PDA

View Full Version : I know you are all going to think i'm the most irresponsible owner ever but...

random
30-03-2007, 04:18 PM
I need advice. The girls are now a year old and haven't been spayed. They should really have been done at 6 months, but i've had a lot on my plate recently, was forced to move home but anyway, the reasons don't matter now, just the fact they haven't been spayed. There's no excuses really I know, it was just put on a back burner so many times as so much has been going on in other areas of my life.

Now they do go outside but fencing has been put up so they don't leave the garden. Ever since Nipper got out of the garden and got killed, they have not been out unsupervised, as as far as we were aware up 'til then they were staying in the garden.

Now some weeks ago a strange cat got into our house through an open window. I didn't think much of it at the time and just put it outside.

Anyway to cut to the chase as you have probably guessed, I think one or both of the black girls are pregnant and if they happen to be, I am 99% sure it is the cat that got into the house. I can't remember exactly when it happened as I didn't think much of it at the time, but a vague guess of about 4 - 6 weeks ago, which obviously means I haven't got very long to wait...

I know it's 100% my fault, they should have been spayed, I should have been more careful, believe me, i'm dissapointed 100% in myself for letting this happen. But happen it has so now obviously I need to do right by mum and kittens. (If she actually is pregnant at all, but believe me she looks that way, it's either that of a very convincing false one).

Any advice welcome but please save the lectures, i'm really upset about it and yes I know, I should be. But I do need advice as i've never had kittens before.

Thanx

Kel

smudgley
30-03-2007, 04:29 PM
What sort of advice are you after?
Advice for loooking after kittens?
Or advice about getting them spayed whilst pregnant?

Jac
30-03-2007, 04:30 PM
Firstly I would say dont beat yourself up over it. OK things happened, it's now happened.
Get the right vet care, if you do have kittens, make sure you get loveing forever homes (I'm sure you would) and then GET THE GIRLS DONE.
It's happened, such is life. Learn from it.

random
30-03-2007, 04:40 PM
I'm not sure about Jenny she's always been a bit on the chubby side, but Vitaani is the one I think most likely is. I wouldn't have them aborted smudgely, it's my fault not theirs.

Advice about giving birth, weaning, bringing them up and finding homes. They will only go to homes I have checked, or had someone to check for me. And obviously I will be keeping in touch with any owners of the kittens incase things go pear shaped. I'd even go as far to pay for them all to be done, so as this doesn't happen again to any kittens that are my responsibility.

What is the first step I should take? Book them in to get looked over? Would they need to be scanned? How much would that cost? What equiptment would I need to prepare for any arrivals? Any literature you would recommend?

I'd never planned on breeding cats so I know next to nothing, if it were one of the dogs i'd be fine. :roll:

Jac
30-03-2007, 04:42 PM
Sorry cant help you there but there are plenty that can. All the best.

smudgley
30-03-2007, 04:46 PM
OKay dokey!

Right first if all, as Jac said, what's done is done, water under the bridge & all that. You can usually tell if a cats pregnant by the teats changing, they will go pinker than usual & become slightly larger. Then it might be an idea to get them checked over by the vet, they should be able to tell on exam if they are pregnant or not & advice you on worming. Next step if they are pregnant is to get them onto a good quality food suitable for pregnant cats.
I wouldn't bother with a scan - it'll cost a fortune & will only confirm the pregnancy. You'll know soon enough one way or the other anyway.
The internet is a good place for info on pregnancy & birth, but there is a lot of knowledge on this forum, so asking q's on here is as good as anything.

random
30-03-2007, 04:51 PM
OKay dokey!

Right first if all, as Jac said, what's done is done, water under the bridge & all that. You can usually tell if a cats pregnant by the teats changing, they will go pinker than usual & become slightly larger. Then it might be an idea to get them checked over by the vet, they should be able to tell on exam if they are pregnant or not & advice you on worming. Next step if they are pregnant is to get them onto a good quality food suitable for pregnant cats.
I wouldn't bother with a scan - it'll cost a fortune & will only confirm the pregnancy. You'll know soon enough one way or the other anyway.

That's what has made me think she is, i'll get a pic and put it up, her nipples are really big as a pose to their regular size, and she's developed quite a pot belly...

I'll book the pair in on Monday to be checked and post the results.

They are on arden grange dry at the moment.

What about their ages, they are only a year old, this is what concerns me the most.

smudgley
30-03-2007, 04:55 PM
I've had plenty of cats give birth at 7 months & manage ok.

Jac
30-03-2007, 05:04 PM
I've had plenty of cats give birth at 7 months & manage ok.

See bet you feel better now.

Hreow
30-03-2007, 05:07 PM
You need to put them on a more energy-rich diet. Something deep in the fuzz and vaccuum I call my mind seems to recall giving kitten-food to the mum-to-be and while she's nursing kittens. At a year old, they're not too young to be mums, so don't worry about that bit. :-) Have a look around for a suitable (cardboard) box to keep the newborn kittens safe and out of any draft. The kittening-boxes may be rejected by the mums, but at least you've tried. ^^
Also, you're not six months late with the spaying, perhaps one. Think the standard spay is planned for 9-12 months (Castration is earlier, at six months.), so you weren't that far off, just unlucky. If they're pregnant.

random
30-03-2007, 05:11 PM
That is a reassurance thank you.

I have just rang now and they are booked in for tuesday evening, so hopefully i'll know then.

I hope I can just settle down and look forward to kittens if any are expecting, I just feel incredibly guilt ridden at the moment. I am most worried about finding the right homes for any babies I think. I have bred rabbits before, obviously a whole different species but at least i'm not completely in the dark.

random
30-03-2007, 05:17 PM
You need to put them on a more energy-rich diet. Something deep in the fuzz and vaccuum I call my mind seems to recall giving kitten-food to the mum-to-be and while she's nursing kittens. At a year old, they're not too young to be mums, so don't worry about that bit. :-) Have a look around for a suitable (cardboard) box to keep the newborn kittens safe and out of any draft. The kittening-boxes may be rejected by the mums, but at least you've tried. ^^
Also, you're not six months late with the spaying, perhaps one. Think the standard spay is planned for 9-12 months (Castration is earlier, at six months.), so you weren't that far off, just unlucky. If they're pregnant.

Tucker was castrated at 6 months. I did want to initially wait a little longer for the girls as they are all only petite cats and I was advised to wait by my vet when I took them in for a check up before they were booked in. Tucker was much bigger than the girls, he always has been so he was booked in straightaway. I just never followed it up with the girls when they got bigger, as they are primarily house cats so I wasn't too worried.

smudgley
30-03-2007, 09:08 PM

I think most vets will advise 6 months to spay a female if they go outside as they can get pregnant at 4 / 5 months old & have a litter at 6 and a half / 7 months. :(

Kim
30-03-2007, 10:12 PM
I don't think anyone will judge you for what's happened, and you will get all the advice you need.

Hreow
30-03-2007, 10:15 PM
I think most vets will advise 6 months to spay a female if they go outside as they can get pregnant at 4 / 5 months old & have a litter at 6 and a half / 7 months. :(

Guess the "9-12 months" is based on spoiled indoors cats. :-)

Luke
30-03-2007, 10:17 PM
I for one certainly do not think your iresponsible, accidents happen-simple as. Sometimes there are things in life that do hold a certain 'importance' above other things, and making that phonecall to book them in is one of these things thats always i'll do it after such n such-i know fully well:)
Good luck whatever happens.

Fran
30-03-2007, 10:59 PM
I am happy to offer advice if I can. Please feel free to post/pm if you need help.

Mags
30-03-2007, 11:06 PM
I'm sure you will get lots of advice and help from many on here Random ....... unfortunately accidents do happen ......... good luck!

random
30-03-2007, 11:13 PM
Thanx everyone for being so supportive. Just got to wait 'til Tuesday evening now before I know for sure, but will update then and go from there.

Thanx again.

Kel.

Animagus
01-04-2007, 03:56 PM
Don't feel bad Random acccidents happen in the real world... and let us know whats happening when you find out.... Good Luck to everyone xx

Sweet
01-04-2007, 04:21 PM
I am just catching up ........

I am with everyone else here, I am sure everything will be just fine and post pics along the way......((((((hugs)))))) x

Donna
01-04-2007, 08:18 PM
Hope all goes well on Tuesday at the vets. Let us know what the vet says.

charliebubs
01-04-2007, 09:33 PM
Hi Kel,
I've just posted on your other thread, but also wanted to say on here that I'll give you any advice that I can. Just ask or PM me if you need any help.

My Lily had kittens 2 weeks ago. I had been planning to breed her anyway, but this was an accidental mating and our first litter, so I'm still learning too.

Everyone on here has been a huge help to me. :)

Accidents do happen and I'm proof of that too - you just have to deal with the situation as it is now. Good luck and let us know how it goes on Tuesday. :)

borderdawn
02-04-2007, 02:42 PM
You know how I feel Random you should of prevented it, its your responsibility to do so, I cannot condone the breeding of moggies "just because" sorry. I dont want to offend, but I just cannot stand it. Dont take it to heart its my personal feelings only, there are 6 litters of kittens plus 2 of those litters free with their mothers in tonights paper, all "accidents" rescues dont stand a chance.

Again dont take it personally, I mean that :)

charliebubs
02-04-2007, 03:30 PM
You know how I feel Random you should of prevented it, its your responsibility to do so, I cannot condone the breeding of moggies "just because" sorry. I dont want to offend, but I just cannot stand it. Dont take it to heart its my personal feelings only, there are 6 litters of kittens plus 2 of those litters free with their mothers in tonights paper, all "accidents" rescues dont stand a chance.

Again dont take it personally, I mean that :)

Goodness me Dawn..............you seem to be getting softer with your postings!!!! lol :-D :shock:

borderdawn
02-04-2007, 03:55 PM
Do I? :mrgreen: I dont mean to judge I just speak out loud! I have pm'd Random also and told her this.
Dawn.

random
02-04-2007, 04:04 PM
Thanx Dawn, have replied! ;)

I know I should have prevented it, hands up on this one, 100% my fault. There are no excuses on things like this. I am dissapointed in myself for letting it happen, I assure you this. I have had many lovely moggies as pets, but would never consider breeding them as like you say, there are so many unwanted cats and kittens already, why add to the problem.

The kittens (if indeed there are any), will not be going to rescues, nor in the paper. They will want for nothing and will only go to homes I have checked, and will go there with contracts which potential owners will be required to agree to and sign. I will be keeping in touch with owners and making sure all kittens are neutered. If for some reason I am left with any number of the kittens, they will live out their lives here with me, and will be neutered at the earliest possible opportunity. I am not one to make the same mistake twice.

To be perfectly honest I was ashamed in myself that it ever got this far, and that is my own feelings not that of anyone elses. I do not condone breeding moggies or mongrels/crossbreeds for that matter, it's just something I feel there is no need for.

Jac
03-04-2007, 08:05 AM
Random I take my hat off to you. There arn't many out there who would go the "whole hogg" like you.

Good luck with the Vets today. Let us know how you get on! As if you would get away with not telling:lol: