PDA

View Full Version : Precious & Twinkle

smudgley
18-03-2007, 12:28 AM
Do you remember me mentioning about a man who has to give up his cats as he's going to have a big operation? Come on girls, think hard... ok you do remember, well today I had a free pen to take them into. He brought them in to me.
Twinkle & Precious, it broke his little heart to hand them over, basically he has to have a major op (he told me all about it, it's a back operation) & he'll be unable to care for the cats as he will be unable to do anything for 3/4 months & he felt he has no choice but to rehome them.
One is 6yrs & one is 9yrs. Both neutered, fully vaccinated with certifiactes from when they were kittens. He had them both when they were tiny. Precious got run over when she was 6 months & had some nerve damage & had to have her tail amputated. He nursed her through that. He gave me loads of cat food, litter tray, litter, 2 carriers, their posh blankets & their sparkly collars. I felt so sad - he lives alone & the only bloody things that love him have gone, he was lovely & sensible & said he wouldn't be able to care for them for 3-6months, so it was for their sake he had to let them go. He asked if I would mind if he called me to see how they were :cry: By which time I had a lump in my throat.
I'm going to speak to my friend & see if we can keep them here for a while & see how things go & not put them up for adoption yet. I know he'd want them back, he even said if ever they come back into us - he'd have them back, & I'm going to do everything I can to see that once he's better they can go back to him & that Precious will continue to sit by him & put her paw on his face & stroke his cheek, like he said she does!

Erin
18-03-2007, 12:37 AM
awww wat a shame,if you cant kep them there smudgley,ill keep them here untill hes well enought to have them bak,it seems a real shame he should lose them

alexgirl73
18-03-2007, 12:48 AM
Oh that is so sad!!! I'll be a foster mummy too if need be (gulp, can't believe I just said that)

dandysmom
18-03-2007, 01:45 AM
OMG.Smudgley, that brought tears to my eyes reading it! Surely someone could be found to rehome them while he recuperates and is able to have his only family back,,,:cry: I'm a single senior as you know, and that could happen to me...:cry: it must be breaking his heart...

Mags
18-03-2007, 07:13 AM
That is so sad :( I do hope this dear old man recovers well from his op and he can find his dear cats still waiting for him ......... what a tonic that would be for him!

Fran
18-03-2007, 08:08 AM
Oh gosh, I have tears in my eyes reading that :( Could a foster home be found until he is well enough to take them back?

dinahsmum
18-03-2007, 10:33 AM
Oh that is so sad - and it would aid his recovery soooo much if he could have his cats at home soon after he gets back. Will he need help in the home himself? If so, surely it's not asking too much for human carers to shop for food for the cats, put down food and water for them, even do litter trays if they don't go outside?
Or maybe a CP or other volunteer could pop in and look after the cats whilst someone else sees to the man's needs?
Failing that, I hope it might be possible to foster rather than rehome this pair.
Smudgley - do you have any contact with the Cinnamon Trust? http://www.cinnamon.org.uk/. They exist purely to help the elderly with the care and welfare of their pets. Maybe you could share responsibility in this case?

Tanya
18-03-2007, 10:46 AM
awww thats so sad. Fingers crossed that Precious and Twinkle can be fostered until 'daddy' is well enough to look after them again.

Smudgley you are a Saint! ;) I bet there is no other fosterer that is as caring and wonderful as you. :)

Kazz
18-03-2007, 11:40 AM
Jezz you've done it now I have a lump in my throat too Cleo does that touches my cheek gently to get my attention sometimes or when she's tired (ie a lot now) I do hope "WE" manage to find a solution to this. When does he go into hospital Smudgley? and will he be okay afterwards? Has he spoken to anyone about this or is he the sort of chap who would not bother anyone and decided this was the best course of action.
Rather than look for a temporary soloution ie fostering and be a bother. The cinnamon trust can help really they can good call DM, I walked a dog for an elderly couple for a while until the chap could get out again. Thats what they do.

Karen

EmmaG
18-03-2007, 12:45 PM
Shame he didn't live near me I would be more than happy to pop over every day to feed his cats, clean litter trays etc.

I really hope we can find a good solution for him

tilly
18-03-2007, 12:48 PM
I volunteer for the cinnamon trust and they should be able to help him as they also help the disabled iof they can care for there pets. They have people to foster animals as well short or long term.

Best of luck
Sally

smudgley
18-03-2007, 02:33 PM
Oh gosh, I have tears in my eyes reading that :( Could a foster home be found until he is well enough to take them back?

I am hoping so Fran.

smudgley
18-03-2007, 02:39 PM
Oh that is so sad - and it would aid his recovery soooo much if he could have his cats at home soon after he gets back. Will he need help in the home himself? If so, surely it's not asking too much for human carers to shop for food for the cats, put down food and water for them, even do litter trays if they don't go outside?
Or maybe a CP or other volunteer could pop in and look after the cats whilst someone else sees to the man's needs?
Failing that, I hope it might be possible to foster rather than rehome this pair.
Smudgley - do you have any contact with the Cinnamon Trust? http://www.cinnamon.org.uk/. They exist purely to help the elderly with the care and welfare of their pets. Maybe you could share responsibility in this case?

He will not be able to do anything for 3 or 4 months, the surgery on his spine will make him loose his mobility & he won't even be able to bend, sounds like he'll be confined to bed. He said he thinks he'll be getting some sort of home help, but unsure what at this stage.
I thought about offering to visit daily to attend to them, but he's about 5 miles from here - not far I know, but i couldn't commit to going there every day, with such a busy hectic life I lead.
He looked a truly broken hearted man when he left & he said it's killing him to do this, but he couldn't have them suffering whilst he couldn't care for them.
Most cats we have in, have never been loved, or not cared for properly, or have no home, ok sometimes with a marriage break up it's hard, but even then it usually seems the cats are the bottom of the priority list, I genuinly feel that this man loves those cats to pieces, he's cared for them... Spent over £500 on the one after her RTA - he even said that when she was run over, he told the vets - he wouldn't want her suffering & he'd rather have her PTS than see her suffer, but after an operation to remove her tail & after TLC & medication - he nursed her through... I can't bear to rehome them.

smudgley
18-03-2007, 02:48 PM
Jezz you've done it now I have a lump in my throat too Cleo does that touches my cheek gently to get my attention sometimes or when she's tired (ie a lot now) I do hope "WE" manage to find a solution to this. When does he go into hospital Smudgley? and will he be okay afterwards? Has he spoken to anyone about this or is he the sort of chap who would not bother anyone and decided this was the best course of action.
Rather than look for a temporary soloution ie fostering and be a bother. The cinnamon trust can help really they can good call DM, I walked a dog for an elderly couple for a while until the chap could get out again. Thats what they do.

Karen

He doesn't know when he will go in, today, tomorrow, next week, he has finally been promised it will be within 6 weeks. THe plan is that when he is recovered, he will be ok afterwards (or better than he is now anyway) he said, it's either carry on coping with the pain now... or go through all of this ... to be better in the end.
I can't ask him to approach the CT as the cats are now in CP care & have been signed over.
BUT the good news is, I've been in touch with the rehoming officer, who has been dealing with him before he brought them in & we are not going to put them up for adoption yet. We will probably keep them here until we know the surgery has gone well & then take it a step at a time, I could even take them over to see him when he starts picking up.
I just thought, what if - he goes in next week, surgery goes well, he's home & recovers quicker than expected! He'd be kicking himself about giving the cats up, so I need to clear things with the rehoming officer 1st & talk properly to her (only been communicating via text as she is ill) but I think, it looks like they can stay here - for a few months.:cool:

smudgley
18-03-2007, 02:52 PM
I will check out the cinnamon trust as it sounds like they may be able to help, but I'd have to approach them (not him) as it stands.

I will speak to him, once I've spoken to the rehoming lady. :)

alexgirl73
18-03-2007, 02:53 PM
That's good news Smudgley! I hope everything can work out for him and that you're able to let him know before he goes in for his surgery. I'm sure it would help him recover more quickly if he knew his precious babies were going to be coming home to him at some point! And if there's any help I can give at all, just give me a shout! I'm only 25 mins away!

Kazz
18-03-2007, 02:58 PM
Smudgley double what Alex says I am only about 40 - 50 minutes away (you know I have no sense of direction, but great at circumnavigating Pedigree stands at Crufts) I could "rearrange" to help a couple of days a week. And would be willing to help. Seriously - I mean it.

Karen

Kazz
18-03-2007, 03:01 PM
And have you got any pictures of these two they sound like my two much loved - and he must love them very much as he has done what best for them. True love.

alexgirl73
18-03-2007, 03:02 PM
oh yes!!! definitely pics please!

charliebubs
18-03-2007, 03:45 PM
Oh Smudgley that has brought tears to my eyes too. Poor man - that could happen to any of us one day and it breaks my heart. :(

I so hope that your rehoming person says that you can keep them there until he is ready to have them back. Like you say.......it might be quicker that he thinks and I'm sure it would be a huge help to him to have his darling cats there whilst he's recovering.

I'll second the others............photos please!!!! :)

Moli
18-03-2007, 04:03 PM
So sad, hope something can be done for him to at least see his cats....

Kay
18-03-2007, 04:17 PM
This is such a sad tale. I hope that something can be done to bring these 3 back together again as the all need each other.

Soupie
18-03-2007, 04:17 PM
I'll donate some funds to help keep them so they can go back to him if that helps :)

He will really need them when he gets out :( I know from personal experience how much cats can help healing!

Fran
18-03-2007, 07:52 PM
Oh Smudgley, you are a Saint!!! I can't offer physical help as I am so far away but if donations of money are needed or anything else that I could do to keep these cats with their loving dad, please let me know x

Sweet
18-03-2007, 07:58 PM
:( poor man, I really hope someone can care for them long term whilst he is unable to cope then he can have his loved ones back x

EmmaG
18-03-2007, 08:36 PM
I am also happy to donate some money if it will help :)

Kazz
18-03-2007, 08:37 PM
I am not sure money is what is needed but I could as usual be wrong.

I am sure if there is a way to keep then together then Smudgley will find it.

dandysmom
18-03-2007, 08:42 PM
I agree; Smudgley can work miracles, but if money is needed, please count me in!

smudgley
18-03-2007, 11:31 PM
You lot are so kind :cat21 but as Kazz says - money isn't the issue. We only have to blood test them, everything else he's done.

I am going to do everything I can to keep them until he is well again & if for any reason -he isn't well enough to have them back - then at least the option was there.

The rehoming officer will be fine about it, we just have to be careful about taking in cats in certain situations, to then go back to the same people, if you know what I mean. ;) I mean, we can't be used as a boarding facility for people who have no other means of getting their cats looked after, obviously this isn't the case with this man - he knew he couldn't board them anywhere for months on end, which is why he handed them into rescue. His love for his cats, made me sad to see, his little heart was breaking as he hobbled back to his little car & drove off. :cry:
So again, thankyou for the offers of donations (which reminds me -I'm doing another raffle soon, like we did before, so you can keep your pennies for that;) ) & I'll keep you posted on developments.
The cats are fine & I will get some photos, probably not until next weekend though.

Kazz
18-03-2007, 11:34 PM
Will you let him know you are keeping them for a while Smudgley? so he is not so worried and has a "aim" to get better for.

smudgley
18-03-2007, 11:36 PM
Yes Kazz, I will chat with him about it, once I've chatted in detail with the R.O, she currently has a kidney infection, so I won't bother her with CP stuff until she's better. :)

dandysmom
18-03-2007, 11:39 PM
Oh yes, I know that would mean the world to me if I'd had to leave my cats... would be a great incentive to him during his recovery...

alexgirl73
21-06-2007, 08:05 AM
Hi Smudgley, just wondering if you had an update on these two and their owner. was thinking about them yesterday and wondered how they were getting on!

Kazz
21-06-2007, 11:48 AM
Now thats weird Alex I was thinking of them too.

charliebubs
21-06-2007, 01:51 PM
This thread has brought tears to my eyes again!! lol :roll:

I do hope that Precious, Twinkle and their daddy are all doing well. :?

Jac
21-06-2007, 04:09 PM
This is the first time Ive seen this thread and I'm in tears too.
Smudgley, it sounds like a similar op to the one I had. It will be months before he can feed his cats, clean up there litter ect BUT a few days before he can cuddle them;) . If there is someone who is willing to feed them and clean there litter then bob's your uncle so to speak. He'll recover much quicker.

You are a star for helping him. ((((((((())))))))) hugs.

smudgley
21-06-2007, 10:58 PM
They went to the indoor fosterer & I put the man in touch with her, so I haven't heard anything for a while.

I will try & find out how things are.

Fran
22-06-2007, 12:00 AM
An update would be lovely Smugdley :cool: I am so praying for a happy ending here.......

mable1718
22-06-2007, 08:13 AM
aww i hope he gets better soon and keep us updated