Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
18-03-2007, 12:28 AM   #1

Precious & Twinkle

Do you remember me mentioning about a man who has to give up his cats as he's going to have a big operation? Come on girls, think hard... ok you do remember, well today I had a free pen to take them into. He brought them in to me.
Twinkle & Precious, it broke his little heart to hand them over, basically he has to have a major op (he told me all about it, it's a back operation) & he'll be unable to care for the cats as he will be unable to do anything for 3/4 months & he felt he has no choice but to rehome them.
One is 6yrs & one is 9yrs. Both neutered, fully vaccinated with certifiactes from when they were kittens. He had them both when they were tiny. Precious got run over when she was 6 months & had some nerve damage & had to have her tail amputated. He nursed her through that. He gave me loads of cat food, litter tray, litter, 2 carriers, their posh blankets & their sparkly collars. I felt so sad - he lives alone & the only bloody things that love him have gone, he was lovely & sensible & said he wouldn't be able to care for them for 3-6months, so it was for their sake he had to let them go. He asked if I would mind if he called me to see how they were By which time I had a lump in my throat.
I'm going to speak to my friend & see if we can keep them here for a while & see how things go & not put them up for adoption yet. I know he'd want them back, he even said if ever they come back into us - he'd have them back, & I'm going to do everything I can to see that once he's better they can go back to him & that Precious will continue to sit by him & put her paw on his face & stroke his cheek, like he said she does!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggy
18-03-2007, 12:37 AM   #2

Re: Precious & Twinkle

awww wat a shame,if you cant kep them there smudgley,ill keep them here untill hes well enought to have them bak,it seems a real shame he should lose them

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
18-03-2007, 12:48 AM   #3

Oh that is so sad!!! I'll be a foster mummy too if need be (gulp, can't believe I just said that)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
18-03-2007, 01:45 AM   #4

OMG.Smudgley, that brought tears to my eyes reading it! Surely someone could be found to rehome them while he recuperates and is able to have his only family back,,, I'm a single senior as you know, and that could happen to me... it must be breaking his heart...

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
18-03-2007, 07:13 AM   #5

That is so sad I do hope this dear old man recovers well from his op and he can find his dear cats still waiting for him ......... what a tonic that would be for him!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
18-03-2007, 08:08 AM   #6

Oh gosh, I have tears in my eyes reading that Could a foster home be found until he is well enough to take them back?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
18-03-2007, 10:33 AM   #7

Oh that is so sad - and it would aid his recovery soooo much if he could have his cats at home soon after he gets back. Will he need help in the home himself? If so, surely it's not asking too much for human carers to shop for food for the cats, put down food and water for them, even do litter trays if they don't go outside?
Or maybe a CP or other volunteer could pop in and look after the cats whilst someone else sees to the man's needs?
Failing that, I hope it might be possible to foster rather than rehome this pair.
Smudgley - do you have any contact with the Cinnamon Trust? http://www.cinnamon.org.uk/. They exist purely to help the elderly with the care and welfare of their pets. Maybe you could share responsibility in this case?

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: SHD x3 and LHD X1
18-03-2007, 10:46 AM   #8

awww thats so sad. Fingers crossed that Precious and Twinkle can be fostered until 'daddy' is well enough to look after them again.

Smudgley you are a Saint! I bet there is no other fosterer that is as caring and wonderful as you.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
18-03-2007, 11:40 AM   #9

Jezz you've done it now I have a lump in my throat too Cleo does that touches my cheek gently to get my attention sometimes or when she's tired (ie a lot now) I do hope "WE" manage to find a solution to this. When does he go into hospital Smudgley? and will he be okay afterwards? Has he spoken to anyone about this or is he the sort of chap who would not bother anyone and decided this was the best course of action.
Rather than look for a temporary soloution ie fostering and be a bother. The cinnamon trust can help really they can good call DM, I walked a dog for an elderly couple for a while until the chap could get out again. Thats what they do.

Karen

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
18-03-2007, 12:45 PM   #10

Shame he didn't live near me I would be more than happy to pop over every day to feed his cats, clean litter trays etc.

I really hope we can find a good solution for him