PDA

View Full Version : Fur for the birds

dandysmom
06-03-2007, 10:30 PM
The birds are starting to sing again and nesting time won't be far off. Years ago I read that it was a good idea to save the fur from combing/brushing your cat and put it out for the birds to line their nests with....been doing it ever since. I drape it in the azalea bushes near the bird feeder, and it vanishes pretty quickly! I think it's ironic and rather sweet that Leia would love to catch a bird, but instead her fur is helping raise little ones! Does anyone else do this?

Mags
06-03-2007, 10:33 PM
What a good idea Eileen, I've never thought of doing that. Cassie is brushed regularly and her fur goes straight in the bin :?

I think I'll now take a leaf out of your book and do the same :D ......... thanks for the tip!

dandysmom
06-03-2007, 10:46 PM
You're welcome! I mentioned this to Logoes in a PM last year, and think I told Kazz also; thought it might make an interesting post to those of us with gardens and birds. I have a good-sized clump of fur ready to go out as soon as Winter loses its grip...supposed to snow again tomorrow.....:roll:

alexgirl73
06-03-2007, 11:07 PM
Also the hair of of your own hairbrush too. I've been putting that out for the last few years, and if you have a tumble drier the fluff from that!!!

dandysmom
06-03-2007, 11:12 PM
Alex, I never once thought of my own hair...how obvious! Thanks!

Moli
06-03-2007, 11:18 PM
I brush the cats and Mollie and leave the fur on a tree branch, they soon start to collect it for their nests....Especially the Blackbirds...

Fran
06-03-2007, 11:27 PM
What a brilliant idea Eileen!! I don't encourage birds into my garden as I have so many 'keen' cats but that really is a good idea ;)

dandysmom
06-03-2007, 11:37 PM
I can't take credit for it, Fran; read it years ago.

Rosie
07-03-2007, 11:58 AM
It is funny you should mention this because a friend of mine had a strip torn off her when she was combing her dog on the local bridleway and leaving it. When she politely turned round and said she was doing it deliberately so that the birds would have something soft to lay their eggs on the other person was left with a very red face:oops:

On a sad note my Rosie presented me with a poor dead little fledgling the other morning so there must have been some early arrivals.

dinahsmum
07-03-2007, 12:37 PM
I put combings out too. A sort of quid pro quo for the future fatalities :roll: I'm sure Bentley will be an asiduous hunter - he goes crazy watching the birds at the feeder. (What's the name of the hunting noise they make? - I've forgotten :? You know what I mean - whe, whe, whe?)

dandysmom
07-03-2007, 04:41 PM
I didn't know that noise had a name! To me it sounds like a rather high-pitched rapid eh eh eh eh !

dinahsmum
07-03-2007, 05:04 PM
I didn't know that noise had a name! To me it sounds like a rather high-pitched rapid eh eh eh eh !
I tried to google it but no luck
However, I found a very interesting article about cat noises. Here's the link. Sorry it's way off topic!:)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/2001913.stm

dandysmom
07-03-2007, 05:16 PM
Thanks, that was a very interesting link! I agree, they learn very quickly how to manipulate us, lol !

Elaine
07-03-2007, 06:18 PM
All very interesting and I will keep it all in kind when i eventually get my own garden.

dandysmom
07-03-2007, 09:00 PM
I must Google seagulls and learn what they line their nests with.....:-D

yola
07-03-2007, 11:36 PM
Very interesting!!! Currently, being in hair-loss mode (me, not the cats; post-preg hormones) I think I shall start saving hair and also cat-fur in earnest. It never, ever occurred to me that birds could make do with our redundant 'fluff'.

Thanks for the tip. Eileen :D

dandysmom
07-03-2007, 11:41 PM
I know what you mean, Yola, it's one of those obvious things that make you think, "Doh, why didn't that occur to me"?

Sweet
08-03-2007, 09:08 PM
Brilliant idea, I for one will be doing just that from now on....the neighbours may give me funny looks though! x

dandysmom
08-03-2007, 09:49 PM
Tuck it in the shrubs so it won't blow away on a windy day, maybe the neighbors won't notice it before the birds carry it off ! :-D

alexgirl73
08-03-2007, 10:21 PM
Mine gets put into the hedge beside the bird feeders! You'll be amazed at how quickly it disappears at this time of year.