanks smudgly, the thing with ebony she was taken away from her mum to soon the vet thought she was only 4-5 weeks old when we got her so she never learnt how to interact, she does want to meet people but she does not seem to have the confidence and she has never even met another animal. I am hoping that in time they will become friends because i belive ebony will benifit from it.xxxxx

Claire m
28-04-2007, 07:16 PM
well just done the towel thing so fingers crossed for that.xxxx

smudgley
28-04-2007, 07:17 PM
I'm sure they will be ok, it does take time though. No cat wants to hurt a baby.. it's just difficult for them to accept a new family member at first.

Tell us about your new baby?

Claire m
28-04-2007, 07:26 PM
Ahh well he's name is Geoge, he's a tabby and very lively, he's 8 weeks old been microchipped by the pet shop been wormed and de-fleed i will post some pics as soon as i upload them. :-D

dinahsmum
29-04-2007, 12:28 PM
I'm sure they'll sort themselves out in no time. It'll be a bit of a shock for Ebony for a little while and the kitten will need a day or two to come round!

Claire m
29-04-2007, 04:08 PM
Hey every one, well things have taken a turn for the worse, littel kitty loves running around and ebony will not have any of it, so far ebony has pooed on my bed, on the sofa even on the breakfast bar. Ebony has also been so agrresive its unbelivable, ebony has also bitten me and bruised my hand quite badly, its not her fault though she just will not tolorate the baby, infact i'm sure she was going to kill him, so now little kitty has moved in with my inlaws who fell in love with him the moment they saw him so he will now have his forever home . I geuss i have learnt a vaulable lesson dont mess with ebony. I just feel terrible about the whole thing i honestly thought ebony would be ok.

Heres some pics of baby.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r196/littlesnowcat/kitten002.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r196/littlesnowcat/kitten001.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r196/littlesnowcat/kitten003.jpg

alexgirl73
29-04-2007, 04:13 PM
aww, he's lovely! I'm sorry to hear that he wasn't able to stay. I'm sure ebony would have come round in time, but i bet he'll be very happy where he has gone too!

dandysmom
29-04-2007, 04:31 PM
I'm sorry it didn't work out also, George was a darling little fellow and I'm glad you found a forever home for him. Some cats do take quite a while to accept a newcomer, but Ebony sounds as if she was determined not th share you with anyone else!

Elaine
29-04-2007, 05:05 PM
Taking on another cat is not an easy thing to do, sure there are some cats that are more accepting of newcomers but there are those who arent. Took me 6 months to introduce Bernie into the house with Eva. Eva was fine with Winston because he was here a very long time before her. She too was taken from her mother too early and has some social issues as well as one or two anti social ones:lol: .
All in all taking on another cat and introducing it to an existing cat needs planning, time and alot of patients. Try looking at it from the existing cats point of view, territory means everything to a cat.
I am sorry it didnt work out for you but am pleased the kitty has a new home.

Animagus
30-04-2007, 12:24 PM
It sounds like Ebony was having none of it.... sometimes it can take a while for cats to accept new additions but some cats just need to be the only ones in the household. glad George was able to go to a good forever home though and you can still visit him xxxx

Claire m
30-04-2007, 12:55 PM
Just a quick update every one, the inlaws are now saying that they are too old to care for a kitten so george is coming home to me. I have got a bigger cage for george and all nice things to go in it and a spare room he can call his own and ebony cant get to him, now as for ebony she will still be free to to go about her bussines and i will slowly but surley introduce them to each other as i have read in a few other post this is the best way to do it. I also have 2 weeks off of work so i will be able to spend all my time seeing to the kitten and ebony. My vet also reccomeded that i use rescue remedy in ebonys water to help ease any strees she has. Is this the right thing to do as i dont want to mess things up and be an idiot but thank you all for the advice and support. xxxxx

Rosie
30-04-2007, 01:54 PM
When Alfie came to live with us last year Rosie was 9. I put Alfie in the spare room and put a chicken wire barricade across the door. That way both Rosie and my lurcher Holly could see him and him them. There was a lot of hissing and spitting by Rosie and frantic whinning from Holly. Fortunately Alfie was a tough little nut and within 24 hours had integrated himself. nearly 12 months on Rosie "puts up" with him but I don't think they will ever get any closer as Rosie is a very independent mog. Nevertheless Alfie is a wonderful little cat and enjoys life to the full despite the cold shoulder by Rosie and Holly!

charliebubs
30-04-2007, 02:00 PM
I'm pleased to hear that you have George back. I think that they will get used to each other, even if they don't love each other, given time.

You have to appreciate that these things take time. You can't just put two new animals together and expect that they will get on from the start. Especially, as you have said yourself, as Ebony is not used to other animals.

I think it's great that you now have 2 weeks to spend at home and can introduce them to each other really slowly. :)

I'm sure that you'll all live happily ever after in the end!!! ;)

Fran
30-04-2007, 02:09 PM
George is gorgeous!! and I am so glad he is back home with you. Introductions can take a long time and I think you are doing everything excatly the right way by keeping George in a seperate room for a while. Rescue remedy may help and I have found my Feliway plug in invaluable when I had a problem integrating a new cat recently.

Good luck and do let us know how you get on :)

Claire m
30-04-2007, 02:47 PM
Thanks guys i will keep you posted.

kado
30-04-2007, 02:58 PM
He is realy beautiful We must be lucky all our cats get on most of the time. The only time Kay didint like simon is if he's beign in the vets and then she hisses at him.