PDA

View Full Version : Chloe not well????

Donna
19-12-2006, 07:15 PM
Chloe has been acting weird today. In and out of the garden all day - usually she is tucked up indoors snoozing on my bed. Very restless.

Also I have caught her a few times in the litter tray but when I go near her she runs away. Not seen much evidence of actually going in the litter tray tho.

Are my instincts of cystitus justified???

borderdawn
19-12-2006, 08:37 PM
Possibly yes if she keeps going to the tray, just try to see what she has done, look for blood, let her do it and dive in before she covers it! Good luck, if it is cystitis she should do fine with a course of anti-biotics.
Dawn.

Donna
19-12-2006, 08:42 PM
She isnt covering her stuff at the mo - she is literally jumping right out of the tray as if she has been shocked. Not seen any blood or wee to be honest.

I have booked an appt for 9.30 tomorrow at the vets just in case. If she makes a drastic improvement overnight I can cancel (although I am there anyway with Twinkle's first vacc).

Booked two appts and realised I have only got one carrier doh!!!!!

tilly
19-12-2006, 09:14 PM
Hope she gets better soon

Sally

yola
19-12-2006, 09:17 PM
I've only experienced a male cat with cystitis, but it sounds very similar. Squatting with no pee coming out is typical, plus crying in pain (it's heartbreaking to hear).

I think you're wise to get Chloe to the vet. All the best!

Donna
19-12-2006, 09:28 PM
With the vets shut over Xmas I am not taking any chances - cant afford emergency treatment!!! She has gone out again now which is unusual for her.

She is not crying or anything. Just wont sit still. Not seen her eat or drink much either today (but she isnt the greatest eater). But she has had moments of play too.

dandysmom
19-12-2006, 09:38 PM
Does she eat mostly dry food? I understand that that may be a cause of cystitis in the famale. She's not crying when she tries to urinate, is she? And you haven't seen any blood? Leia had a spell like that a month or so back, but it only lasted two days and she was completely back to normal: I cut out all her dry food and gave her tins with lots of gravy, She didn't cry, nor was there any tinge of blood, although the amount of wee was very small. She was playful throughout it, eating and drinking normally and stools were as usual.

Fran
19-12-2006, 09:49 PM
Certainly sounds like it could be a bit of a urine infection. I think you are wise getting her checked over. Do let us know how she goes on...

Donna
19-12-2006, 09:56 PM
Well she has just been out in the garden again and has done a no2 (excuse the tone of the conversation!).

She seems to have done a small wee in the tray and has eaten a bowl of wet food. Also had a small amount of water with tiny bit of milk to colour it to trick her.

She usually has wet food, but over the last few days I have used Whiskers and she doesnt like it so has probably eaten more dry food as that is down all day.

Have taken away the dried food and have gone back to Felix which is her favourite - hence the whole bowl of food eaten!!

Will keep on watching her.

Donna
20-12-2006, 09:25 AM
I had a restless night. Although Chloe was quiet I kept waking up. She sleeps on a chair in my room.

This morning I have not let her out and noticed she was sitting in the litter tray for AGES and finally produced a tiny wee which looked bloodstained.

Vets 9.30am.

yola
20-12-2006, 09:36 AM
That does sound like cystitis - good luck, please let us know how Chloe gets on!

tilly
20-12-2006, 09:40 AM
Hope all goes weel at the vets
Sally

Mags
20-12-2006, 10:46 AM
Good luck at the vets Donna......

Give Chloe a cuddle from me :cool:

Donna
20-12-2006, 11:23 AM
Back from vets. Definately cystitus. Stress related vet suspects as most cases are not down to an infection.

Antibiotics (although not infection does help apparently)
Anti Inflamatory
Painkiller.

Had injections today and then a course of Metacam drops and A/B tablets. Going back Friday.

Vet also suggested Feliway and a water fountain.

Fran
20-12-2006, 11:26 AM
Interesting that your vet should say that it is not an infection. Cystitis is an infection of the bladder in humans. Must be different for cats? What stress do you think has lead to this?
Hope the medication soon makes her feel better..

Donna
20-12-2006, 11:30 AM
Interesting that your vet should say that it is not an infection. Cystitis is an infection of the bladder in humans :? What stress do you think has lead to this?
Hope the medication soon makes her feel better..

Vet says two types of cystitus and in cats it is rare that it is an infection. In humans more likely infection.

She is always a stressy cat and have noticed she has been outside more as I have been off work and there are always at least two other cats in my back garden at any one time. Thought Chloe getting better with other cats, but maybe they were stressing her just being in the garden when she was outside. They appear friendly generally but she is scared of EVERYTHING. She did get shut out as the flap is locked as Misty cant use it, and I just let them out and shut the door. And let them in when I see them waiting.

Fran
20-12-2006, 11:32 AM
I hope she picks up soon and that the Feliway helps reduce her stress x

yola
20-12-2006, 11:36 AM
The stress thing makes sense. The cat that gets cystitis here is Balie and he's the nervous one. However, my vet's never mentioned that it could be stress related, instead tested for crystals etc.

Interesting . . . I will invest in some Felliway and see if that makes a difference (cats are getting a water fountain for Christmas . . . don't tell them though)!! ;)

Donna
20-12-2006, 11:39 AM
The stress thing makes sense. The cat that gets cystitis here is Balie and he's the nervous one. However, my vet's never mentioned that it could be stress related, instead tested for crystals etc.

Interesting . . . I will invest in some Felliway and see if that makes a difference (cats are getting a water fountain for Christmas . . . don't tell them though)!! ;)

He said as it was her first time with this it is his diagnosis. If she was returning time after time he said he would investigate further.

I will get some Feliway and a water fountain asap.

You will have to let me know if you think your cats drink more with their new fountain Yola!

dinahsmum
20-12-2006, 11:42 AM
Mine love the fountain Donna. They seem to drink quite a lot - certainly did in the hot weather.
Interesting about the stress. A Feliway diffuser might do her a lot of good. Hope she picks up soon.

tilly
20-12-2006, 12:01 PM
Hope she gets better soon.

Sally

Mags
20-12-2006, 12:58 PM
Chloe's vet visit today seems to have proved very interesting Donna ........ I have learnt a lot from it ;)

I hope the medication soon starts to work and she'll be well for Christmas (((hugs)))

Donna
20-12-2006, 02:27 PM
Thanks for all your kind words everyone.

She seems a little better already. Less restless. Not letting her out today. Emma made her a bed with my faux fur throw in front of the fire and she has been snoozing a fair bit in the warm (she is treated better than I am!!).

It does make sense regarding stress - he did say that you had to use Feliway for about a month for you to notice a difference - dont get rid of it straight away if you think its not working.

Anyone else use Feliway and have you noticed a difference??

borderdawn
20-12-2006, 05:22 PM
Glad she is getting better Donna.

I had a feliway for my Cat I lost a few years ago, he peed in the house on occasion and it was suggested, so I got one and he peed on that too!!! However he stopped peeing in the house by himself.
Dawn.