Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
30-03-2007, 04:18 PM   #1

I know you are all going to think i'm the most irresponsible owner ever but...

I need advice. The girls are now a year old and haven't been spayed. They should really have been done at 6 months, but i've had a lot on my plate recently, was forced to move home but anyway, the reasons don't matter now, just the fact they haven't been spayed. There's no excuses really I know, it was just put on a back burner so many times as so much has been going on in other areas of my life.

Now they do go outside but fencing has been put up so they don't leave the garden. Ever since Nipper got out of the garden and got killed, they have not been out unsupervised, as as far as we were aware up 'til then they were staying in the garden.

Now some weeks ago a strange cat got into our house through an open window. I didn't think much of it at the time and just put it outside.

Anyway to cut to the chase as you have probably guessed, I think one or both of the black girls are pregnant and if they happen to be, I am 99% sure it is the cat that got into the house. I can't remember exactly when it happened as I didn't think much of it at the time, but a vague guess of about 4 - 6 weeks ago, which obviously means I haven't got very long to wait...

I know it's 100% my fault, they should have been spayed, I should have been more careful, believe me, i'm dissapointed 100% in myself for letting this happen. But happen it has so now obviously I need to do right by mum and kittens. (If she actually is pregnant at all, but believe me she looks that way, it's either that of a very convincing false one).

Any advice welcome but please save the lectures, i'm really upset about it and yes I know, I should be. But I do need advice as i've never had kittens before.

Thanx

Kel

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
30-03-2007, 04:29 PM   #2

Re: I know you are all going to think i'm the most irresponsible owner ever but...

What sort of advice are you after?
Advice for loooking after kittens?
Or advice about getting them spayed whilst pregnant?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
30-03-2007, 04:30 PM   #3

Re: I know you are all going to think i'm the most irresponsible owner ever but...

Firstly I would say dont beat yourself up over it. OK things happened, it's now happened.
Get the right vet care, if you do have kittens, make sure you get loveing forever homes (I'm sure you would) and then GET THE GIRLS DONE.
It's happened, such is life. Learn from it.

Catsey Veteran

30-03-2007, 04:40 PM   #4

I'm not sure about Jenny she's always been a bit on the chubby side, but Vitaani is the one I think most likely is. I wouldn't have them aborted smudgely, it's my fault not theirs.

Advice about giving birth, weaning, bringing them up and finding homes. They will only go to homes I have checked, or had someone to check for me. And obviously I will be keeping in touch with any owners of the kittens incase things go pear shaped. I'd even go as far to pay for them all to be done, so as this doesn't happen again to any kittens that are my responsibility.

What is the first step I should take? Book them in to get looked over? Would they need to be scanned? How much would that cost? What equiptment would I need to prepare for any arrivals? Any literature you would recommend?

I'd never planned on breeding cats so I know next to nothing, if it were one of the dogs i'd be fine.

Catsey Veteran

30-03-2007, 04:42 PM   #5

Sorry cant help you there but there are plenty that can. All the best.

Catsey Veteran

30-03-2007, 04:46 PM   #6

OKay dokey!

Right first if all, as Jac said, what's done is done, water under the bridge & all that. You can usually tell if a cats pregnant by the teats changing, they will go pinker than usual & become slightly larger. Then it might be an idea to get them checked over by the vet, they should be able to tell on exam if they are pregnant or not & advice you on worming. Next step if they are pregnant is to get them onto a good quality food suitable for pregnant cats.
I wouldn't bother with a scan - it'll cost a fortune & will only confirm the pregnancy. You'll know soon enough one way or the other anyway.
The internet is a good place for info on pregnancy & birth, but there is a lot of knowledge on this forum, so asking q's on here is as good as anything.

Catsey Veteran

30-03-2007, 04:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgley
OKay dokey!

Right first if all, as Jac said, what's done is done, water under the bridge & all that. You can usually tell if a cats pregnant by the teats changing, they will go pinker than usual & become slightly larger. Then it might be an idea to get them checked over by the vet, they should be able to tell on exam if they are pregnant or not & advice you on worming. Next step if they are pregnant is to get them onto a good quality food suitable for pregnant cats.
I wouldn't bother with a scan - it'll cost a fortune & will only confirm the pregnancy. You'll know soon enough one way or the other anyway.
That's what has made me think she is, i'll get a pic and put it up, her nipples are really big as a pose to their regular size, and she's developed quite a pot belly...

I'll book the pair in on Monday to be checked and post the results.

They are on arden grange dry at the moment.

What about their ages, they are only a year old, this is what concerns me the most.

Catsey Veteran

30-03-2007, 04:55 PM   #8

I've had plenty of cats give birth at 7 months & manage ok.

Catsey Veteran

30-03-2007, 05:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgley
I've had plenty of cats give birth at 7 months & manage ok.
See bet you feel better now.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
30-03-2007, 05:07 PM   #10

You need to put them on a more energy-rich diet. Something deep in the fuzz and vaccuum I call my mind seems to recall giving kitten-food to the mum-to-be and while she's nursing kittens. At a year old, they're not too young to be mums, so don't worry about that bit. Have a look around for a suitable (cardboard) box to keep the newborn kittens safe and out of any draft. The kittening-boxes may be rejected by the mums, but at least you've tried. ^^
Also, you're not six months late with the spaying, perhaps one. Think the standard spay is planned for 9-12 months (Castration is earlier, at six months.), so you weren't that far off, just unlucky. If they're pregnant.