PDA

View Full Version : Oli getting fat ...

Tanya
18-12-2006, 10:01 PM
We have noticed over the last week that Oli has a rather tubby tummy and double chin (only when he is led down!!). He has been eating alot lately, so this is probably something to do with it.

At the moment he is eating upto four pouches (100g each) every day, aswell as some Royal Canin Kitten biscuits. He drinks small amounts of water.

I dont give him food until he has finished what is in the bowl and he usually goes to his bowl and meaws when he wants to be fed some more.

He is very active & has his 'crazy' time (running around and going mad) morning and night!

Am i over-feeding him or is does this sound ok? I dont want to end up with a fat, unhealthy cat!

Jac
18-12-2006, 10:03 PM
Sounds alot to me. How old is he? When was he wormed last. Is he a rescue? The reason I ask is because he could have starved in the past and has " a food thing"

dandysmom
18-12-2006, 10:07 PM
I'm going to leave this one up to some of the more eperienced members. My Leia gets two tins of canned food a day (3 oz, or 85 grams) and approximately a half cup of dried food; she doesn't drink much water, and won't drink milk. She's on the portly side, weighs 14+ pounds, and isn't very active, she's 6 1/2. I tried some of the low-cal dried food, but she hates it!!

kado
18-12-2006, 10:09 PM
My cat guinness is rather large but he doesn't do anything except eat, sleep and use his litter tray. he can go out if he wants to but he is just to lazy and he hasn't got a big appitite him mum was realy tiny. They all have dry food down all the time but will have to figure something out because of simons diet. A friend of mine has 4 cats who get 2 tins of cat food and a dish of dry a day one is realy large bigger than guinness.

Tanya
18-12-2006, 10:09 PM
He is about 6 months old now & I have had him since he was 13 weeks old (i got him from a breeder but he was rather skinny when i got him!)

He has been wormed every two weeks since i had him & was last wormed on Friday. Hope this helps!!

Elaine
18-12-2006, 10:15 PM
It does sound like alot of food to me but then again, like humans, cats metabolism can vary too, other factors are age and activity levels.
Personally, I'd suggest talking with your vet as he/she will probably know more about your cats history, age, breed etc and should be able to advise better.

Rosie
19-12-2006, 09:57 AM
Alfie is 7 months and Rosie is 9 years - they get one tin of cat food and a cup of dried food between them a day. They are both chubby and have little belly droops. They get fed at 6.00 in the morning and 6.00 at night and that is all (apart from weekend when they get turkey (actually cheaper than any cat food)).

charliebubs
19-12-2006, 02:19 PM
Does sound like a lot of food to me. My lot get one pouch in the morning and one at night of wet food and there is always dried food down for them to graze on.
Four pouches a day does seem quite a lot and also kitten biscuits are more fattening - perhaps at 6 months old he could now be introduced to adult biscuits? Is the wet food kitten food too?
:)

Tanya
19-12-2006, 02:29 PM
No, the wet food is adult food because he doesnt like kitten wet food! These four pouches are only the equivalent to one tin, its doen't sound so much when you put it that way! ;)

charliebubs
19-12-2006, 02:30 PM
No, the wet food is adult food because he doesnt like kitten wet food! These four pouches are only the equivalent to one tin, its doen't sound so much when you put it that way! ;)

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!! LOL
:lol:

Elaine
19-12-2006, 11:06 PM
Would that be a small tin or a big tin ?LOL

dandysmom
19-12-2006, 11:27 PM
A small tin here is 3 oz.or 85 grams.........

Tanya
19-12-2006, 11:31 PM
a big tin ... that is 400g.

Assuming that I am feeding Oli too much, how do I feed him less? He meow's and goes crazy, purrring and climbing all over me and the worktops until i feed him! :)

Elaine
19-12-2006, 11:34 PM
If you are going to reduce his food, I would do it very gradually. How about hiding his food and making it a bit of a game of hunt. That way it would make meal times a bit more interesting for him and keep him active too.

dandysmom
19-12-2006, 11:37 PM
That sounds really good in theory, but how do you hide the food, Elaine, when the cat is at your footsteps clamoring for it? Not being picky, really don't know how one would get away with it.......??

Elaine
19-12-2006, 11:44 PM
Hmmmm. Didnt think it through did I :lol:
Well, you could try shutting the cat in one room while hiding the food around the house or something. I know it still needs some more thought but its a plan to start off with.
My friend once built a small pyramid with loo rolls and placed little cat treats in some of them to keep the cats ocupied for a little while.

Tanya
19-12-2006, 11:48 PM
I really dont think hiding the food will work!! He knows where the food is stored & meow's stood by the cupboard if i ignore him. Ive tried putting treats in his toys before & he hasnt been interested in them. (Sorry!!)

Elaine
19-12-2006, 11:49 PM
Oh well, sorry I cannt think of anything else at the mo.

Tanya
19-12-2006, 11:51 PM
Thanks for offering advice, I really do appreciate it! I'm just sorry i have such a fussy and 'pig' of a cat! ;)

dandysmom
19-12-2006, 11:55 PM
I guess just very gradually cutting down on the portions might work, the same way you put a tiny bit of new food in with the old food when you're trying to introduce a different one...might take a while, but every less calorie helps.....good luck!!

Donna
20-12-2006, 09:36 AM
My two cats get a quarter of a tin each in the morning and quarter of a tin at night so the two of them use one tin a day. They have dried food down but it is not eaten much. One of my cats is admittedly a small cat but the other is a bruiser!!!

Your cat is having twice as much as my two cats - could you try reducing the amounts each time - say instead of a whole pouch give him half? Once he has eaten that, could you not distract him when he miaows for more!!!

Just a suggestion!

charliebubs
20-12-2006, 03:15 PM
I think you should reduce his food amounts, but definitely gradually. Maybe give small amounts more frequently (if you're at home and able to do this?! or have an automatic feeder?!)
Just a suggestion :)

Tanya
20-12-2006, 03:22 PM
So far he has only had one pouch and some dried biscuits today. He has been driving me crazy wih his meowing and jumping on the worktops, but I have told him it is for his own good! Poor thing probably thinks im starving him, but he can have another pouch when i get back from uni and then a third one before bed. That means that i will have cut out one pouch from his diet already. Woohoo!! ;) (I hope i havent cut down his meals too quickly, but i think sooner is better than later!)

Elaine
20-12-2006, 08:20 PM
What about finding out more about bulking out the food with pasta or something to make him feel full. Personally I feel you would be better consulting your vet or some sort of animal dietician as people can really do some serious damage to animals by putting them on diets at home with out any real structure to them.