Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
06-03-2007, 10:30 PM   #1

Fur for the birds

The birds are starting to sing again and nesting time won't be far off. Years ago I read that it was a good idea to save the fur from combing/brushing your cat and put it out for the birds to line their nests with....been doing it ever since. I drape it in the azalea bushes near the bird feeder, and it vanishes pretty quickly! I think it's ironic and rather sweet that Leia would love to catch a bird, but instead her fur is helping raise little ones! Does anyone else do this?

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
06-03-2007, 10:33 PM   #2

Re: Fur for the birds

What a good idea Eileen, I've never thought of doing that. Cassie is brushed regularly and her fur goes straight in the bin

I think I'll now take a leaf out of your book and do the same ......... thanks for the tip!

Catsey Veteran

06-03-2007, 10:46 PM   #3

You're welcome! I mentioned this to Logoes in a PM last year, and think I told Kazz also; thought it might make an interesting post to those of us with gardens and birds. I have a good-sized clump of fur ready to go out as soon as Winter loses its grip...supposed to snow again tomorrow.....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
06-03-2007, 11:07 PM   #4

Also the hair of of your own hairbrush too. I've been putting that out for the last few years, and if you have a tumble drier the fluff from that!!!

Catsey Veteran

06-03-2007, 11:12 PM   #5

Alex, I never once thought of my own hair...how obvious! Thanks!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
06-03-2007, 11:18 PM   #6

I brush the cats and Mollie and leave the fur on a tree branch, they soon start to collect it for their nests....Especially the Blackbirds...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
06-03-2007, 11:27 PM   #7

What a brilliant idea Eileen!! I don't encourage birds into my garden as I have so many 'keen' cats but that really is a good idea

Catsey Veteran

06-03-2007, 11:37 PM   #8

I can't take credit for it, Fran; read it years ago.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 cats
07-03-2007, 11:58 AM   #9

It is funny you should mention this because a friend of mine had a strip torn off her when she was combing her dog on the local bridleway and leaving it. When she politely turned round and said she was doing it deliberately so that the birds would have something soft to lay their eggs on the other person was left with a very red face

On a sad note my Rosie presented me with a poor dead little fledgling the other morning so there must have been some early arrivals.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
07-03-2007, 12:37 PM   #10

I put combings out too. A sort of quid pro quo for the future fatalities I'm sure Bentley will be an asiduous hunter - he goes crazy watching the birds at the feeder. (What's the name of the hunting noise they make? - I've forgotten You know what I mean - whe, whe, whe?)